Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Skype on N900

Contributor
Mahendran6
Accepted Solution

Skype on N900

I purchased a new N900 from the Nokia prioirty dealers in India.

I checked for the pre installed Skype in VoIP and IM accounts.  It is not there. There are only OVI, Gtalk, Jabber, Facebook and SIP accounts.  There is no New menu coming up anywhere on the screen to create the SKype account. 

when I tried loading Skype from the internet through Wifi of N900, It is indicating that  the download cannot be sent to this mobile number.  My service provider is Airtel.

Please post if Any one faced  similar problem and found out the soluti.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Sever

Re: Skype on N900

first, you need pr1.2 firmware.

then just go into contacts, tap a contact. tap the contact name up the top and tap edit. then tap add field, and tap skype. add their skype details, save and youre done.

Please use plain text.
Sage

what firmware version are you running? go to menu, settings znd about product and post your version here. skype is built into the handset, you shouldnt have to install it. go to menu, settings, im and voip accounts. skype should be in there. you can also try going to www.skype.com/m to get to the mobile site for a direct download, but that will probably just tell you that skype is pre-installed.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Mahendran6

The N900 device come with the latest firmware release PR1.2. I have found out that the device  will not have any Skype due to the government regulatory VOIP issues.

Even if you download, it will be downloaded to the mobile where it is getting rejected because the Subscriber nr is from Indian operators.

Is there a way to have the Skyp for N900 in exe  and  copy that in the application iarea of the PC suite and then synchronise the device. 

I am not sure whether this will work .  Any suggestions.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Mahendran6

Thanks for the input.

The N900 device come with the latest firmware release PR1.2.

I will not be able to download as  Skype is barred  due to the government regulatory VOIP issues.

Even if you download from skye/m , it will be downloaded to the mobile where it is getting rejected because the Subscriber nr is from Indian operators. 

Any other suggestions.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Sever

you can always download the usa/global firmware version from the downloads section of maemo.org and flash your device to unlock the skype capabilities.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
augastya

[ Edited ]

Sever wrote:

you can always download the usa/global firmware version from the downloads section of maemo.org and flash your device to unlock the skype capabilities.

Yep, I second that. Download a Global Version of PR 1.2 on your Phone,that should enable Skype Video calling Feature on your device.

Read this if it helps you...

http://themeegoblog.com/2010/06/06/coverage-from-the-nokia-n900-launch-event-in-india-goes-on-sale-j...

Please use plain text.
Sage

+1 for the last 2 posts. Reflash your phone with the global software version.

Chck this link out for an easy step-by-step tutorial.

http://www.maemofanatics.com/how-to-flash-your-nokia-n900/

Be sure to download the Third Maemo 5 Global release for Nokia N900.

You will need to download 2 or 3 Maemo updates after reflashing and then you will have Skype with video calls.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Sever

uhh, shouldnt have to download any maemo updates after flashing, unless you downloaded the wrong version. the one he needs is pr1.2 global release.

Please use plain text.
Sage

i downloaded the latest fw yesterday and reflashed. after that i still needed to apply an update.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Mahendran6

Flashing the Global version 1.2 through Maemo falsher worked.

Thanks for everyone who suggested this option.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Rajk

Mahendran6 wrote:

Flashing the Global version 1.2 through Maemo falsher worked.

Thanks for everyone who suggested this option.

Hey Mahendran,

After you Flashed it, you've got Skype Video call Feature right ? Have you made any Skype Video calls, does it work ok, how's the call and voice quality ? Tell me one more thing, Have you noticed any difference in the Battery preformance before you Flashed and after you flashed.

Was the battery performance better before flashing ? Has it become worst after Flashing?

Please use plain text.
Abhi1

Thanks to the messages 6, 7 and 8. Special thanks to SimonGie for adding the link. It really helped. One of main reason for me to buy N900 was Skype with Video Talk, but I was really very dis-satisfied but after following the instruction on the link posted by SimonGie, I am happy owner of N900 with Skype support.

