Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Should I buy the N900? Is it problem free?

Advisor

Should I buy the N900? Is it problem free?

Hello everybody. I'm a current N97 owner, looking for a new phone.. and I'm considering the N900. Should I go for it? I just want to know if it has any problems like the N97 did..so I learned my lesson, and this time I'm waiting till I'm 100% sure it's not a beta tester like the N97. So if you're an owner of the N900 already, please let me know if you think you made the right choice... and if it has any major issues.. thanks!
Please use plain text.
Sage
TRDN900

hi bro:

N900 with me is perfect and no major issue , but i think others have some small problems can be solve by end of this year by update ......  other wise perfect choice. go or it 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

I love my N900, but I loved all my previous tablets (770, N800, N810). The N97 is really stretching the limits of Symbian / S60 and I think this is why it is suffering so many problems. Nokia don't really have a good track record at maintaining their platforms.. Just when you think S60 is nice and stable they release a handset with some terrible errors (the intermittent ring tone issue on the N97 is inexcusable)

The N900 isn't a completely polished product either, but in its defence, it is the first Maemo5 device.

Be warned, if you're used to S60 (or even S40) it'll be a surprise just how different the N900 behaves. The messaging app is conversation oriented. There's no more SMS inbox as such. There's very little in the way of desktop support. Ovi Suite 2 doesn't support the N900 and PC Suite 7 has only basic support. Nokia music and Nokia Maps don't seem to work with the device either.

There's no MMS support yet, so picture messages aren't available, nor is video calling (via 3G)

The battery is a lower capacity compared to the N97 and it lasts under a day with some heavy use..

It's not quite there, but by Nokia's own admission there's one more evolutionary step to go for Maemo (Maemo6) so this device is a really spectacular  hint of what's to come.

I've you're interested in a still evolving product unlike any other Nokia device and are happy to wait for the missing features to catch up (new firmware is due soon apparently) this device might be worth a look..

I noticed significant problems with the N97 the day it launched.. The key lock would unlock the screen but wouldn't always turn the back light on (a very obvious and basic bug) and the nokia ring tone would appear randomly (still a problem so many months later!). WIth the N900, I've not had any stability problems, I've not needed to remove the battery, or even turn it off/on!! However, there are some features missing that i might consider useful (more than 1 profile, turn off vibrate when attached to charger, menu organisation).. and that is a VERY different problem. I can cope with missing features, but stability problems are just awful.. so far, the N900 has been very good.

It's not the cheapest handset either and supply is currently limited.. 

You'll almost certainly feel like a beta tester with the N900...but of an evolving device, not a buggy one.

If in doubt, the only real recommendation I can make is go to a store and play with one.. Have a look at some online video reviews and try the features demonstrated.. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ceroberts75

well, of coarse it has some problems....it IS man-made, so what would we do if we couldnt "tinker"

now,

if it was WOMAN-MADE, it would work flawlessly, and the first time!  :smileywink:

kudos from the gals here?!  :smileyvery-happy:  --------------->

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Sage

Here are the main problems for NOKIA N900 so far found by users:

1. Microphone dead when you turned it on (quite high %)

2. DOA (dead on arrival) can hear sound but no visual (very rare)

3. Charging problem (battery not supported)

4. Dead pixel (very rare)

5. Video is very shakie not stabiliser (can be fix with updates)

Information collected from Maeom.org

2B || !2B N900 1S TH3 F0N3 4 M3
Please Kudos! me. To show your Appreciation
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
benbird7

I was thinking along the same lines of going from a n97 to a n900, after reading some of the comments listed here I think I will hold fire, my n97 is working well and lasts a day and some battery wise, it hasn't really caused me any major issues since the v20 update.

I feel that again the n900 will be a testing device for the next 3-6 months until all the creases are ironed out, fortunately for me I am going to resist going out and getting this next device until I am 100% sure that everything is operating as it should do, also the lack of PC support is an annoyance, as I do connect my phone via bluetooth to my pc to text and sync calendar, notes etc.

Still really like the n97, I know it got a lot of flack when it first came out, but with firmware updates and persistance I think it is a nice handset now, the n97 mini is just a spin off from it, fractionally smaller, but with less hdd memory etc.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Thank you everybody for your great responses :smileyhappy:

I think I'm just going to wait for a new phone to come out. Till now, theres no phone in the market that offers the complete package.. something like the N95 8Gb at the time.. I hope a company comes out with that soon! 

Please use plain text.
Sage

2 more issues with N900 so far. Seem like it is not the phone fault but NOKIA's faults.

6. Wifi not working (cannot dectect wifi network or found but cannot connect). The device crash and reboot

7. Low reception in some of devices. 3G dropped and 2G doesnt work on some.

2B || !2B N900 1S TH3 F0N3 4 M3
Please Kudos! me. To show your Appreciation
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

I must admit, the reception (for me) is far better than the N97! I was really surprised!

I've not had any wifi connectivity problems, but I've noticed wifi and bluetooth don't work well when active at the same time.. bluetooth headphones work terribly for me when the wifi is also on

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rmarco

It looks my post was removed since it was a comment against the really bad nokia care service for the N900,... so take note that in this forum you only will find the "nice for Nokia" comments,... (so, no way to trust on them),

in my case i am in the fourth 3-weeks iteration and i am afraid they are just expecting that i will through it and buy a new one,

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Actually, this forum is pretty good at leaving harsh comments.. I've trolled vehemently in the past and my posts survived!

