Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Ovi map on N900

Registered Member

I'm having the same problems with my N900 on a Mac. I have Nokia Multimedia Transfer running, I have plugged the device into the computer in PC Suite mode, I launch Nokia Map Loader and get the dialog box that I have not used Ovi Maps before or that I don't have a memory card. Keeps spinnig looking for a USB connection. No luck here.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Any one can help me I have loaded the ovi map through Win XP using Mass Mode but still it is Ovi Map1.0 running when I open the Map :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Sage
neoakl

Yes it is normal. Because what you are actually doing when you do that you download the maps for your region on your device....you are NOT upgrading the OVI Maps version.

Ovi Maps for Maemo 5 is on version 1.01. There is no other version as of yet. (To not be confused with OVI Maps 3.0 for Symbian devices)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

But i couldn't  see any difference after even loading UK map in the mass storage mod.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Can I use ovi map like tomtom satnav? If yes then any one can help me how ?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Sage
neoakl

The N900 Ovi Maps doesn't have Voice Navigation yet, or any kind of navigation capabilities for that matter.

It is only a map software with routing capability, so the only thing you can do with it is to search for an address (or POI) and to get some directions to there. You have an option to see the route on the map and zoom in on it. And if you press on the red dot on the left of the screen, the dot will follow your route as you move along on the road.

That's about it for now, it doesn't do anymore than that. Probably the next version of OVI Maps for N900 will be a proper navigation/maps software.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

First of all thanks a lot always being there for help. Second when I loaded Ovi map in N900 there was always voices and I loaded english voices if voice is there then I think it should also navigate as well because voices are same as you hear in sat nav e.g. turn right from rount about, take second exit etc etc

Please use plain text.
Sage
neoakl

[ Edited ]

Yes I thought the same thing, but it doesn't work...I've put the voices in and they don't do a thing..then I called the customer service and they actually confirmed that navigation is not supported in this version.

But don't despair because is on it's way. Read this: http://noknok.tv/2010/01/22/free-ovi-maps-3-03-on-the-nokia-n97-and-nokia-n900/

Message Edited by neoakl on 23-Jan-2010 05:05 PM
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I've tried doing just that with service pack 2 and service pack 3 versions, but get the same message "You have connected at least one phone in mass storage mode. Reconnect your phone and select PC Suite mode." followed by "Waiting for phone" message.

I've tried all the above instruction and rebooted several times as well as opening Maps on more occasion on my N900, but no change.

Please, more guidance.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I believe that problem is with Vista... I have restarted both N900 and Vista, have tried compatibility mode, and all the rest... don't work...

Let's hope that by magic it will work tomorrow...

BTW, I'm from Brazil, and tried both Map Loader in Portuguese (BR) and English... nodin'

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

This is not working for me, runing on Vista... Compability mode selected to XP, but still nogo.
Please use plain text.
Sage

iam not posting links here guys , but i had the same trouble with my n900 and vista 32 bit pc 

it wouldnt let me connect the n900 in mass storage or pc suite to map loader 

if you google 

''download nokia maps without maploader'' 

iam sure youll find something that will help you get the maps onto your device :-)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

mine stuck at waiting for phone.... any help on this??
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I will be shortly an N900 owner.

I really think that Nokia should introduce very quickly turn-by-turn navigation!

I spent 600 Eur on this machine, I expect it to have at least the same navigation capabilities as in my old N95.

I'll give Nokia 1 month time then i'll dump it for the iphone, this is a must have feature in such a flagship phone!!

I have been always a satisfied Nokia customer: pls don't make me go for the competitors.....

Please use plain text.
Sage
neoakl

Hey mandoa,

I must remind you that the iphone doesn't come with a built in "voice guided navigation" application either. I have also didn't heard anything about planning to have one in the future as well.

Nokia though is developing a FREE voice guided navigation application for this device. If is going to take a month or more this is to be seen. Either way I wouldn't  jump into getting an iphone only because you don't have a GPS navigation application. Better balance the pros and cons for both phones first.

PLease don't take my comment as a critique.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
alimkdm

hi there i have now the n900

i tried to laod maps with nokia maps loader and tried everything mentioned here

mass storage mode, reboot, restart,..

but still nothing

i really appreciate some help with that issue

thanks

Please use plain text.
Advisor
n900newuser

Hey All,

I installed Ovi Suite to sync up my N900 with the PC. I installed Map Loader to get the maps onto my phone. I then downloaded the maps according to the instructions mentioned at:

/t5/Maemo-Devices/Ovi-map-on-N900/td-p/608465/highlight/true

But still I am unable to use to maps on my N900 in offline mode, i.e., without connecting to an active internet connection. What am I missing?

Thanks,

N900NewUser

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
oneFinn

neoakl wrote:

Yes I thought the same thing, but it doesn't work...I've put the voices in and they don't do a thing..then I called the customer service and they actually confirmed that navigation is not supported in this version.

But don't despair because is on it's way. Read this: http://noknok.tv/2010/01/22/free-ovi-maps-3-03-on-the-nokia-n97-and-nokia-n900/

Message Edited by neoakl on 23-Jan-2010 05:05 PM

Well, that article was written back in January and the man who made the statement is no longer in Nokia payroll.. Mr. Vanjoki quitted Nokia after he didn't get the CEO seat. N97 got the update I  think.

Since that, one update came to Maps with PR 1.2. That fixed the most horrifying bugs in the app, but it's still a light year behind Maps 3.x.

If you look official Nokia blog, where they praise the new Maps versio, you won't find a single word about Maemo or N900. Ask Nokia, and you get a deep silence as answer.

I'm pretty skeptical that we'd see Maps 3.x on N900, hopefully I'm wrong..

Please use plain text.