Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Synchronizing n900 with Google Mail, Calendar,...

Advisor

Synchronizing n900 with Google Mail, Calendar, and Contacts

I was unable to find any instructions on how to sync Google Mail, Calendar, and Contacts with my n900.  So, I tried using the instructions for the Symbian v3/v5 phones.  Two of three were successful.  One of the successes does have a catch.  So others don't have to spend the time I did experimenting here are the instructions for synchronizing Google Mail, Calendar, and Contacts with the n900 firmware v1.2009.42.11.

Gmail sync settings can be created on the n900 by either:

A.  Activating the mail wizard by clicking on the "email" icon for the first time.

or

B.   Within the "Settings" menu in the "Email" submenu press on the top status bar with "E-mail" pulldown and another submenu with a "New account" button will appear.

After you input your Gmail e-mail address most of the fields will populate themselves.  In fact, almost ALL the fields will automatically populate themselves (finally effortless mail!). Just in case, check these settings:

For incoming server: port 993

For outgoing server: port 465

Calendar AND contacts sync settings can be created by:

1st  Open settings menu.

2nd  Open "Email for Exchange" submenu.

3rd  Filling in the fields as:

a. Server: m.google.com

b. Port: 443

c. Secure connection: check yes

d. Conflict resolution: your choice

e. User name:  joe.blow@gmail.com

f. Password: your password

g. Domain: leave blank

h. Synchronize e-mail:  leave unchecked.

i. Synchronize calendar and tasks: check yes.

k. Calendar:  N900 (to populate existing calendar) or create a new one

j. Synchronize calendar back:  your choice

k. Synchronize completed tasks:  your choice

l. Synchronize contacts:  check yes

m. First synchronization: your choice

A note of caution:  For this sync to work your calendar must be empty.  If you have already used the synchronization tool to transfer the calendar data from your old phone to your n900 it will not allow you to write the Google calendar data from the server into it. The n900 calendar will remain as a local, unsynchronized calendar and you must create another calendar for synchronization purposes.  However, I believe this is not the best way to go.  Instead, if you have already transferred your calendar data from your old phone open the n900's calendar, select all, and delete.  Then the Google server will synchronize its data with the N900 calendar.

:smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.

Re: Synchronizing n900 with Google Mail, Calendar, and Contacts

How do you select all of the "N900" calendar events and delete them?  I haven't been able to figure out how to select the events, let alone all of them.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

-- Don

Please use plain text.
Advisor

First, open the calendar.  Next, to open an event tap or double tap on it--this should open a view of the event details.  To edit the event, tap and hold on the top status bar where it should say "Event" with a downward pointing arrow.  A sub-menu will appear allowing you to delete, edit, etc.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]

Drew, how do I select all of the events so I can completely clean out the N900 calendar?

-- Don

Message Edited by dramsey30 on 11-Dec-2009 03:19 AM
Please use plain text.

Drew,

I may have done it by switching to "agenda" view and just deleting events (and all their repeats) until it said there were no more events.  I am now retrying the Google sync with the (now empty) N900 calendar again.  Before, I kept getting an error because I missed seeing that the calendar to which you were syncing had to be completely empty.  Thanks for your help, Drew.

-- Don

Please use plain text.

Nope, I'm still getting the "Exchange server is not responding" error.  I'll check again for any events that I missed.
Please use plain text.

It must have worked anyway because I have all my events on my N900 even with the error message it gave me.  Anyway, thanks again.

-- Don

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Open the N900 schedule. In the agenda view select one event but do not open it. Then, using keyboard press the "ctrl" + "A" keys then tap + hold the top status bar.The submenu containing "Delete" will appear. Hit delete. This should get rid all the events hiding in your "N900" schedule and allow for smooth syncing.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

After initial success with using the Mail for Exchange to sync my contacts as well as calendar I am now having problems doing regular synchronization.  I am not sure why yet and am exploring how to solve the problem.  If anyone has any ideas please let us know.
Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]

Another way to delete the entire N900 calendar contents is to go into calendar settings, select "Edit Calendars", select the N900 calendar, then select "Delete".  You will be informed that you cannot delete the N900 calendar but do you wish to delete the entire contents of the calendar instead?  Select "Yes" to remove all content from the N900 calendar.

I tried Drew's suggested method to select one event without opening it but the event always opened on me.  I was never able to get an event selected so I could then type the conrol-A to select all of the events in the calendar.  The above method seems more straightforward.

