Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Problems opening N9 photos in GIMP; format iss...

MJV_fi

Problems opening N9 photos in GIMP; format issues (EXIF/JFIF)?

Hi,

I copied some photos taken with my N9 from the phone to a computer via USB without editing them in the phone first. Now I can't open any of those images with GIMP (version 2.6.11, running on Ubuntu Studio 11.10).

When I checked the file type of the images in a terminal, it says "JPEG image data, EXIF standard". I thought this might be the problem, but GIMP opens images taken with my Canon camera totally fine, and they're in EXIF as well.

So I wanted to rule out the possibility of the image size (3552x2000 pixels) being the problem, and resized one of my photos in N9 before copying it to the computer again. GIMP opened it with no problems. However, I noticed that now the image type was "JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01". Next, I tried editing ("autofix all") a photo in N9 without resizing it, then copying it. It was the original size (3552x2000) but the format was now JFIF again, and GIMP was totally happy with it.

So now I'm wondering what could be the problem. It might have nothing to do with phone whatsoever. However, as EXIF images taken with a digital camera work, I'm wondering if N9 writes the EXIF data in a somehow different way than other devices. Also, why does it save the picture using two different standards depending on whether the image was edited or not?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

Re: Problems opening N9 photos in GIMP; format issues (EXIF/JFIF)?

i just tried it on a win7 64bit terminal and i was able to open my n9 camera pictures with no problem with gimp.

may be an issue with ubuntu. i have wubi installed, but do not have the time to fool around at the moment.

if i can get to it, i will report back. it may be an ubuntu issue
Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
MJV_fi

Ok, thanks for the info.

It might very well be a problem related to Ubuntu (or Gimp in Ubuntu). Other programs (such as Comix which I use for viewing images) seem to open the files fine, so there's something special about this combination anyway. I also use the default settings in the camera software (i.e. large size etc.), so I don't think I've managed to mess up anything myself when taking the photos.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

it is my understanding that there is a new 12.1 ubuntu coming out, if it hasnt already.

:smileywink:

maybe it will work better?

i use wubi, and not that often, so unless there is an upgrade to that, ....

cheers.

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pistepilvi

The problem occurs on OS X as well, using Gimp 2.8.0. One possible way to work around it is to change the Select File Type option from Automatically Detected to JPEG image, although this may not work on all builds. (please note that the Select File Type section is not the same as using the dropdown menu that is set to All files as a default)

It seems this bug hadn't been reported on the Gimp bug tracker so I've added it there, let's hope this gets fixed sometime in the near future. :smileyhappy: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=677759

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pistepilvi

I just tested Gimp 2.6.12 on Ubuntu 12.04 and my photographs get opened without any issues. Also Gimp 2.8.0 opens the file perfectly fine; it seems the problem has been resolved already.
Please use plain text.