Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Virus on N900??!!

h24821807

Virus on N900??!!

I don't know what happened, it used to be fine. But today while I connect my N900 to my PC using Mass Storage Mode, AVG start to say that there are virus in my N900 which is Worm/Generic.GCW in the Recycler\AutoLanch.exe and Worm/Generic.GCW in the Music\Music.exe.

My AVG Anti-Virus Version is 9.0.791 with Virus DB 271.1.1/2751.

Please help, is it any big trouble or is just fault posivtive?

Mobile Guru

The N900, when used in mass storage mode, is EXACTLY the same as a USB memory stick.. So infected content can be copied onto the stoage.

this is incredibly unlikely to be the phone's fault... it is more likely you have connected it to an infect machine or copied infected content on the the phone using mass storage mode..

Why else would there be a "music.exe" on the storage?

where have you been using this phone? I suggest deleting the infected files.. you shouldn't have ".exe" files on your phone anyway.. the phone can't use exe files, so why keep them there?

Registered Member
steveblower

the same is happening to me when I connect my 5800 express music to my desktop for sync.

AVG says some file on my desktop has been infected with a trojan horse.

it clears up ok, goes to the vault as it should, but I dont like it.

I tried connecting to my netbook, and exactly the same thing happened.

there must be something on the phone that is triggering this.

Mobile Guru

It is a mass storage device.. like a USB stick.. so it is capable of carrying a virus...  this does not mean the phone is "infected" by a virus..

As far as the phone is concerned, the infected / malicious exe file is just another file the phone will ignore.. (what's a phone going to do with a windows exe file?! it just ignores it..)

Professor
Mick_H1

Not sure if it would be any use, but you can get anti-virus programs that reside on USB sticks now. Not sure if having one of those sitting in mass memory would cause any problems with the normal day to day operation of the phone.

Other than that Avira do a Linux based rescue CD that you insert into your PC before you boot up. It boots from the CD so absolutely nothing is loaded from Windows and it allows access to all your drives, and because no Windows services are loaded it scans those as well. Not sure if that would be of any use for scanning the N900.

It would also be a good idea to disable Windows Auto-run too, as this can be a hiding place for certain viruses and malware.

Counsellor

Sounds like you might have a virus/spyware/malware on your pc.  I don't trust AVG anymore.

Might try uninstalling it and loading up Microsoft's Security Essentials, updating, and running a full scan.  I suggest this since you're saying it's happening when you plug in different USB devices.

What OS are you running on your pc?  Are you updated?

Sage

Some friendly advice from a just-retired computer professional (45 years as a programmer and manager of software development projects):

1. Consider running Linux on your PC instead of, or in addition to, Windows. If you are not a Linux guru, I would suggest Ubuntu or Mint as Linux distributions that are easy-to-install and administer. If you are savvy enough to use a partition-editing tool to make space on your disk, you can easily set your system up dual-boot, so you can boot either Windows or Linux (both Ubuntu and Mint will do this at install time). Linux can also be set up (at install-time or afterwards) to mount your Windows filesystem. Running Linux eliminates all the virus headaches. I just don't understand why people put up with this when good alternatives, such as Linux, exist.

2. If you insist on running Windows and don't want to run Linux, do NOT do your daily work in an account with 'administrator' privileges. Set up a separate account with administrator privileges or use an existing one (there's undoubtedly already an 'Administrator' account on your machine) for doing system administration, such as adding/deleting applications or updating drivers, but do NOT use that account for normal web browsing, email reading, etc. Why? Because administrator privileges gives an account that has them the ability to write anywhere in the Windows file-system, including where the Windows system files live. When some criminal manages to slip a virus by you, that virus comes in the form of executable code that runs in your account. If YOU can scribble over the whole machine, so can the virus. If you run in a so-called 'limited' account, then you have write-access only to your own personal files, which you should back up religiously. If you manage to allow a virus to run, that virus will be restricted just to damaging your files, not the operating system's files (and usually viruses are interested in the system files, because that's where they can do their real harm). The consequences are much less severe. Damage to your files will require reloading from a backup, or you might lose some work. Damage to the operating system files, and you either have to restore the entire system from a backup, if you have one, or you have to re-install Windows, your apps, and whatever you can salvage of your personal files, a major hassle even if you have all the CDs/DVDs you might need. Virus scanners try to repair the damage after-the-fact, at the cost of slowing your machine down significantly every time you use it and they are not always successful at removing a virus. They also require maintenance as new viruses appear. I do not run virus scanners when I am forced to use Windows, and have never had a virus problem.

Sage
MrOddJob

Many thanks for the very good advise "donallen" I will be making some ajustments to my own system after reading your post, hope more people take your advise to, thanks again.

tomkar83

I have scanned my 900 with avast and found about 300 infected files, connected as mass storage. I am worried and not sure to delete them or not. I dont know if it is showing good files as infected files.