Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Ovi map on N900

Advisor

Ovi map on N900

Can anyone tell me about Ovi map on N900.. do the Ovi map 3.0 having the same function with 2.0 ? The version 3.0 must used with connect wifi or GPRS ?  can the version 3.0 show the map and routing without Connect with GPRS same like 2.0 ? and can i install version 2.0 to my N900 ?

sorry for this noob question !!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Ovi maps for S60 handsets, including v3.0, does NOT require a GPRS connection to view maps.. I used an N97 and Nokia's Ovi suite to upload the maps to the phone. The maps would work when I was out of coverage and were always available.

it is the same for the Ovi maps for Maemo software on the N900. You can use the Nokia Maps loader (not Ovi Suite) to upload maps to the device when it is attached in Mass storage mode..

In the same way you can't install iphone software on the N900, you can't install S60 software on the N900..even though they are both made by  Nokia. The Ovi Maps software on the N900 is very different and quite cut down.. it doesn't support navigation support or paid for services yet, though this will come in a later version.

At the moment it is not much more than a moving map..

The recent firmware update (PR1.1) did improve the maps software, but there is still a fair bit of work to do

Please use plain text.
Advisor

thx for answer for my question, but why when i lunch ovi map 3.0 it keep appear a screen and ask me to choose either connect to GPRS OR WIFI..is tat i not yet install the map via map loader ? and the latest firmware now is 51.1 right ?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Not necessarily..

The N900 (and other Nokia handsets) use something called A-GPS.. this requires an internet connection.. It uses the internet to pull down GPS information that allows your phone to lock onto a satelite more rapidly.

It will try to connect each time you use the software, but it doesn't have to.. If you do use AGPS, it only downloads a very small piece of data, so it isn't anything to worry about (unless you are roaming abroad!)

If you haven't used Nokia maps loader, the N900 will also try to download the map data for the area you are in.. it will store this info and will not download it again..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

But I am unable to connect my N900 in mass storage mode not in PC suite mode with Nokia map loader.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Look at this thread

/discussions/board/message?board.id=maemo&message.id=371&query.id=2823210

I'm not sure about your last comment.. You can't connect in Mass storage mode? You can't connect in PC Suite mode?

Mass storage mode should work on anything.. it works on my linux and mac systems without any specific drivers..

See that thread for more info about loading maps

Please use plain text.
Advisor

thx for ur feedback :squint: may i know were can i download nokia map loader? coz i just get the ovi map 3.0 at nokia home page but not map loader..pls show me the direct link if u know tat ! thx for help!
Please use plain text.
Employee
adamf

Map loader can be found here: Map Loader

Scroll down to where it shows "STEP 3: Get Map Loader"

Then press download.

My posts are my opinion and in no way the direct views of Nokia.
If my posts are helpful, please give me some KUDOS using the green star on the left.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

thx for show me the link ! but the problem is after i download and install , when i lunch the program it show me an error and say tat connect phone or map version are older ! what is tat means and what can i do to solve it ? i already restart my machine and try with Ovi suite and mass stroge when connect USB but it also having the same error msg ! anyone can help me about tat ? i have search about this problem from other post too ..but i cant get it !!
Please use plain text.
Employee
adamf

What is the exact error message you get on your PC?

Can you copy it to this site, but copy it exactly as it appears on your screen.

If my posts are helpful, please give me some KUDOS using the green star on the left.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

i get this msg ( you have connected at least one phone ( N900(pc-suite Mode)) without a valid Maps drive. Either you are using a old maps version - then you must update your maps application or reconnect your phone in mass storage mode - or you have never stared the maps application once  and restart map loader. ) after that when i press the ok button ..it go to map loader program and keep appear ( waiting for phone ) !! thx for feedback :squint:
Please use plain text.
Employee
adamf

To update the Map data on the N900, you need to connect your device to your PC using Mass Storage Mode.

Close the Map Loader you currenty have open, and disconnect your N900.

Connect the N900 back to the computer in Mass Storage Mode, and then load Map Loader again.

Does this help?

Please use plain text.
Advisor

after i follow ur step , i get a different msg say tat ( you have connected at least one phone in mass storage mode. Reconnect your phone and select PC suite mode. ) and follow with a ok button . should i follow to reconnect it with PCsuite ?
Please use plain text.
Employee
adamf

I just tried to connect my N900 to the Map Loader in Mass Storage mode, and it did the same as you mention.

I then rebooted my device, and connected in Mass Storage mode again, and it worked.

Map Loader - N900

As you can see at the bottom of the screen shot, it shows the N900 connected and is ready to transfer the map content to my device.

Please use plain text.
Sage
neoakl

[ Edited ]

Mine does exactlly the same thing. And i have also restarted it. Nothing....We I connect it in PC Suite Mode it asks for Mass Storage and when I connnect it in Mass Storage it asks for PC Suite Mode. What else can we try? Using:

Win 7 64-bit

N900 (SW 2.2009.51-1.002)

Nokia PC Suite 7.1.40.1

Map Loader 3.0.28.0

Message Edited by neoakl on 19-Jan-2010 04:44 PM
Please use plain text.
Sage
neoakl

UPDATE: I have used Windows XP Mode in Windows7 and it worked fine. It must be something with Win7 & Nokia Map Loader.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

i have same problem, here when i try to download from maps loader i always get msg ( Nokia maps has not been run on the phone or it lacks memory card) i connect with pc suite 

but when i try connect with mass storage mode the maps loader keep searching for the device.

i use mac  

Message Edited by adit on 19-Jan-2010 12:21 PM
Please use plain text.
Sage

Doesnt work on my Vista PC - used another with XP - no probs

Please use plain text.
Advisor

im try on this few day with win xp , win vista, and win 7 ..only the win xp will work well ! and the win xp & 7 are randomly ! so just download map on winxp it may help ! but after i download the map and switch to satellite mode ..why some place cant display in real image ? can any one tell me ?
Please use plain text.
Professor
montana_uk

For anyone unable to run Ovi Maps on Windows Vista or Windows 7, just run the exe in Compatibility mode, and set it to run as Win XP.  Right click > Properties

Job done!  Mark it as solved... :smileyhappy:

If tnis post is a cure to your issue, please MARK IT AS SOLUTION.

If this post has helped anyone in any way, PLEASE SHARE YOUR KUDOS, by clicking on the GREEN STAR.
Please use plain text.