Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

[Rant] Nokia Link and backup

randome

[Rant] Nokia Link and backup

So I tried to hard reset my device because I'm having some issues with receiving SMS messages, so before doing that I of course made a backup with Nokia Link.

Little did I know that the backup does not include pictures and applications. So after the restore I just did I lost all my photos on my phone.
I am very upset and I guess it's my own fault since I'm used to backing up iOS devices with iTunes where you simply backup everything and I should have been more careful to check out what exactly was stored.
But I just wish it was more clearer what the backup includes.

Oh well.

Thanks for reading.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
John_Tesla

Re: [Rant] Nokia Link and backup

Hi randome,

Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions,

We are very sorry to hear about your pictures.

We can imagine how inconvenient that must have been.

Be aware that next time, when connecting your N9 to your PC, you can manually select/copy the folders containing all of your pictures and music and paste them in your favorite location in your computer.

It's that easy!

Follow this quick guide explaining the process.

The Nokia N9 is a great piece of equipment and we hope you are not discouraged by the different work around on making backups with this phone.

All the best,

John_Tesla

Please use plain text.
randome

Hi John_Tesla,

Thanks for the link.

But do you know if it's possible to back up your apps too? Or does Nokia expect me to re-download everything again?
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
John_Tesla

Hi Randome,

Sure it's possible.

Although you may not be able to restore some of the installed applications.

It depends on the applications, type, size and content.

Follow this steps to create a backup of your applications.

You can create a backup file for your phone and, if needed, later restore the application packages you want.

1. Select icon-l-settings.jpg Sync and backup > Backup .

2. Select a backup file to restore and Restore, and follow the displayed instructions.

3. After the restore, you are asked if you also want to restore application packages. If there are packages to be restored, to view the available packages, select Yes.

4. Select the application package to restore and Restore.

You can also restore application packages later. Select icon-l-settings.jpg Applications > Manage applications .

All the best,

John_Tesla

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jmac3009

Did your SMS problem go away, or is it still there? I have both outgoing & incoming SMS problems and have also discovered that Apps are not backed up (or Wifi settings!).

Telstra & Nokia Australia are investigating both at the moment.

Please use plain text.
randome

Hi,

yes the sms problem went away. I took the sim card out of the phone for couple of minutes and the problem resolved itself
Please use plain text.