-- Don

Message Edited by dramsey30 on 11-Dec-2009 03:35 PM
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

After a couple of tries, I got the sync working.  The default advanced settings in the Mail For Exchange allows syncs to occur every 30 min during business hours and must be manually synced after hours and on the weekends.  You can change these settings but I think it might impact battery life.  The default sync settings makes it seem like it is not syncing.  To maually sync, justgo to the Mail For Exchange menu and touch the manual sync button.

For the people have problems connecting to the Exchange Server, choosing the option for First Syncronization to delete thelocal calendarworked for me.

Now if I could get Google Talk working!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
laroma

I'm not able to pass this step

3rd  Filling in the fields as:

a. Server: m.google.com

b. Port: 443

After I click next, I'm getting something like "Secure connection needed, or account is disabled". Secure port is selected and my google account is not disable. Same thing happens with nuevasync

Please use plain text.
Advisor

The account disabled message is perplexing.  It would seem to indicate that something on the server side of things is objecting to your connection.  How did your username appear in the username field? Is it correct?  Have you tried re-inputting your password?  If these things don't help in order to help you again please post a message with ALL the settings as they appear on your phone.  That way we can troubleshoot them.  Good luck.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
laroma

[ Edited ]

There you go. notice that email address and password are not real ones in this description

Here's what is happening with google

Page 1

E-mail address: first.last@gmail.com
User name: first.last@gmail.com
Password: mycorrectgooglepassword
Domain:
...next...

Page 2
Server: m.google.com
Port: 443
Secure connection: checked
...next...
ERROR. EITHER EXCHANGE SERVER REQUIRES SECURE CONNECTION OR ACCOUNT IS DISABLED

Here's what is happening with nuevasync

Page 1
E-mail address: first.last@gmail.com
User name: mynuevasyncusername
Password: mycorrectnuevasyncassword
Domain:
...next...

Page 2
Server: www.nuevasync.com
Port: 443
Secure connection: checked
...next...
ERROR. EITHER EXCHANGE SERVER REQUIRES SECURE CONNECTION OR ACCOUNT IS DISABLED

My guess is that the result will be always the same :smileysad:

Message Edited by laroma on 20-Dec-2009 08:58 PM
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I'm not sure what "nuevasync" is.  Maybe this is the Latin-language title for the Intellisync functionality.  If so, your settings look correct.  I'm not sure what is causing your problem.

Have you checked your phones firmware version?  1.2009.42.11 is the latest.  I am just brainstorming...  if it is an earlier version try updating your firmware and then try setting up the mail again.

The only other approach I can think of is a total reset by removing the software from the N900 and then reinstalling it.  Sinc I am new to the N900 I am not sure how to do this yet.  But, there are probably instructions on here or on maemo.org.

I wish I could be of more help.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
laroma

My FW version is 1.2009.42-11

Nuevasync is a service which offers syncing, for example between mobile and google, and it also have support for N900. Check out www.nuevasyn.com

Maybe I need to wait for MfE update or flash the whole thing. Everything else works but MfE can't connect anything :smileysad:

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]

Hi, I'm from NuevaSync -- yes we do exist :smileywink:

I've been trying to debug or reproduce this "Secure connection needed, or account is disabled" syndrome without success. On the server we see absolutely no communication from the device, so this isn't some simple "the server returned an error" issue. Also, we have hundreds of N900 devices syncing with our service but only 3-4 users reporting this problem. I've confirmed with those users that they are entering the config correctly. So at this point we're trying to get some network packet traces, or device-side log output from afflicted users. Send us an email to info@nuevasync.com if you have this problem and would like to work with is to resolve it.

Message Edited by dboreham on 24-Dec-2009 06:38 PM
Please use plain text.

Update on this issue: we were able to get a packet capture from an afflicted device (the "Secure connection needed, or account is disabled" error). This shows that the problem lies somewhere in the device's SSL certificate checking during the handshake. It's sending an SSL error "Unknown CA". This I suppose would be vaguely consistent with the error presented to the user since it probably bubbles up as connect failed due to SSL trouble.

I've been scratching my head to think of reasons why only a very small number of devices would mess up the cert checking. Obvious causes such as : dev firmware on the device that's missing the CA cert; device clock is way off, have been eliminated. Also, the very same device can open a page on the same server, with the same SSL cert, just fine. The fact that aparently the same error occurs with Google's service points at the device as the source of the problem. If anyone has any ideas on how to further diagnose this, please speak up.

Please use plain text.

I was having problems re-syncing with google.  I did some testing and it seems that once I add an image to a contact it will no longer let me sync with google.  does anyone know where I should report this bug to either nokia or maemo.
Please use plain text.