Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Please help to fix smtp sending emai bug on no...

Advisor
nikkicute2006

Please help to fix smtp sending emai bug on nokia n9Ca

Can any one help us to show step by step how to fix email sending error by locating the sent folder and rename it or any method that make it works. Thank you and cheers!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Re: Please help to fix smtp sending emai bug on nokia n9Ca

email sending isn't related to the name of folders, it shouldn't make any difference to sending, only receiving.

can you describe more about the problem. What service provider you're using for your email, if you're using pop3 or imap and what errors you're seeing?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
nikkicute2006

I use yahoo imap and and i try to send email but it always show "can not connect to nokia-free.smtp.mail.yahoo.com or it doesn' exist" all the time. Try to remove account and recreate so many time but no help
Please use plain text.
Advisor
nikkicute2006

[ Edited ]

yeahh it is very annoying...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Can you tell me your mail settings? 'you can find by opening the "accounts" app, selecting your mail account and looking under incoming and outgoing mail servers..

don't tell me your email address, your username or your password.. but tell me all the other settings

Anyone else having the same issue, do the same, let me know your settings.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

i am having the same issue after pr1.1 on imap4.

the problems were usually with the exchange, but the exchange is working great.

since i could not see farther back then 2 weeks, which is not enough, i set up exchange to synce my contacts and calendar only and then my email as IMAP4.

after that, constant smtp error.

all my outbound settings were correct.

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Hey matey!!

I had a really strange problem at the very start. I used "other email" to point at my own servers.. it filled in the SMTP server address as ".mydomain.com" and I forgot to put smtp at the start.

Every time I tried to check mail it complained about SMTP settings, even though I had not yet tried to send an email.

There's something very odd about the outbound mail server settings on the N9. it seems to be affected by more than just the settings. I'll see if I can try a yahoo account when I get my replacement :smileysad:

Did you use manual setup?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

Tried everything! Same result.
Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
quackfiend

I'm seeing what may be the same problem, but my email setup is a little odd.

I have my own domain, and I have mail for it hosted at Fastmail.fm.  I can fetch mail with IMAP4 just fine, but I can't send mail:  I get the rather unhelpful "Error occurred" message and that's all.  I know that the settings are correct, they've worked for quite some time with other clients, and I've deleted/recreated the account a bunch of times just to make sure I'm not typoing something like a password.

Contacted Fastmail support, they say they've had one other N9 user running into the same problem, up to Nokia to fix.

Now, if I set up an IMAP4/SMTP account on a friend's system I can use that just fine.  But if I try to set up the Fastmail account using an alternate SMTP server (e.g., my friend's system, which we know works) I still get that "Error occured" message.

It's very weird.  I don't have the update yet, was hoping maybe that had a fix...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nwobhm73

Could this PR 1.1 update be the cause that I cannot get my ovi mail account to work on my N9?

Ovi mail doesn't work even if I put manually those email settings.. like this:

• Your Ovi mail address

• Your Nokia account password

• Incoming mail server: imap.mail.ovi.com

• Outgoing mail server: smtp.mail.ovi.com

• The access point you use to connect to the internet

• Mailbox name: Ovi Mail

• Incoming security port SSL/TLS: 993

• Outgoing security port SSL/TLS: 465

And when I have set those settings and when I try to acces my ovi mail phone keeps asking my password...

Please use plain text.
quackfiend

I've figured out what's happening, at least with Fastmail, though I can't say why.

First, possibly-useful info for debugging these sorts of problems.  In /home/user/.config/Nokia/Messageserver.conf there are some options you can set.  I used QAD File Manager in DAV mode, mounted it on my Mac, and edited from there.  Once you change options in here I think you need to reboot the phone to have them take effect.

I enabled IMAP and SMTP logging, and enabled the file mode logger so it all goes into one easy-to-find place.

Now I can look at the SMTP sessions and see what's happening!

For some reason, although Fastmail isn't advertising BURL so far as I can see, the N9's mail client is trying to use it.  And failing, because Fastmail don't support it.

