Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: This may seem silly.. Asking N9 users

Contributor
Ishami

This may seem silly.. Asking N9 users

As a long time iOS, Android, and Windows Phone user (Had a windows phone since the first gen devices came out) I've decided my next device to be the N9. As I live in the United States, the only option is Amazon to buy the N9. It's a pricy $404, which with that I could easily buy a Nexus 4 or Galaxy Nexus, or just buy a Lumia 810/ HTC 8X as I'm on T-Mobile. But as my option stands, I want to know  if the N9 still stands as a device worth using on a day to day basis. Mainly phone calls, texting and music. I use Spotify, and I see there is a spotify app for Meego, but I'm unsure how it performs as I have not found any reviews on it, and there is also a third party app that works with spotify as I noticed.

Is the Nokia N9 still worth it, even though Nokia has completely abandoned the N9?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

I usually have 4 phones on the go at any time. my current lineup are N9, lumia 920, Galaxy Nexus and finally Galaxy S 2. As you can see the N9 is still top of my pile. Definitely the best users phone especially if you are into linux. Only snag is the lack of apps. Am hoping that someone will port Sailfish to the N9. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@Ishami

Think it depends whether you have a working knowledge of Linux to get the best out of N9. Unfortunately with development stopping so abruptly probably not going to get similar CSSU support as is available for N900 Maemo, which seems to have a "cult" following.

If you needed to use much for Bluetooth car connectivity you would find it annoying as not sufficient profiles.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Ishami

Hearing the words linux makes my world light up. I have knowledge with linux, used to be an avid ubuntu user. I'm getting the N9 for sure now.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
wateratz

Ignoring the fact that Nokia abandoned it, it's a beautiful phone, and the OS is really crisp and smooth. If all you need is a good Smartphone, and just a few Mainstream Apps, then you will love the N9. I bought one for my wife, and she has used the iPhone 4S, and she just loves her N9.

I still believe that Nokia should have marketed it in more countries, and it would have stopped the rot before they were able to get Lumia products with Windows 8 to market. It would then have been something for the the "next billion", instead Jolla with Sailfish will probably succeed where the N9 and a smaller scaled subset of Meego could have.

If you have an N9, you won't regret it.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Ishami

[ Edited ]

I actually really enjoy hearing this, because Linux is one of my favorite things to mess with, and smartphones are in  my the top best things about technology these days. So I'm pretty hyped, I found one on amazon a 16GB Cyan N9 for 450. kinda expensive still, but it seems it'll be worth it. Much more worth it than buying another android device or windows phone! Because honestly, I had my mind set on a Windows Phone 8 device, after using WP7 since first gen devices released, and Windows Phone 8 doesn't impress me that much. A lot of the apps are poorly made and just kinda dull all together. But don't get me wrong I adore windows phone. I just think Meego would be something to lighten my view on everything, I enjoy trying different phone operating systems. I enjoyed WebOS, but I'd only REALLY enjoy it if I had the Pre 3. I'm actually scared of spending a penny on a Symbian device, as i've heard they dont perform very well. Before the decision of WP8 or the N9, I was going to buy the Pureview 808, for the camera and to try symbian for the first time. but the N9 is what I'm gonna get. I'm excited, thanks for the positive comments. I was worried I was gonna be told to not even bother.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

You might want to have a look at Jolla and Sailfish while you are at it. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
slashd0t

The N9 is probably the best phone that Nokia has ever made even still.. 

Lumia 920/N9

Previous Life: N8, N95, 8600, 8800 Sapphire Arte, N97, N97-Mini, 5800 and a few older ones :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
N9ArabiaSOS

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
MadMadScientist

I have been using an N9 for a year now. I do not have any Linux experience, so basically I am only using it "as it came". And I love it.

However, getting a little disappointed for the lack of so many "sooo important apps" I read about more or less everyday. So I recently bought a Samsumg tablet, now running on android ICS (I had to update in on my own - well with the help of the net - since there was no update from Samsung. Seems I have a weird attraction to dying devices.. but thats another story).

What I want to explain: android is nice, I got a big choice for all the apps I need (and loose a lot of time for choosing "the" right one, but I constantly miss the swype to put a an app behind while opening another, a swype to close an app or swype in any direction to search for whatever I need on the phone.

I did not realize it until I had a modern version of another OS in my hands: the way of using the N9 is so natural, so swift - it really is the best User experience on the market. Just great.

And if there are any problems - the guys from here or meemo.org are going to help you out.

Just - dont get too dependent on apps - here it sucks in comparison.

One more thing - before you buy on amazon, you should check ebay. They sell there (new and sealed by professional sellers with all guarantee) 16 gb versions for 290 Euro (ebay Germany, I guess you should be able to get cheaper deals in the States, however its the black version) while Amazon is still around 500 and more.

Have fun with it!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
FT2394

I have been using an N9 since day 1 (only stopped 2 weeks ago after getting the Lumia 820) and it is the best device. Tinkering is not needed, but it helps you get the absolute best out of your experience.

It has key features such as the Swipe UX, Double Tap to wake, and Sleeping Screen that will become a habit for you in no time at all
Hit the white star :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Sage
winny

My few cents: I am using the black N9 since day 1 as well (+ a white N9 few months later) and after more than one year I am still not interested to switch to another OS. Whenever I have a possibilty to play a bit with the boring Android or iOS I come to the conclusion that the UI of the N9 is the best I ever have touched. And still other smartphone users are impressed about this fantastic user experiene when I present it. Of course I will test the Jolla Sailfish OS later on one of the devices since I believe that it will be even better and it might happen that Jolla will replace the N9s'. Regarding apps In the meanwhile I have installed much more than 100 apps and little helpers which make my life easier every day and the only app I was missing for some time was Shazam (which I have replaced in the meanwhile by Firefox Midomi). Of course it might be that some apps or features are not available for the N9 but to be honest I don't miss anything and it is even better to have an overview about available apps in the store or other sources like TMO etc. And finally some words to the design: Just hold a N9, a South Korean plastic bomber and a iPhone (which I never considered as well designed) in your hands at the same time... and you will see the difference :smileywink: /winny
Please use plain text.