Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia responds to reports about the N900 micro-usb...

Registered Member
nokiman

Re: Nokia responds to reports about the N900 micro-usb port getting detached

hi to all

Please use plain text.
Advisor
yanness

Hi all,

I have just experienced the mini usb problem that everyone is talking about. It is a real issue. I have heard of this problem before buying my N900 so I was very careful when using it and charging it. But the problem occured. I just sent an email to them and waiting for a reponse.

Action must be taken from these problems that every N900 owners experienced or will experience. I taught that if I manipulate my phone with care I won't have the same problem. But unfortunately it happened.

This is a design defect and this issue can undermine the potential sale and popularity of the N900. On top of that Nokia Corporation could suffer from it.

I hope that steps have been taken to solve this problem one and for once and that futur N900 and new nokia phone manufactured with a mini usb port won't suffer the same issue.

I will update with their response.

Cheers

Please use plain text.
tom_pitt

Hi,

I sent my n900 (with broken micro-USB) to a repair center and now I'm told its out of warranty and I'll have to pay to get it fixed. I'm deeply frustrated by this because the phone was only a few months old and I took good care of it. I even bought it from the flagship Nokia store in NYC a few days after it was released. The way I'm being treated by customer care is terrible. They rarely answer my questions and often I need to send the same email twice because they never respond to the first.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks,

Tom

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
buxi07

hai!

mine usb port also have broken and i am in middle east in pakistan.when i visited to nokia care centre to repair my device.they took the device and gave me 15 days time but after 15 days they returned it me by saying that your device is rejected and cant be repaired....MAiN thing is that i can compromise with and using my device happily BUT now i want to update it...!!!!

can any one tell me how to update it without using datacable???when i go to app manager and start maemo update it says that u must connect the device with your pc to run the software updater via usb.......p.lease guys give me suggestion so that i can atleast update my device...!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
deanyoid1

You can do it through a bluetooth enabled pc I think!

Please use plain text.
gawbul

I had this problem recently and had the phone sent away to Carphone Warhouse and then on to Nokia for repair.

I'm not sure if it is a new device I have received back, or one with a newly soldered micro-USB port, but it's back and working lovely.

Hopefully this won't happen again, but I don't know many phones with 24 month warranty, so I'm covered if it does!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
EbonieJ

I am glad that Nokia sees this as a Problem . Sad thing for me (an avid Nokia User), I am now getting the run around from Nokia as to when i will be getting back my N900 that i sent to them for this said problem. I rely on my N900 for lots of things and it would now appear that i might have to get me one of those devices that have recently launched and are making waves in the Mobile industry. Love my Nokia but if there is an indefinite period of waiting for mine to repair than Maybe Nokia will consider reimbursing me for the phone and keep it.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
EbonieJ

Hi All, Got my N900 back from Nokia (UK) today... They replace rather than repair the handset. My only hope is that the replacement has been checked to ensure that problem don't reoccur. With some luck, i will be back in love with my N900. Cheers guys

Please use plain text.
Advisor
khristi80

i've had the same problem with the mini usb charger.

i've been to carphone warehouse(from where i bought the phone) and today (06.08)after almost 3 weeks i have taken my phone back repaired under warranty but it camed broken :smileysad:

now i have another problem(it worked fine before i was to cpw) it seems that i have lost the "32 gb memory" ...i'm getting this message"memory card format unsupported"

i will send it back but anyone knows where should i go 'cause i don't want to wait again 3 weeks to get my phone fixed(i have tried to reflash it but still i have the same problem)

any advice ? where should i go to my phone?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
EbonieJ

Your Phone should still be under warranty so Send it directly back to Nokia. The Nokia.co.uk Website tells you how to send it ...they even arrange for it to be collected from you by UPS.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ceroberts75

thats amazing.  in the USA there is only one tech center, it is Alabama, you send it in yourself, and it can take as long as 3-5 weeks to get it back!

one time, i sent in my 9500 and they lost it, and had to cut me a check!  

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
broly

this reply is for you shauser..........

i currently use nokia 5800 (i feel this phone is swift n awesome), n looking forward buying n900,

but really got scared reading all those problems,n all those unsatisfied answers.

I really need your suggestion to make my mind clear in buying this phone or not.

i never use any phone rather than nokia,i really have trust in nokia...but this time its different.

the problem mentioned here is really a big issue, and need to be solved asap.

but nokia looks like ignoring the issue...

i feel you are more reliable than nokia....thats why i'm posting this reply for you.

please help me out....n suggest at your best.....

REGARDS-

SUJAY

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Nokia has asked me to assemble experiences of N900 owners suffering the usb breakage issue, especially regarding their encounters with Nokia Care.

Please see the article below for further information:

http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com/2010/08/29/the-n900-microusb-defect-and-your-chance-to-do-somet...

