Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Top 12 Maemo N900 Issues & Fixes

Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

Re: Top 10 Meamo N900 Issues & Fixes

my experience thus far with  the new pr1.3:

-i am able to use titans kernel same as before and switch the multiple freqs with cpufreq and/or qcpufreq

-i am able to hard flash the OC kernel with the 900mhz and it keeps the settings and runs stable with no issues

-i am able to do the fm mod, however, it is not giving me the ability to go below the standard 88, but does give me the ability to choose the 1234567890, instead of the standard 13579.  boost works fine.

-i have not tried the modest fix as of yet as i am testing to see how the new changes to the email platform are working.  however, can say that it seems that they may have actually incorporated the "modest fix" into thte firmware now, as it is very snappy and even when you tap the "To/CC/Bcc" the contacts are almost instantaneous whereas before it was taking 12-16 seconds to populate my 1100 contacts to choose from.

-skype works great

-havent tried nitdroid yet, please awknoledge if you do.

-havent tried ovi suite yet either, however, i recieved an email that said to download "Nokia Software Updater" and do the update that way and then "learn how to use PC Suite"  *so i dont need to hear about any issues with NOT using OVI Suite when this is the email that was sent out!  :smileywink:

Additional functionality!
Improved performance!

Hi, CEROBERTS75,

Update your Nokia N900 to enjoy:

Great new features
 Updated applications
 Performance improvements

New software leads to fresh experiences, so update your software now to keep your phone up to date.

All Nokia software updates are available for free with Nokia Software Updater. You can perform the update anywhere with a high-speed Internet connection. See how Nokia Software Updater works.

System requirements

PC with administration rights and
  Windows XP or later
  Compatible USB cable
  High-speed Internet connection

P.S. Remember to back up and restore your existing contacts, games, and third-party applications with Nokia PC Suite. Learn how to use Nokia PC Suite.

My Nokia: Nokia N900
Not your device? Update your profile

To prevent My Nokia e-mails from being filtered to your spam folder, add Nokia's From address to your e-mail address book. If you no longer want to receive additional tips and tricks from My Nokia, follow this link to sign in and unsubscribe. Please do not reply to this e-mail.

Copyright © 2009 Nokia. All rights reserved. Nokia and Nokia Connecting People are registered trademarks of the Nokia Corporation. Other product and company names mentioned herein may be trademarks or registered names of their respective owners.

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Qas91

Hello Im having issues with the flasher program on my computer. It installed perfectly but when I open it up it closes instantly. I have googled it and tried run as administrator but it still closes down. My computer is running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 Service Pack 3

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
matthew_maude

i presume you've figured it out now :-)
you run it through cmd line

©2012 DJ Matt

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Qas91

ye lol i found the command line in all programs, finally got pr 1.3 global installed

Please use plain text.
cribble2

Excellent description on setting up QCPUFreq.:smileytongue:
On setting my max cpu speed to 1150 I checked /etc/pmconfig.
The scaling_max_freq value was still set to 600000. Is it this value I need to edit to have the device remain overclocked ?

Please use plain text.
cribble2

Tap QCPUFreq title at top of screen. This gives a dropdown with "enable overclocking". Tap this. Return to main page. slider now goes to 1150 max.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kamrul

Hi All:

I am seeing below on my XTerminal Screen. It seems frozen on Formatting /dev/mmcblklp2 (ext3)  ...

Formatting /dev/mmcblklp1 (vfat)  ...done

Formatting /dev/mmcblklp2 (ext3)  ...

Any help would be highly appreciated

ceroberts75 wrote:

7.  NITDroid

To install:

open xterm (be sure you have roostsh installed and your extras-devel repo is enabled)

sudo gainroot

apt-get install nitdroid-installer

nitdroid (this will take a while, at least 20 minutes on wifi)

After install, to be sure that the correct packages are installed:

apt-get install kernel-power kernel-power-settings

dpkg -i /home/user/MyDocs/.nitdroid/multiboot-kernel-power_0.3_armel.deb (if you get a message to install a previous version from 0.3-1 to 0.3, type "n")

apt-get install kernel-power-bootimg

apt-get install multiboot-kernel-power

apt-get install nano-opt (this will be needed if you are going to over-clock the kernel, and will save a few steps later)

apt-get upgrade (just to be sure you have all the most current packages for the above.  type "y" if need be)

Then reboot with slider up.

