Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: PR1.2 released for the N9

Sage
winny

You have

059L5D4: N9 RM-696 Country Variant Switzerland CH Black 64GB V1

Switzerland Country codes are not yet released and will come later. Same applies for Country Codes from Argentina, Australia and Portugal.

Be patient :smileywink:

/winny

Please use plain text.
Professor
theking2

I suppose that this is the last time "skyee (nokia)" will post such nonsense on these user boards. Better no announcement than a false announcement.  It appears that nokia will not produce a PR1.2 for the swiss market after all.

:smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Sage
winny

[ Edited ]

It would be announced in all boards around the world immediately after release start... And you should know in the meanwhile that updates will be released in several waves.

Also for PR1.1 Swiss country variants it took a bit longer than for others... 

There are more important things in life than waiting for a smartphone update ;-)

And btw: The PR1.2 NDT variants for Switzerland are already released... And I am confident it will come for the country variants as well ;-)

/winny

Please use plain text.
Sage
winny

@Maximilian1st,

The Austria NDT N9 (059J1V4) I've bought via Amazon at release date in October 2011. Check amazon.de and you will find it ;-)

Current status FW's as of today:

PR1.0 ==> 246 released firmwares so far

PR1.1 ==> 279 released firmwares so far (2 added since 23 March)

PR1.2 ==> 272 released firmwares until today (21 added since 23 March or 10 added since 4 April)

/winny

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Maximilian1st

@winny thanks for the heads up. The prices on amazon a way higher than the ones in CH.

Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
skyee

Hi all,

just to confirm again: N9 PR1.2 like any other update is rolled out in waves and depending on local testing & approval, especially when it comes to operator variants. So that's the reason why some variants are not available yet.

If you have questions especially for an operator branded phone, you can also check directly with your operator if they are approving that update.

Best regards,

yvonne

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Catacang

Hi skyee, can you share with us who's responsible for the local testing and approval of the Country Variants unlocked devices?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Maximilian1st

@Catacang, no she can't, she has been asked thousand times in other threads.

From what I have understood, the operators are responsible for this task and it's quite logical because they are the ones with the phones on their respective networks. I assume that Nokia sends the CV FW to all operators and waits until all of them give the green light to release it to the public.

The FW is often released in one batch, operator and CV. That's how it went last week for the Australian FW for example, although they released a single operator FW first and then the rest.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
CEVENN

Hi.

I'd like to know what means "country variant"?

Mine is 059M8W6: N9 RM-696 Country Variant Switzerland CH White 64GB V1_COLOR, but it isn't an operator branded phone, it's a sim free one...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Maximilian1st

Hi,

the Country Variant is an "unbranded" phone with a software for a specific country, my post above explains the rest, at least what I think is the cause of the wait for the CH FW.

You are out of luck if you thought you would receive the updates faster with an unbranded phone. I still don't own the N9 but I have the N900 which is also a "Linux" phone and Nokia just plainly stopped making updates for this phone. The updates are now taken over by it's community at talk.maemo.org and there is no such thing as a country variant or product code preference so I am wondering... Have a look there as they are very active on the N9 and you will find plenty of tweaks to make it a better phone.

Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
skyee

Hi all,

could you quickly clarify which are the variants that you are waiting for? I've been talking to the team in Switzerland and they confirmed that Swisscom is not available yet as we are still waiting for their approval, but countryvariants should be available for updates.

BR,

yvonne

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Catacang

Hi skyee, I'm waiting for the Portugal Country Variant (64GB black unlocked / SIM free N9). Thanks for your help!
Please use plain text.
Sage
winny

Country variants for Switzerland, Portugal, Argentina, UAE and partly Croatia are not yet available.

Be patient :smileywink:

/winny

Please use plain text.
Advisor
enki71

Ok its like a mistery! I have a N9 with NO BRANDING and i m with Orange Switzerland Operator. So why Swisscom should aprove the update ???? Who is responsible in Switzerland to aprove this update with a non-swisscom ad non-branded n9 mobile ?? 

