Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Top 12 Maemo N900 Issues & Fixes

Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

Re: Top 10 Meamo N900 Issues & Fixes

:smileyvery-happy:

lol...all of us do it!

kudos for not having to be told, and figuring it out on your own!

:smileywink:
Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Advisor
1337INT13H

Hi. I'm a new N900 user. My first post is here. Please can someone uber help me get sorted out my issues. My post URL is: /t5/Maemo-Devices/NEW-N900-arrived-today-Unsure-about-some-things-done/m-p/970063/highlight/false

You can guesse I used Nokia OVI Suite= 3.0.0.290 & after install of latest firmware their was a timout error with an exclamation mark. Now I just want to get everything sorted out. Should I list a list of current installs in uninstall application manager?

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't"

Please use plain text.
Advisor
1337INT13H

[ Edited ]

First power on this morning after 10 hour charge over night. The blue men key on dektop didn't work. Funny colour pixel issue. Because there was no response I kep clicking it a few times & then it tried opening email but said no email acount. I have no email setup anyway. Okay. Turned phone back on again & desktop Main menu shortcut is working fine.

The big problems I have is worrying about what the OVI Suite told me which I can't remember that the firmware update was done but I had to restore restore something else. Which turned out to be there already. The main issue is I don't know what state or condition my phone is in.

All I know is thatI can't setup a data packet connection but i could edit hte one installed from sim card which was incorrect. I had to change it to wap service settings copied from 5800 phone. I can't do MMS. I can't assign contact ringtones. The application manager. Clicking download button is giving errors. The application list partially refreshed. Some catalogues unavailable. Check catalogue details. Nokia Applications, Nokia System Software Update, Ovi.  

Also these catalogue issues haven't sorted themselves out. Not sure what to do now but to give you details of what's installed on this phone in the uninstaller.

(I am aware I have posted this message in my first thread )

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't"

Please use plain text.
Advisor
1337INT13H

[ Edited ]

I've solved the aplication manager problem. I figured out how to disable the catalogues. Shut down phone. Re boot. Then enable them & try updating again. Also I don't know if this made any difference. But my connections was set to always ask rather than use any connection.

Now the Foreca Weather widget is successfully installed. YEE.

There is one other update which is asking dfor installation. OVI installer (1) Documents to go Installer 1.0-4.2+0m5 11kb. Is this ok to install? Alok Mishra is the maintainer. I didn't install it. Biut now I've clicked on the doc to go shortcut in main menu its now asking to install a different documents to go viewer edition. Ver 1.0.153. Is this what meamo does randomly give you diff choices dif apps.

I've cancelled that one too because I don't know which one is the best doc to go to install & use?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Advisor
1337INT13H

I think I've found some of the data that didn't get sent over in this earlier restore process which gets sent over after the firmware update when for some reason their was a usb data transfer timout & disconnection with OVI Suite! It's a good job this didn't happen during the firmware process. But I think I have found at least some of the stuff that didn't go over.

Their are two entries in the Media Player video area. There were two video clips. Nokia N900 & 9. There are now 4 entries. Two corrupt versions of 9 & Nokia N900 video. I guesse these were part of the restore restore situation.

Like some other people say on here OVI corrupts contacts or calendar entries. Well I've now to check whether my calendar entries, and all my notes went over. ALl of the dtuff should be there reall if OVI failed to send it over. Because with the old firmware I used my 6800 switcher app to send everything over.

Please use plain text.
Professor
reinob

one thing you could do is simply wipe out your calendar and contacts, and then transfer the stuff from your 5800 again.

probably not really necessary, but: I would stay away from OVI/Nokia Suite. I can't think of a reason why anyone would need it (you can back-up/sync contacts and calendar on-line).

Please use plain text.
Advisor
1337INT13H

Top notching. I find very many help hints or tips & useful comments here on the discussions today. Top notching!:smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
knuthf

Now, what of us that has scratched Windows?
We run Mac and Linux and have applications that work. But no link to the N900 beside an incomplete, alpha version of iSync.
Nokia: Please make an LDIF import/export - Linux (Ubuntu) has a 90% skeleton.
Beware: In most cases, the email addresses come from the Mac/Linux and the telephone numbers from the N900 - merge them and Skype using the phone numbers and email addresses.

regardless of what Elop may say, Steve Balmer can call me - and I will tell him that Windows is at the end of the road. Soon it will come with GPS support so it can navigate in the memory so it does not get lost that frequently.
Don't change anything that works.
Please use plain text.
pavlos_kanavas

there is a code in "x term"

When you type it open the divice volume control....

Third select from left giv's 100% transmision power

Do you know the code?

Please use plain text.
pavlos_kanavas

how to pouer up the transmition?
Please use plain text.
Professor
reinob

What are you talking about?

You want to change the volume or the transmission power?, which "transmission" anyway?!

Please explain what you need..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
seabase1

This message was greatly helpful. I have clicked the green star for appreciation.:smileyhappy:
Thanks a lot for the suggestion.Keep doing good work.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Da_502

Yo mate I'v previously installed NITDroid using the manual installation...but I'v tried this one and after gaining root access, downloading the package, and installing it....when I type

nitdroid

(it asks if I wish to take the risks)

I type

YES

It formats mmcblk1p1 (vfat)

and then it says Formatting dev/mmcblk1p2 (ext3)...

NOTHING happens, I left it overnight and when I got up it was the same issue

Help please ??

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
TheSand

I am trying the Modest fix but not getting anywhere.  I have the downloaded file saved to my N900, it's under Documents. 

After I type in cd MyDocs it reads, "/home/user/MyDocs #"  When I type in the next command I keep getting, "No such file or directory."  Any suggestions????

Thanks,

Sandy

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

if you actually put it in the documents folder, then try this first, then run the fix

sudo gainroot
cd MyDocs/.documents
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
matthew_maude

haha classic mistake :-D

©2012 DJ Matt

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
TheSand

Thanks ceroberts75, that was it.  I was trying similar things but didn't use the "." before I typed documents.  I also tried moving the file out, but didn't have much luck there either.  In any event, thanks for taking the time... I gave you a Kudos!:smileyhappy:

Sandy

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
knightm

unfortunately i keep getting an error when i use the code. says file or directory doesnt exist. i get internal error mail application closed everytime i try to get my email. i use gmail from macuco but email client is easier to access.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

what code are you rying to use?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
knuthf

Its also n operator / software issue. The operators buys a standard handset configuration system, where the N900 is defined as not supporting MMS. There is no option for "Can support later" so fMMS should notify your operator that your N900 supports MMS, and they have to record this in their systems. So they ay fix it when you complain and send your pictures. And be prepared that it suddenly does not work any more.
Don't change anything that works.
Please use plain text.