You should now see this:

1 - Meamo 2.6.28-omap1 (choose this if you want your standard Kernel)

2 - Maemo kernel-power40 (choose this if you want your Over-clocking Titan's Kernel)

3 - NITDroid 2.6.28.NIT.06 on mmcblk1p2 (choose this if you want to use NITDroid)

To Over-clock the NITDroid Kernel:

(must be done from the Maemo side with xterminal)

open xterm

root

mount /dev/mmcblk1p2 /and  (you may need to create the /and directory.  use:  mkdir /and)

nano /and/system/etc/power.conf (you may need to install nano first.  use this code:  apt-get install nano-opt )

Then scroll down to the:

scaling_max_freq    (900000) for 900mhz

scaling_min_freq    (500000) for 500mhz

When done making your changes:

ctrl+O ("oh")

enter

Then the xterm will be back at the curser.

umount /and (you may get an error saying "sh..unmount not...", just type reboot and it will do the same thing.)

NOTE: For the suggested clocking speeds and skip speeds settings go to - http://forum.nitdroid.com/index.php?topic=116.0

DONE!  You are now over-clocked in NITDroid!

To uninstall:

If the NITDroid is installed on a partition of your memory card, then just reformat the card.

Then to get rid of the Multiboot

open xterm

sudo gainroot

apt-get remove multiboot multiboot-extras nano-opt

or

dpkg -r multiboot multiboot-extras nano-opt

Nokia N8
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

the nitdroid installer is not working correctly at the moment.  i wouldnt use it until they  update it.

Please use plain text.
Sage
blwetorch

@ ceroberts75

Hi...do you think there is any need to update the posts in this thread, keeping in mind the PR 1.3 upgrade?

Thanks and regards.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

i already have sent a coyuple to the moderators but they have not made the changes yet.

thanks.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
corneliusg

Thank you very much. At last it works :smileyhappy: Thank you!!
Note: Since I am new to this kind of operations and tried hard to follow your steps number by number I missed to download the vanilla.bin (Download nr. 3) and first understood that it was an alternative to the global variant of the firmware for those, who know better.
Thank you
Cornelius Gelpke
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
knuthf

Ovi synchronizes with Thunderbird,  so some of us have to use it.

The problem is that it "writes" the changes it makes to Thunderbird's contacts. Like using a space to group numbers. Then later, the tiny changes made, makes it create duplicates in your Contacts.If you then start off with 2000 contacts, you risk ending with 4000 where the only difference is the lack of grouped digits in the phone number.

So, simply make a new list of all your contacts and groups in Thunderbird, and make it sync with this. The same is most likely also the case with MS Outlook.

Synchronizing is not easy, and Nokia makes a good effort of providing a good user interface on their phones - N900 included. it is silly that they no longer support the S80 interface - where digit grouping was supported. I am also waiting for someone to make a "people manager" interface, allowing one place to register the company details that is shared by everyone that works there. Then additional fields that describes what they work with, beyond simple "groups".

Ovi has a problem- "bug" or "functional deficiency" that is known and can be avoided. The PC Suite creates its own list of "Contacts" - imports from both repositories and merge and writeback is optional. So this works excellent, and supports also digit grouping.

NOTE that Thunderbird's utility for duplicate contact detection and removal works just for one repository, and is very slow with more than 1000 contacts.

Don't change anything that works.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
nandtalk

Hi,

First  let me thank you for the outstanding contribution with you posts.  

I have been wondering which phone to buy and now have made up my mind to go with N900.  I was very particular to have the skype video functionality/Maps on my phone.

Infact, even Nokia Sales Team weren`t aware of that this functionality exists in their phone.

Thanks again.,

Good day,:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
eefo

ammmmmmm hey i did as you  said , those extras were added in catalogues and when i wrote that xterminal starting line it said enable Rd mode first ..?

now what ?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

[ Edited ]

@nandtalk

you bet! glad it helped.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

@eefo

not sure what you mean.

what are you trying to do?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
matthew_maude

hmmm... didn't
"enable Rd mode first"
vanish with the first firmware update

maybe that's the problem

©2012 DJ Matt

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
daf_57

hi.

i have installed nitdroid

installed the other relevant packages execept the cmd... dpkg -1/home/user..... line in ur txt, (returns error see attch.)

Reboot with slider up, have the multiboot screen and access to the 3 kernels.

When i boot into nitdroid i cannot get pass the gmail login screen, it always returns no network connection or not setup for data, trying with wifi also results in no connection. The obvious Q.is, how can i setup a connection if i cannot truly access the system, assistance required. Thanks youin advance.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

depends on the nitdroid. these instructions were for the previous version of nitdroid.

also, i understand your issue. i stopped using nitdroid becuase of the inconsistancy. i have 3 n900 and all behave differently.

1 for some reson will not manage to read the battery management, so unless it is plugged in, cant even get past the login then shutting down.

another works ok

another has login/network issues.

best thing to do now is to google nitdroid, maemo and go the the nitdroid forum to check if there is a way to get it going.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
daf_57

NITwit, did not scroll down enough to get to the nxt screen, "one panic's when ur a noob and things don't do/go as expected.

Thanks for the initial post, have carried out most and all working well.

Cheers!!!
Please use plain text.