Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Running out of Application Data Memory on the N9

Registered Member
pchees

Running out of Application Data Memory on the N9

Hi

I am getting error messages suggesting my Application Data Memory is running out on my N9.

I am also unable to get new entries on my twitter/facebook/rss etc feed screen. I am also alerted to new text messages but when I tap on them they dissapear.

I assume these problems are connected. I deleted 3-4 apps but that hasn't reduced my application data memorny size. I have 2.1 Gbytes available and its all used up.

What can I do to get some space back ?

Thx

Please use plain text.
imoleayo

Re: Running out of Application Data Memory on the N9

I have exactly the same problem described above and a little extra ones.

1. I get notifications for text messages but when I click on the notifications I don't see the messages.

2. I always get the message "There is not enough space to import your contacts" even though I have just 98 contacts. This device has 64GB of memory for God's sake. I purposefully disable contact importation from Facebook because of the number of fb friends I have.

3. I also cannot delete text messages or contacts. When I try to delete a text or contact(s). I get the delete confirmation. I accept, but nothing happens. The text/contact remains there.

4. I also cannot save modifications to my account settings. I have restarted my device as many times as my patience can permit, but still no luck. I tried disabling many options from the various accounts I have on this device (Google, Facebook, etc) but I cannot save my changes.

5. The screen of this device is NOT MADE OF CORNING GORILLA GLASS as claimed. I had the nokia N8 before this device and the screen of the N8 was indeed a monster. No scratches after 15 months of rigorous usage. However, after only one day of using the N9, I get TONS OF SCRATCHES on the screen just by rubbing it on shirt to remove fingerprints.

Could it be the case that we have defective products? or could all these be bugs with the OS. If its the latter, then that's disappointing. This device looks too cool to behave this badly. I've always been a Nokia fan, but I think they are losing me.

Please use plain text.
imoleayo

I forgot to add that I hav erestored factopry settings as many times as possible as well and it didnt solve any of my problems
Please use plain text.
T__T

i have the exact same problem... resets and updates dont work. I have 2,1 Gb taken up by "other applications" and uninstalled every uninstallable app, and i stopped being able to receive sms-messages or store new contacts. now i've flushed out all my emails and texts, but there is still 2,1Gb taken up by something else.
frustrating.
i need to fix NOW, not being able use contacts and sms makes the phone pretty much useless.
any ideas on how to handle this issue, other than moving back to iphone?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ObiWanKennedy

I noticed same issues here on my own N9. My message seems blank. I cannot add any audio file.

I'm starting to think is a issue about tracker. I tried to add manually new file into its database but I'm getting errors about unexpected character.

I will make more test but a fix will be nice.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
werauemr

Check this link to get an understanding for the partition structure of the Nokia N9.

Download and install MyExplorer from the Nokia Store. With this free application you can easily access these three 'main folders'.

Now, browse the 'Phone Memory' (/home/user) folder and select all Files and Folders which are obvious Multimedia contents (e.g. Music, Photos, Videos and Documents). You should move these files to the 'User Data' folder (/home/user/MyDocs).

If you don't know a file or a folder, don't move it! ! !

Good luck!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
werauemr

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kwhitefoot

I have also had problems with RSS feeds. Reboot seemed to fix it the first time but not today. Today I also got the message saying that I was low on space but Settings/Device/Data Storage shows that I have plenty of space. I looked at /tmp using the terminal and found a directory called /tmp/mfeedbackd/ that had 2.4MB of files most of which were last modified several days ago so I deleted them because /tmp on N9 is only 4MB (so I read somewhere on the web). Doesn't seem to have made any difference, perhaps I need to reboot again.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ceroberts75

et al,

sounds like you guys all have corrupted data on the device. just simpley resetting your settings to factory is not going to do it. it will have to be completely reinstalled via ovisuite, or if you are savvy enough, better and faster if you flash the device to factory.

keep in mind, that i would suggest connecting in mass storage mode and transfering any and all data to a folder on your desktop that you can transfer back to the device after.

you will lose all your text, etc. as much as this may pain some of you, even if you create a backup of a corrupted devcie, after you reformat it completely and reinstall the OS, if you recover that backup, you may have the same issues recovered in the backup.

if you want to try and do that, then create a backup and transfer thate file out of your device too.

myexplorer is $2.99 USD, just fyi.

you can also use the filebox which is free to see what is where.

hth.
Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
ukN9user

Hi - just to say that I have had exactly the same N9 Application Memory problem and in my case it was caused by email content. I found the posts here very helpful, but for anyone unsure about fixing this (as I was), here's exactly what I did :

Use Filebox and if you have never used it before, click on the settings button on the bottom right and slide the "show root filesystem" switch to ON and the "show hidden files" switch to ON, then back to the file display, which will now show lots of <dot>name subdirectories. select <dot>tmp by pressing it until the submenu appears (rather than 'clicking' it and going into it) and then select Delete. In my case the delete process took about a minute, during which the message 'Filebox not responding, close? y/n" appeared a couple of times - Just ignore it and it will complete the process. My N9 is now down from 2.1Gb of 2.1Gb Application memory used down to 467Kb, which is fine. Restarting the phone then restarted the messaging service (texts etc) and re-synching email (with attachments/images OFF now) got email working again fine within moments.

