Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: What is the N900 directory structure?

rotoflex
Accepted Solution

What is the N900 directory structure?

I have updated to the latest version of maemo and installed a few apps and added some music.

When I clicked on the Ovi maps icon on the front screen, it never exited from the "Looking for GPS" message, so I exited via X.

After, all my files (music, docs) and subdirectories were gone, and the entire file structure visible via File Manager in PC-Suite was only the folder "cities" with some subfolders in it.

I would like to add music, etc. back in without having to drastically re-install the OS or something.  I did not yet back it up.

Can anyone give a screen shot of the directory structure visible in PC-suite File Manager so that I can reconstruct it?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
matthew_maude

i don't have a pc to hand but try taking the battery out for about 30 seconds. you'd be amazed what this solves and its unlikely you deleted the folders via xterm

©2012 DJ Matt

Please use plain text.
rotoflex

That did it!  Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
matthew_maude

if you get stuck with apps press the power button and select end current task form the menu

©2012 DJ Matt

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
wovens

@matthew_maude:<quote> try taking the battery out for about 30 seconds. you'd be amazed what this solves </quote>
Sorry to barge into this thread but I am amazed at the powers of taking the battery off. What I don't like is having to set the time and date everytime I do so. I am a beginner to linux/maemo, is ther a way of getting this set in stone sort of speak? I did not have this problem with WiMo hardware. It is very annoying! Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
matthew_maude

if you go in to settings, time and date and select the auto update option, then when you put the battery back in just accept the time and date it defaults to and it will correct it for you

©2012 DJ Matt

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
wovens

I had the auto-update always ticked but, was led to believe by the ititial screen asking again for date and time that the auto-update was not working. I will try again and let the message go by without manual update to see how it goes. Thanks.
Please use plain text.