To make it simple here are the steps:

1. Download Maemo Flasher from: http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-dev-env-downloads.php

(Download "maemo_flasher-3.5_2.5.2.2.exe" from the above link"for Vista, Win7 and XP)

2. Download the latest Maemo from: http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N900.php

(U will be asked for the N900 IMEI when you visit the above site. The IMEI can be found under Settings>About Product

After entering the IMEI you will land on the download page. Download "RX-51_2009SE_1.2009.42-11_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin". 

U can find the rest of the instructions on the below site:

One more thing to add. The command for flashing the device mentioned on the above device is outdated. The new command is: "flasher-3.5 -F RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.19-1_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R"

Note: In the above command please refer to the word "MR0" written after "Combined.

In MR0, the 3rd letter is the number "0" i.e, "ZERO" and not English alphabet "O".

Hope you find this helpful.

Incase you require any help please feel free to write to me at "abhiluvsfrenz@gmail.com"

Thanks all.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Rajk

[ Edited ]

Abhi1 wrote:

Thanks to the messages 6, 7 and 8. Special thanks to SimonGie for adding the link. It really helped. One of main reason for me to buy N900 was Skype with Video Talk, but I was really very dis-satisfied but after following the instruction on the link posted by SimonGie, I am happy owner of N900 with Skype support.

To make it simple here are the steps:

1. Download Maemo Flasher from: http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-dev-env-downloads.php

(Download "maemo_flasher-3.5_2.5.2.2.exe" from the above link"for Vista, Win7 and XP)

2. Download the latest Maemo from: http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N900.php

(U will be asked for the N900 IMEI when you visit the above site. The IMEI can be found under Settings>About Product

After entering the IMEI you will land on the download page. Download "RX-51_2009SE_1.2009.42-11_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin". 

U can find the rest of the instructions on the below site:

One more thing to add. The command for flashing the device mentioned on the above device is outdated. The new command is: "flasher-3.5 -F RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.19-1_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R"

Note: In the above command please refer to the word "MR0" written after "Combined.

In MR0, the 3rd letter is the number "0" i.e, "ZERO" and not English alphabet "O".

Hope you find this helpful.

Incase you require any help please feel free to write to me at "abhiluvsfrenz@gmail.com"

Thanks all.

Hey Abhi, So have you made any Video call after you flashed it, How's the Video call and Voice Quality. Did you feel that you battery performance has worsened after Flashing the device.

I am assuming you used a Indian IMEI number to flash it right ? I mean you bought the Phone inIndia after it was launched officially.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
prabhz89

HEY..I HAVE TRIED ALL D GLOBAL N USA FIRMWARE..BUT AFTER I FLASH IT 2 USA OR GLOBAL FIRMWARE MY NETWORK CONNECTION GETS LOST AND IT SHOES DAT D SIM IS NOT INSERTED WHILE D SIM IS INSERTED....PLZ HELP ANY1....

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

Hi Prabhz89

You have probably not flashed the very latest PR1.2 firmware. Make you you download the software labelled LATEST. You, like me, probably downloaded and flashed the one rigth at the bottom labelled 3rd Maemo 5 release, which will give you the sim card errors.

Download and flash this one:

187721717PR 1.2 version 10.2010.19-1Latest Maemo 5 Global release for Nokia N900
Please use plain text.
Contributor
prabhz89

HI SIMON

I TRIED 2 FLASH D FIRMWARE U TOLD ME BUT ITS NOT FLASHING. ALL D ODER FIRWARE R FLASHING BUT NOTD1 U TOLD ME.. ANY SPECIAL WAY 2 FLASH DIS FIRWARE??

Please use plain text.
Sage

Nope, the procedure is exactly the same. Are you getting any error messages?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
prabhz89

m not gettin any errors but wen i press enter 2 flash it doesn't show d flash procedure instead it comes back 2d code we enter 2 flash...is dere sumthing wid makers if d fone dat dat firmare can't b installed on indian n900 fones??

Please use plain text.
Sage

You should be able to flash any firmware into the phone, no matter what version. Can you post the name of the file you are flashing, and also what exactly you are typing to flash the unit?

Please use plain text.