1) If it's Swisscom, why? Im not their client

2) It its not Swisscom who is it? Orange? So we could contact them. But i dont think its Orange..

3) It's Nokia!

I convinced my wife to leave iPhone and buy an N9 but now she wants to go back to Apple or buy an Android  because she has some bugs on the N9 since the 1.1 upadate and she have to wait ages to have the 1.2 update (accounts dont remember passwords, sometimes the phone is buggy...) 

NOKIA : you should move your a..... to change this situation ! I can understand with branded phones that the operator has to check, but with unbranded mobiles this situation should not exist. We are in 2012, everybody has internet, things are going fast, and for some MB we have to spend time checking everyday if this update is here!

I'm one of your biggest fans since years but really this thing is becoming boring and we expect that Nokia could find another solution to be better than competitors and not worse... 

Please use plain text.
Sage
winny

Which product codes do you have?

For the Swiss 059M8W6 also the PR1.1 came late in comparison to other product codes...but it came....and I don't die now if I have to wait again for some more weeks to get PR1.2 since I have more important things to do and to think in my life than waiting for a stupid smartphone update...

And don't tell me that Android or Apple is better or perfect... I know enough guys who kicked out their frozen iPhones or several times restored Android.

/winny

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Catacang

[ Edited ]

Maximilian1st wrote:

You are out of luck if you thought you would receive the updates faster with an unbranded phone.

I believe this is exactly what this is all about: expectations!

When I buy a carrier-locked phone I expect it to not receive updates or receive it later, to find it full of operator software and all those personalizations. It's just part of the deal: I buy the phone heavily subsidized and in return the phone comes with software I don't want and the firmware update roadmap will not be as clear as in an unbranded phone.

When I bought my 64GB N9 and paid full price I thought I was getting an unbranded phone, that received the updates before the carrier-locked phones, that was my expectation.

Previously I had an unlocked 5800 Xpress Music and it was the Euro 1 version (or something like that). I was amongst the first to receive all the firmware updates. I could have bought it carrier-attached by half price but I didn't: those devices not even got the latest v60 update, and missed some other previous updates.

I bought the N9 unlocked and my expectation was to be the first to get the updates, but all this Country Variant stuff means I still don't have it while people in other countries, with carrier-locked N9s, already received it.

I tried to find if in Portugal there was some true unbranded phones on sale but there aren't: in Portugal, all the N9s are either carrier-locked or Country Variant, the NDT versions simply don't exist. Why? It does not make any sense...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
CEVENN

<body><p>Or course they're most important things in life than a phone update!<p>But a company like Nokia should think like customers ARE important. <p>And it's such a pity to see how they take care of us.<p>I think they must show respect to people who spent money for them...<p><br><p>And don't talk to me about others brand, l'm here because l'm a Nokia fan, and used to love their products.<p>I owned a N900, and now this white N9: they should be fantastic devices if Nokia haven't choose another road...
Please use plain text.
n94me

Hi, i'm in Australia & i update my N9 to the latest software two days ago & now nothing internet related works!! all internet connections have been checked & double checked, facebook closes before it opens, drive does not work, email cannot conect to server, I can't use the nokia store, web browsing intermittantly comes online but very slowly. I have an Optus access point, which says it's connected. I have carried out a reset, contacted my provider, contacted Nokia help line, but no one seems to be able to help me, previous to the update everything was fine, I have notice that it only seems to be using the 2G network but duel network is selected in setting.... Please help!!!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Maximilian1st

[ Edited ]

@n94me I would backup what has to be and just reflash the phone using the nokia software updater http://europe.nokia.com/support/product-support/device-software-update

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Maximilian1st

@enki71 if you have issues with your phone or you want some real help with it, go have a look at the talk.maemo.org website. There are only users and developers of the N9 and previous Nokia Linux marvels over there.

Please use plain text.