I understand you've suffered the loose USB socket problem.. and it is well known that Nokia services are internationally a bit wet.. However, if you're STILL having such serious delays and your phone has not been fixed, you need to escalate this..

This is a an international issue and Nokia made comments about fixing it.. See this thread, started by a Nokia staff member (this is rare!)
/t5/Maemo-Devices/Nokia-responds-to-reports-about-the-N900-micro-usb-port-getting/td-p/629019/jump-t...

You might be able to get this escalated and get yourself a new handset

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rmarco

Thanks for your answer,

the microUSB problem was the first iteration with nokia care,

they replaced the mainboard (good!) and sent me back an almost new n900,

but that new one had a problem (bad!): when the keyboard is taken out the phone powers off,

i sent it to nokia care for repair but they did not fix it  :-(  (very bad!) , but they changed some pieces each time,

that is cause i said the support of nokia care for n900 is so bad :-(

it is be very easy to check if the problem is fixed, that is cause i think so about them,

besides i also have some problem with local nokia care center, i contacted central nokia care in Spain by phone but they did not help me at all,

btw, i am afraid nokia in Spain is a bit different... in example, i tried to bought the N900 in the nokia online shop, i even provide my credit card, but finally i had to cancel it since they told me they can not  provide a simple bill :-S, in spite it is against law in Spain :-(

thanks again, but i can not spend more time with nokia care, i will ask the dealer money back or provide a new one, and buy another phone, (btw i think  the n900 price went down 100euros while on repair),

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
oneFinn

If you can live with non-finished UI and you don't use Maps for navigation, N900 is versatile, stable and sturdy computer/phone.

Way better than N97m battery life can be extended to days with some third party apps (unless you hang in social netwoks all the time, that will kill the battery in half a day).

Nokia has more or less discontinued the development of N900 software, so make sure you check what you need. Nokia apps in the phone might not get any major updates anymore.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
elie7

ok... first thing is that this is not a smartphone (don't worry this is a good thing), its a mobile computer, with the same functions, as my brother once told me, all what the n900 needs is a cd drive, and there you go a computer .

no official mms support, but there is an app you can download from the extras called fmms that lets u send mms in a very easy and simple way .

no voice guided navigation, but there is at least 2 maps apps way better than the ovi maps app on this device, the first one is mappero, it uses google maps/street as maps, and you can do navigation, save places.... and voice navigation in certain areas (more will ocme in the future), and the other maps app is modarana, this one gives u full voice guided navigation, it still need some work, but more updates are coming to this app weekly, or you can just buy the sygic maps.... and nokia just said that if the codes of the ovi maps for meego were compatible with the n900, the meego ovi maps will be avaible for the n900 .

only basic computer connectivity support, backup, software updates, maps... but come on do u need to connect your laptop to your desktop :smileywink:

you do have full google and hotmail sync support, and video calls fro skype and gtalk (works great).

look i'm just 16 and i have this device, i'm not a mobile geek, or a hacker or whatever, and i can't get any happier with this device, i have 6 homescreens and oc @ 900 mhz, i just can't think of any better device, i love it, the browser is amazing, the homescreens interface is awesome, apps like calendar, conversations, and media player are superb.....

i just love my n900.

Reality is wrong....dreams are for real... 2pac .
don't forget to hit that green kudos :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ichiemie

i have 6 homescreens and oc.....
speaking of which how'd u get a 6 homescreen?.. i know for a fact that theres an app somewhere in the repos that will allow u to have 9 homescreen but for a downside, its only written in germanish.. so how'd u do urs?..

Please use plain text.
Professor
montana_uk

ichiemie wrote:
speaking of which how'd u get a 6 homescreen?.. i know for a fact that theres an app somewhere in the repos that will allow u to have 9 homescreen but for a downside, its only written in germanish.. so how'd u do urs?..

Same way as the Germans, but with guess-work and a little intuition...

Desktop+

If tnis post is a cure to your issue, please MARK IT AS SOLUTION.

If this post has helped anyone in any way, PLEASE SHARE YOUR KUDOS, by clicking on the GREEN STAR.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
elie7

ichiemie wrote:

i have 6 homescreens and oc.....

its called desktop+, very easy to use, just press the number of home screens you want thats all, or you can use transle.google.com, everything in the app can be copy/pasted .

Reality is wrong....dreams are for real... 2pac .
don't forget to hit that green kudos :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ID_NEW

Hi, if you need SIM service, usually for Mobile BANKING you will disappointed because this NOKIA NOT SUPPORT this service. I think your mobile now, is better than this series.:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ID_NEW

Please check for SIM TOOLKIT service, unbelievable this NOKIA900 not support this service...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
romanf

If you need mobile phone then N900 is worst choose, because basic phone functionality is very badly realized. N900 is heavy. Poor battery. But it phone can be interesting, if you are linux fan.
Maemo looks like beta version of something, maybe MeGo, but not sure. After N900 I do not believe, that I will buy in future Nokia phones,  I do not not believe any more in Nokia.  

Please use plain text.