When I successfully send mail through another IMAP/SMTP account I can see that it's just using the old-fashioned DATA submission method, and that works fine.

For an extra data-point, if I configure the account to use Fastmail for IMAP and a different SMTP server I have access to, I can see that the mail app is still trying to use BURL.  So I think it's probably inferring something from the IMAP capabilities that it shouldn't.  Here's what Fastmail's IMAP server advertises once TLS and authnz are negotiated:

[CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID ENABLE ACL RIGHTS=kxten QUOTA MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY CATENATE CONDSTORE ESEARCH SORT SORT=MODSEQ SORT=DISPLAY SORT=UID THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE ANNOTATE-EXPERIMENT-1 METADATA LIST-EXTENDED LIST-STATUS WITHIN QRESYNC SCAN XLIST SPECIAL-USE CREATE-SPECIAL-USE DIGEST=SHA1 URLAUTH URLAUTH=BINARY LOGINDISABLED XCONVERSATIONS COMPRESS=DEFLATE X-QUOTA=STORAGE X-QUOTA=MESSAGE X-QUOTA=X-ANNOTATION-STORAGE IDLE]

Really not sure what's tickling the mail client to make it want to use BURL with Fastmail, but that looks to be the root of my particular problem.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
nikkicute2006

Your Ovi mail address Your Nokia account password Incoming mail server: imap.mail.ovi.com Outgoing mail server: smtp.mail.ovi.com The access point you use to connect to the internet Mailbox name: Ovi Mail Incoming security port SSL/TLS: 993 Outgoing security port SSL/TLS: 465 I have the same setting with ovi mail and here the yahoo mail setting Incoming nokia-free.imap.mail.yahoo.com port993 Out going nokia-free.smtp.mail.yahoo.com port465 Please please fix that so we al can send email from nokia n9....
Please use plain text.
quackfiend

For my version of the problem, this thread contains the detail/resolution.

Summary version:  there's a bug in the mail client, if it sees a sent folder (or "Sent Items", or anything else like it) and the IMAP server advertises the right capabilities for BURL then it tries to use that at sending-time, even if the SMTP server doesn't advertised that ability.

No fix in PR1.1, but some hope of a fix in PR1.2.

My workaround for this situation is to use Fastmail's "reflect" filter type to throw a copy of appropriate incoming mail to a second IMAP server which doesn't tickle this bug.  It's not ideal, but I now have working email on my N9 so that's good!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

The BURL function is pretty awesome (it's part of LEMONADE) The N900 mail client (modest) was unable to store sent mail items in an imap folder, they were only kept on the phone.. This is a bit rubbish..

The N9, however, can utilise imap folders.. Normally (old school) this would mean that the phone would have to upload the message twice; once to the sent folder on the imap server and once to the SMTP server to have the message sent..

With BURL, the phone can upload the message to the imap server then request that the smtp server pick it up from the imap server directly. This saves time and bandwidth which is a good thing.. However, its wrong that just because the imap server says it supports burl it should assume that the mail server does too.. It's a bit strange that the imap server would advertise it if the complimentary smtp server does not, though.. but there you go.. fingers crossed this'll be fixed soon

Please use plain text.
quackfiend

From talking with the guys at Fastmail -- who've tweaked their IMAP configuration so it doesn't trigger this bug on the N9 -- it's not so much that the IMAP server is advertising that it can do BURL as that it's advertising URLAUTH and the N9 mail client is implying that this means BURL is supported.

After figuring out that nobody is actually using URLAUTH for its intended purpose on their systems, they disabled this.  So now the N9 client works fine with their service.

My understanding is that there may be a fix in PR 1.2.

Please use plain text.
_syksy_

My N9 used to work properly but after PR1.2 email (send) stopped working as described in this thread. It just keeps asking password, and then fails to send the email. Really, really annoying.

I’ve tried re-setups, different server names, etc. but no help. Folks, any advice?

Please use plain text.