Please use plain text.
okitoki

posted this on the maemo forum, and have been advised to post here

this was what I have posted.

---------

Been lurking around here for awhile learning about my N900....

But sad to say my new N900 I bought less than 3 months ago has it's USB port broken off.

I returned it to my phone service provider (Optus) and after 2 weeks waiting, I have been told today the phone is "Physically damaged" and will not be covered under warranty. After much to and fro, I have been advised to call Nokia, in which Nokia customer service assured me it will be covered under warranty... They even gave me a reference number to give the local Nokia customer service center.... I was pretty happy with the outcome

After driving close to 30mins to my nearest service center (only one in Perth, W.Australia), the service girl had a look at it, brought it to their tech guy, and came back telling me its a "Physical Damage" and wont be covered under warranty. I replied by telling her I have read in a few internet forum (including here and Nokia) that the USB breaking is a known issue among N900 users. her reply was: "Dont believe everything you hear on the internet" .... not happy

Her suggestion to me was the only way to fix the phone is to replace the board. and by doing so, the cost out of my pocket will be nearly the same as buying a new phone.... so.... she told me "Go buy a new phone".....

Unfortunately, after many years of using different mobile phones, I never had any hardware failures like this... ever... pretty disappointed with the quality and customer service.

As I am still under contract with Optus (21 months left), it was fortunate Optus Customer service is willing to help out (even though I dont have phone insurance) by reducing some of my costs in getting a new phone.

----------

Unfortunately, the Australian Nokia care service are not aware of the issues with the broken USB problem, and seems like they are still using the "User Error" response.  Im sending in my N900 tomorrow again, but this time round the assesment will be documented (as I found out the first time I brought it to the care center, they didnt document the assement of physical damage)

It is extremely frustrating that Nokia is not communicating this issue to all care center, the lack of empathy when discussing the issue with the service support people. Sadly, Nokia care doesnt take this forum seriesly, as I have mentioned that it has been posted here by different users, and with Nokia's response.... they still dont care :smileysad:

and to consider I just found my Sony Ericson P900 I had since 2003/4, after heavy usage, and overnight recharge, I can use it with no issues ... my GF is using my old Iphone 3 I had for 2.5 years with no issues.  I find it highly insulting to hear a reponse of "It has passed the QA test of your store, so it must be your fault"

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hammy

With under 5 months careful use the USB became loose on my N900 and the USB charging and data stopped.  I believe that Nokia would fix this under warrently, but sending the handset off and potentially getting a replacement/recondition handset returned.

Foolishly I only had a very old backup and without the means to either charge or take a backup :smileysad:  I did not want to loose everything on my phone.  I went to a local Nokia Repairer and they re-soldered the USB socket back onto the board and was fixed the next day for 25UKP.   Worth it to avoid loosing my data and spending many hours 're-building' my phone back with all my apps etc.

I am now filing down the lugs (protrusions) on the micro USB plugs to ensure they pull out with minimum force. 

I will also be taking regular backups !!  and I advice all phone and PC owners to faithfully take backups - a few minutes each week to start off a backup and protetc your data/appa is well worth it !

--
HammY
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ceroberts75

OMG!

this has to be a record!

just checked the status of my device, it was actually input into the system the same day it was recieved!  and already shows shipped replacement!

usually takes at least 2-2.5 weeks.  i just may have it before the weekend depending on if it actually went out today...being that monday is a holiday in the USA, i hope it gets here before the weekend.

(i miss my speed!!!  back on my e90, only 2.75g on Tmo.)

heck, i am so excited about Nokia doing this so fast, ima share some kudos with the nokia reps on this blog!  :smileywink:

Repair History:

Status date Status
Current StatusShipped Replacement Phone
08/31/10Received
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
KindArt

I woke up this morning to find that my charger point was actually connected to the USB cable and there was a whole in the top of my phone.

I sure hope that the care centre in London will accept this. I think I might just show up with my laptop and this forum on screen so they can't deny it. This is quite annoying =(

I'll let you know if it gets sorted out!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kowla

Hii,

Im having the same issue right now, but Nokia told me that they are going to replace my device. :smileyhappy: can u tell me how long did u wait till you got your replacement N900 back. I missed my phone like tonesss!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ceroberts75

took me 9 days to get it back.  calendar days, and i shipped it to them 2-day air and they shipped it back priority mail.  so 2-3 days usps.   i sent it out on thursday, it was delivered on monday, and recieved my replacement on saturday.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
KindArt

Recieved my handset back today after giving it in at a care point in London 1 week ago.

It seems they have given me a new device, although it looks like I have the same back cover (quite confusing)

None the less its fine! - I hope you all get your phones fixed!

Please use plain text.