Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Tried 32GB MMC on N900?

Sage
virajx3006

Tried 32GB MMC on N900?

Hey,

Did anyone tried 32GB MMC on N900?

If so,

Is the device responding normaly?

If the internal memory + MMC are memory full, how the device responds? getting stuck?

Click the star if this helps you (",)

If this is your answer, please do not forget to click "Accept as solution" (",)
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
matthew_maude

Re: Tried 32GB MMC on N900?

if you're having trouble, it won't be down to full memory,
have you downloaded anything from the devel or testing catalog?
and have you overclocked?

©2012 DJ Matt

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

32GB MicroSD? Is that what you mean?

I've had one since launch.. and it has recently failed.. in my N900..

It works in every other device in the house.. including numerous Nokia products (5800, N97, My PC with card reader, my PC with USB dongle thing)

in my N900, I can read successfully, and I can write using block writing (dd raw access) but the moment the filesystem mounts, it hits corruption and errors..

I was overclocked.. but I'm running stock now and the problems persist..

I have no problem with any other smaller microsd card (2,8,16.. all sandisk too)

irritated!!
You must remember the device has 3 internal memory locations:

root (256meg) if you fill this BAD potentially non-recoverable things happen.. this is hard to do since no user data (contacts, images, videos) are stored here.. only OS info

/home (2gig) this is where your contacts, SMS messages, configuration and installed apps live.. if you fill this, things stop working and you run the risk of corrupting databases (contacts / messages / email) It is easier to fill this, but you'll start to get some warning

/home/user/MyDocs (28gig) this is the bulk of the internal storage.. this is where all your content sits.. all you photos, video clips, music files.. it is the area you see when you connect your phone to a PC..

If you fill this, things might error, but it won't stop the device working.. plus you can always plug into a PC and delete some stuff that way..

Filling the microSD card is much the same as filling the eMMC above.. it won't cause problems..

Seriously, you plan to put 64gig on your phone?! crazy! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
virajx3006

methew - no im not having any probs. i waz hoping to buy a 32GB MMC. but some nokia web sites says that N900 will only support upto 16GB.( ireland site). but europe site says it supports 32GB MMC.

cpitchford - hey tnx 4 d info. im dont know very well about the N900's memory function and how the OS works. im a windows user and open source isn't fit to me very well..

any way ya hoping to buy a 32GB micro SD.:smileyhappy:

tnx again 4 d info.tc =)

Click the star if this helps you (",)

If this is your answer, please do not forget to click "Accept as solution" (",)
Please use plain text.
Professor
Sever

@cpitchford - i have a 16gig microsd and ive been having the same corruption errors. that command thing where you 'umount mmc0blk1' and then run 'fsck mmc0blk1' or something like that worked for me, cant remember the exact order of commands but i found it somewhere here in one of these threads.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

fsck won't help, it is failing to write.. it usually ends up ruining the mmc controller and I have to reboot to get it back.. not sure if it is a design flaw, faulty card or just my phone.. will report back with more info

Please use plain text.