Just a thought - but can someone much cleverer than me develop a small App for this? That would be really cool. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mexicanitch

Hi, I have the same issue, running out of apps data, 2.0 out of 2.1. I had nitdroid, I removed it but still files remained which I cannot delete. I tried to delete .tmp folder as well but it says acces denied. Anyone knows how to delete files? Or what is the command in terminal? i'm root of course. What is the solution here,

thank you.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mexicanitch

Yes, here I tried the same but for me it says acces denied... What can be the solution?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ceroberts75

you need to enable dev mode.

when you do this, it will require to download files, then install and reboot automatically.

then try to use filebox. make sure you allow in the settings for root access. after you enable it, filebox will have to be restared.
Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mexicanitch

Hi, no, it does not solve the problem. It looks like that mms messages for example take much of the space and are unable to delete them at home/user/.mms/msg It says acces denied. Is there a command in terminal under root to force delete these files?

thanks so much.

Please use plain text.
jambarius

I had the same problem, guys and I've solved it!

The problem appears when you connect the MAIL application to your e-mail server. In my case I have a 127 pages with 20 e-mails in my "in box" and the MAIL app tried to download all the data to the phone. I've tried to make a new e-mail account with no e-mails inside and connect it to the MAIL app, but it didn't solve the problem.

What I did next was:

step 1. I made a backup to the phone (not using Nokia Link on the PC).

step 2. Connect the phone to my PC as a mass storage device.

step 3. Copy the entire ".backups" directory from the phone to the PC

step 4. Open the ".backups" directory ON THE PC and delete the "emails.zip" file. In my case it was 1,3 Gb file.

step 5. Right click on the "backup.metadata" file and left click on View (Lister).
Well, here I did some math. On the third row, there's a number in the middle, for example <size>XXXXXX</size>. There's a number on the 15th row, right after the row <emails>, for example <size>YYYYYY</size>. I've calculated XXXXXX - YYYYYY = ZZZZZZ and I've copied ZZZZZZ on the blank file, but you can write it on the piece of paper as well, if you like.
Than I've made the same with the number on the rows 4 (AAAAAA) and 16 (BBBBBB). I'll call the result "CCCCCC"

step 6. Close the "backup.metadata" file and open it with notepad. I did this, because I can't edit the file in View (Lister). If you can - do it. So, I've opened the "backup.metadata" file with notepad and I saw that it looks a little different than on the View (Lister). For orientation, you have to know, that every row ends with an empty box symbol. I've found the third row and I've replaced the number XXXXXX with the number ZZZZZZ. Than I've found the fourth row and I've replaced the number AAAAAA with the number CCCCCC. Than I've deleted the rows 14 to 17. To be sure I did the last thing correctly I've placed the mouse cursor between the "<" and "e" of the "<emails>" and I've pressed the delete button on the keyboard, until the cursor appeared between the "<" and "m" of the "<messaging>". Than I've closed the file with just pressing "Yes" when the windows asked me if I want to save the changes. Now, just to be sure I've done it correctly, I've opened the "backup.metadata" file with View (Lister) again. I saw the changes were there and I've closed it.

step 7. I've "Clear Device". If you don't know how, you have to enter the settings menu of the phone, go down, press "Reset" and you'll find it. It will take awhile.

step 8. After the phone restarts and I've entered the PIN code, I've connected the phone to the PC again as a mass storage device. Now I've copied the "".backups" directory from my PC to the main directory of the phone.

step9. Disconnect the phone from the PC, enter the "Sync and Backup" menu, go to "Backup" menu and I saw the backup is there. I've restore it and the problem was solved!

The only thing is, I've lost some applications and I had to install it again, but now my Data Storage menu, my Other Installations data is down from 2,0 Gb before to 213Mb now! :smileyhappy:

I hope I was helpful on this!

...and please, excuse my bad english!

Cheers!

pchees wrote:

Hi

I am getting error messages suggesting my Application Data Memory is running out on my N9.

I am also unable to get new entries on my twitter/facebook/rss etc feed screen. I am also alerted to new text messages but when I tap on them they dissapear.

I assume these problems are connected. I deleted 3-4 apps but that hasn't reduced my application data memorny size. I have 2.1 Gbytes available and its all used up.

What can I do to get some space back ?

Thx

Please use plain text.