Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Smileys on N9

Counsellor
Julf_Helsingius
Accepted Solution

Smileys on N9

Sounds like a stupid question, but in the messaging app, it seems any smileys (written using characters, such as ":smileyhappy:", get turned into a small image of an empty page. Are some small icons missing, or what?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@Julf_Helsingius

Don't know whether this app. of any interest to you:http://store.ovi.com/content/161100

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Julf_Helsingius

Thanks, but I am afraid it doesn't help - the problem is not generating the characters, but in that the N9 clearly recognizes the combination and replaces it with an icon - but doesn't have the appropriate icon to use!

But I wonder if the  Mesinput app can fix the annoying swype language switch key - far too often I touch it by accident when going for a digit or exclamation mark, and then have to toggle through all the possible languages before getting back to English...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
iDriver

<body><p>Same problem here... Smileys disappeared after "reset to factory settings". <p>I've been searching for smiley image files, but I haven't found them anywhere. After some googling I found out that they should be in folder: ~/.emoticonthemecache but at the moment that folder is empty in my N9.<p><br>
Please use plain text.
Contributor
iDriver

Ok. Now I've located smileys! /usr/share/themes/base/meegotouch/libemotiontransform0/images There are folders: default, facebook, fremantle_penquins and skype. In some reason default folder is empty! I think the missing smiley icons should be there because Facebook and Skype smileys are working ok. So, how could I restore default smileys??? Is it possible to download them somewhere?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Julf_Helsingius

Can't believe we are the only people with this problem. In hindsight, I guess I should have called this thread 'N9 smileys MISSING' or something, just so that people don't dismiss it as a discussion about add-on emoticons...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Julf_Helsingius

So the emoticon icons are not available from anywhere?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
iDriver

I've found a zip package of the whole emoticons folder. Check out:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1132044#post1132044

But the 'default' folder is also empty! So the problem must be somewhere else. Any ideas? Anyone?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jaripi

[ Edited ]

I am using smileys mainly for SMS - and no problem at all ... I use mostly smiling smiley :smileyhappy: by : + ) ... did you ever clear your device ? - is it possible that it is a reason why only few people is claiming about it ...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
iDriver

[ Edited ]

I have problems with SMS and MMS messages. My device changes every smiley to a sort of "file not found" icon. This happens with received and sent messages. I can't even add smiley with that small "smiley button". After tapping the button smiley selection opens but nothing happens when I select a smiley.

Smileys work OK with Facebook or Skype chat. SMS & MMS Smileys worked OK before resetting my device to factory defaults.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jaripi

I think that the resetting or clearing device is a reason why you have not smileys there ... I have no smiley problems at all with SMS (2 phones) ... honestly, I have a feeling that it easiest solution is to reinstall your phone OS (PR 1.1) by your computer using Nokia software Updater program ... but you have to back up all vital files before you do that to ensure that you are not losing any personal files, like photos, etc. ...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Julf_Helsingius

Ummh... And have to configure all accounts again, with the risk that some of them stop working again? Why is it so hard for Nokia to simply make the icons from that one missing directory available?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Julf_Helsingius

iDriver: yes, that is precisely what we have too. A resetting the device seems to wipe the SMS icons.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
iDriver

[ Edited ]

Thanks jaripi!!!!

Just reinstalled OS with Nokia Software Updater and smileys are back.

Despite of all the warnings that the device will be wiped clean of all the personal files and settings, all the photos, account settings (without passwords), videos, music, etc. etc. survived the restoring process. Only apps that I've installed were gone...

I also traced the problem. Folder:  /home/user/.emoticonthemecache was empty when smileys didn't work. After OS restore there are 18 png-files - just those missing emoticons. :smileywink:

Julf_Helsingius: Try to add attached icons in that folder. Maybe that's enough to fix the problem.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Julf_Helsingius

That did it - thanks! (Actually I got the same files talk..maemo.org thread).

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sandrik93

Thanks, I had the same problem, just solved :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Jair

hey I jus tried to reinstall the OS to my N9, but it doesn't appear anything in the Nokia Software Updater, how could I reinstall the OS? could you help me?

Please use plain text.
huahan

How do you add to that folder? srry a little noob at this haha :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

[ Edited ]

huahan wrote:

How do you add to that folder?

You would need to get File Manager such as Filebox http://store.ovi.com/content/204982 

You need to place say.emoticonthemecache folder in /home/user/MyDocs copy it, go to /home/user and paste it there and "Overwrite all" if prompted (Directory /home/user/MyDocs is always the starting point for introducing new material to N9)

Whilst in "Filebox" you probably need to tap "Gear wheel" icon at bottom right of screen and enable "Show root filesystem" and "Hidden files" use Longpress upon file to reveal options such as "Copy" etc.

You could of course enable "Developer mode" upon N9 and type in commands in "Terminal" if so proficient!

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
huahan

Thanks so much for the reply.

I actually figured this out late into the night using File Manager, and finally found the hidden folder and copied the emoticons into that hidden folder. Worked like a charm. Cheers!

Please use plain text.