Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Video Call on Nokia N9

Counsellor
Xose

Re: Video Call on Nokia N9

[ Edited ]

I must admit, the situation concerning the front camera is very annoying and I do not understand how Nokia could make such a gaffe. In my case, as an example, NFC could be beamed away at current state (indeed, perhaps this will change in the future): I do not see the NFC chip, there are no applications in my neighorhood that I can use, so I do not have any direct benefit till now.

But Nokia: Using my phone I do see the front camera every day remembering me that's not functioning, my cell network provider supports video calling, I could use this function via WiFi, on most of other mobile devices video call is available - by the way devices settled the lowest from a technological point of view, such that I can get for free - but this € 680 Nokia device can't and even though it tells me every day: Huh, I could indeed provide you this feature (I have a camera), but I will not! Bla! For sure, the cost of this camera certainly does'nt drive me into bankruptcy, but I paid for this piece of hardware and therefore I want be able to use it. Or is the front camara just a dummy?

Nokia, that's just an embarrassing story! C'on Nokia, pay attention to your reputation and customer trust, please.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
GodXen

no all file type downloads from web browser, no flash, no fm radio, no animated picture preview, no folders in menu...

Nokia Please Help N9 live!
Please Fix:
Browser Downloads
Video Call
Voice Deal
Fm Radio
Please use plain text.
Professor
mccoy1

it's everywhere on the webs. People sees the front cam and they assumes it supports video calling. What a shame!
Please use plain text.
Professor
mccoy1

I thought you guys have learned a hard way from n97. I bought n95 on the day of the launch and it was ok(not great but acceptable). I also bought n97 on the day when it was launched and it was a disaster. When n8 was launched, I didn't jump in. Same as when n9 was launched. Sadly, it doesn't support flash too (the reason i hate iphone).
Please use plain text.
Professor
reinob

[ Edited ]

I find it unbelievable that people spend 500-1000 $ or EUR in a phone without reading the specifications!

At least I'm not that rich...

... nor that dumb.

Moderators notes: Profanity removed.

Please use plain text.
Sage
wdexplorer

@reinob

I read all specs on nokia site, gsmarena.com (I mean I am not supposed to read all the web to buy a phone) before phone was released it didn't say that front camera is for decoration purpose only. it didn't say that there's no copy&paste. it didn't say that meego will not be supported by nokia.

The only mistake I made I relied too much on Nokia and rashed to buy the phone as soon as it was released.  Millions of iphone users do the same, but only few regreat. With N9 it appears to be different story. Lesson learnt well.

P.S. I

Please use plain text.
Professor
reinob

The topic here is 3G video call. Nowhere in the N9 specs does it say that 3G video call is supported. That's why I find it quite incredible that people come here to complain about that, after having spent so much money on a phone.

The front camera is there. That doesn't mean that the phone *has* to come with a suitable app for that. That's the point of a smartphone = programmable phone. Plus at some point you (maybe) will have gtalk video calling and skype video calling via peregrine communicator.. plus you have the mirror app :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ChopzN95

i bought the flagship phone also believing this would be supported..... woo hoo i am another sucker ...... not only that cant get the latest release OS because my carrier wont even respond when asked when they will release the branded update ....

flagship, sounding more and more like sunken ship to me....... wont be chasing any nokia phones once they cut over to windows either ...... massive dissappointment ........
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gunsnroses_dxb

Well, there is a nice application available to use your front camera as MIRROR... so download it. It's how it meant to be used!! :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Sage
banlec

This (smart)phone is too modern to have a video call function in it ...

Please use plain text.
Sage
wdexplorer

<body><p>@reinob,<p><br><p>with all due respect i disagree. if you see front camera you  don't have to read complete specs to expect that ther's video call.  how many people you  know using front camera as mirror (a very bad quality mirror i must say). <p><br><p>it is the same thing when you buy a car -- you are not supposed to read in specs that there's a rear view mirror, which should be adjustable, a spare wheel or horn all functioning properly and not used for decoration<p><br>
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dinopeh

[ Edited ]

Some people, when they buy something that cost peanuts to others may cost an arm or leg to others.

Like me, I just walked into the shop, sick of my N97 and just took the N9 and walked.

Of cos, there will be some who will check specs, made in where, how many months of mugs of beer must i cut down so i can buy this phone, so actually no need to go into this area.

Bottomline, Nokia up big time in releasing this phone.

I love this phone now though I hated it when i bot it.

Of cos, no thanks to Nokia but to the other blogs avail online wif HACKS THAT WORK!

Now I love my phone & dun feel like I bot a car wif a horn that I forgot to test if it works......lol

Just when I tot that nokia will once again come in and put apple back in its place, yes I've been using non other than nokia since their 2110 days, it's clear that it's time for new blood to take the reigns where nokia will just take the back seat.

The battle has been lost.

Lumia is already testament to that!

Moderators notes: Profanity removed.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

When i bought it, then in the specs was video calls, voice dialing, voice commands supported.
Now video calls are not supported , but voice dialing and commands still are, how to use them?
Please use plain text.
hazel0172000

yes i have n9 also...this unit is useless they have 3g but they didnt they work...my god please give reply how to use video call on this unit of n9

Please use plain text.
Contributor
evolushan

That is so freaking TRUE!!! When I got my N9 back in Oct 2011 and I had got it for the very reason that, as I was told both by Nokia and Vodafone at the time that the N9 does do and is capable of Video Calling via a Mobile Service Provider's 3G Network but later on, well after I had obtained my N9 that I was told it cannot do Video Calls via a Mobile Service Provider's 3G Network.
So as a result, after being a Nokia user for the past nearly 12 years, I have now switched to the Samsung Galaxy S II, which in my opinion is a far superior handset.
Once again, why THE F have a front forward facing camera in the 1st place when it is totally USELESS!!! Not only cannot make Video Calls via a Mobile Service Provider's 3G Network but cannot and does not even work with a 3rd party software such as Skype etc??? Come on Nokia Management, put on your thinking caps, will you !!!
Please use plain text.
Sage
banlec

[ Edited ]

"I find it unbelievable that people spend 500-1000 $ or EUR in a phone without reading the **bleep*  specifications!"

I read the spec before I bought N9 16 GB and I was extremely surprised that it has only 9.5 GB memory available to user and not 16 GB as advertised! I wrote a complain to Nokia but they replied that this is not their problem! In my view, Nokia should mention this limitation clearly. If I only knew this I would simply buy 64 GB version. Now, my opinion about Nokia is slightly different - they do not care!

Moderator's note: Profanity removed, please do not try to bypass the smut filter.

Please use plain text.
Sage
TRDN900

hi even on 64 gb u have same for APPS, the rest of GB is for music and video, no use of having 64 also, same GB in 16 and 64 for apps, i sold my 16 gb and got 64 and find out this.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bargo1983

I received today an update says the your N9 will be able to start video calls 

but the problem that is not supported with skype 

any solution are available 

pls help

qaisabrar wrote:

I have Nokia N9. I have seen in the nokia web site it support 3G VIDEO Call . but i cant find an option to make video call. Kindly confirm whether I can make 3G video calls

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Dambala

[ Edited ]

PR 1.2 - Still no video calls! Why???

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
typoto

The interesting is that the yesterday update says that will have supported video call... but where, when and how is the question. Good job nokia, the second terrible phone from you. Its true that nokia die! I'm nokia fan, but with the buying of this phone im ................... i just dont have a words!

Please use plain text.