Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: What routers are compatible with the N9?

Advisor
qvarnstrom

What routers are compatible with the N9?

I recently bought a couple of N9s for me and my girlfriend but after connecting them to our home network the router keeps crashing. I've heard about this happening to other people too (with specific routers (mine is a D-Link Dir635)) so rather than returning the phones which I bought in another country I thought I'd try with a new router to solve one, of many, problems with these phones. Does anyone have experience with the ASUS RT-N56U?

I'm so far not a very happy new Nokia-customer.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

i personally use linksys, but have not had any of the challenges you are having. not really sure even how your n9 could hurt your wifi router.
Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Advisor
qvarnstrom

No, I'm not on the clear how they do it either but before connecting the N9s the router never froze (except sometimes when used with my old old laptop) but now as soon as one of the phones come into the area the traffic stops and the router becomes non-responsive...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

maybe try it on another persons router before you buy one.

all else fails, bronze that n9. that is pretty amazing.

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

My N9 will not connect to my dual band router at home on 5GHz (though it will on 2.4)

Coincidentally, it will connect to my work's wifi setup but ONLY on 5GHz.. and even more irritatingly, this causes a fault as I have bluetooth active all day too... randomly it will drop off the wifi network and I'll have to manually reconnect..

I have a E4200 Linksys at home (and a Billion 7800n too) and it plays well with both.. but seems to ignore the 5GHz bands :smileysad:

Also, why is it so much hastle to find out which band the device is using?! I feel an app coming on to show wifi network info
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jaripi

qvarnstrom - you wrote that you bought them from other country - have you already updated it (from PR 1.0 to PR 1.1) - I can remember that there was some improvements in PR 1.1 for WLAN side ...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
qvarnstrom

No, not updated yet. Bought it when I was home in Sweden last week so no update and no word on when one is coming.

I did try it on some friends routers in Sweden and didnt think about it then but it made one of my friends router become unavailable every now and then but worked fine on the other. I'll ask them what routers they are using.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jaripi

I have used my N9 phone in the numerous places, without any problems ... it has been working well at home, local fast food places and even in few hotels in Philippines too (it was PR 1.0 on that time) ... so I think that it is not a big problem, just bad luck ... anyway, i would buy Linksys instead of Asus in case of a router, just avoid D-link (just to be sure that there is no more problems)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Xose

[ Edited ]
Exactly same problem here - my setup: FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7390 WLAN N, 2.4 and 5 GHz both active, same SSID assigned, I'm facing the issue with N8 and N9. In my opinion the problem is related to wireless N (disabling N fixes the problem apparently for me, but did not test extensively) combined with additional settings and the mentioned Nokia devices. Main thread discussing connection issues: /t5/Maemo-and-MeeGo-Devices/N9-Wi-Fi-internet-connectivity-problem/td-p/1189865
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Xose

Can anyone confirm N9 working with WLAN N, 2.4 and 5 GHz both active, same SSID assigned to both frequency bands?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
whitp1

I have a dual-band Netgear router and my N9 connects very happily to both 2.4 and 5GHz channels. I have it connected to 5GHz as default to avoid congestion with my other wireless devices. However I use different SSID for each band - your N9 might be getting confused if they are both the same

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Xose

I did rename the 2.4 Hz frequency band and finally I'm now able to stablish a stable WLAN connection at home with my N9. I will make some further in-depth testing tomorrow. But big thanks to whitp1 for the golden tip so far!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Xose

OK, first negative experience: Downloading maps stops each 8.5 MB and Wi-Fi connection on N9 seems to be blocked ...
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Xose

[ Edited ]

Hi all, here we are again. These are my latest experiences:

With unique SSID identifier for each frequency band (2.4 and 5 GHz) at least I can web-browse the internet with my N9 and my WLAN is not blocked - this regardless of what band I I'm connecting to and/or if I have switched N-mode on or off.

The download of large amounts of data (eg maps, feeds, etc.) is definitely not reliable in my case, no matter what WLAN configuration I choose. There's definitely something wrong with, just what?

I will now try to analyze the problem with the support of my router provider. Nevertheless, I would very appreciate a short comment from Nokia concerning this issue. I have several devices at home (iPad, MacBook, any kind of Windows stuff) and the Nokia devices are the only ones causing me troubles with WLAN. If you do a little bit of investigation on the internet concerning reported problems related to N9 connectivity issues (WLAN, WiFi, connectivity, communication), thenn you perhaps will be a little bit surprised how big the number is - compared to the small footprint of the N9 on the market I'm definitely worried...

But, I do not give up! Not now...
Please use plain text.
Technical Expert

Unfortunately it's hard to give any list of WLAN routers that are compatible with N9 but in general, if there's any issues, it's worth checking that the latest firmware version is installed in the router. Incompatibilities have been observed e.g. with the power save feature and 802.11n mode. The FAQs below describe some of the issues that were found with certain WLAN routers and firmware versions with the Symbian devices but similar issues could occur also with N9:

http://www.nokia.co.uk/gb-en/support/faq/?action=singleFAQ&caseid=FA132503_en_US

http://www.nokia.co.uk/gb-en/support/faq/?action=singleFAQ&caseid=FA133833_en_US

If there's any problems with the WLAN power save mode, the workaround could be to disable the WMM power save in the WLAN access point. If issues with 802.11n mode, it's worth trying if forcing the access point to the 802.11b/g mode helps. The first thing is, however, to check if there's any firmware update for the access point because there may have been important corrections for the above features in later firmware versions.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
qvarnstrom

I have now bought and installed an Asus RT-N56U and my N9 is working great on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. I do use different SSIDs.
My phone has yet t reach powersavemode, but that was not necessary to crash my previous Dir 635 router (it had the latest firmware).
Thus, so far so good. I will be sure to update if things start **bleep**ing up later :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Interestingly, I'm using my N9 with a Cisco corporate wlan installation. It is both 2.4 and 5GHz a/b/g/n

My N9 connects using 5GHz, not sure why it prefers it, but it does.. I've not found a way to force the N9 to use 2.4GHz.

Interestingly, I can remain connected to the AP all day without problems unless I use bluetooth. If I create a bluetooth connection (to my PC or to some headphones) a short time later, my phone will become mute. It cannot send data to the network (using tcpdump and other diagnostics tools on the phone and network) even though it believes it is still connected.

If I close the bluetooth connection, disconnect from the wifi and re-connect to the wifi it will carry on working correctly... until I open a bluetooth connection again..

This is very unlikely to be a flaw in the router. Enabling a bluetooth connection should not suddenly cause a router to be unsupported! Also, its a Cisco AP!! How much more standards can we get :smileywink:

I've logged a bug on the harmattan bugzilla and I hope it is investigated. With so many hardware/driver issues there often isn't much improvement after the device is launched..

(interestingly, when I use my N950 connected to the same wifi AP, i do not see this problem.. but then again, I don't believe the N950 supports 5GHz wifi, only 2.4GHz)

I'm still trying to find the model name of the cisco devices and the exact configuration so I can pass it on..

tl;dr the phone's wifi capabilitiies sometimes seem to change depending on what the device is doing

pj98 wrote:

Unfortunately it's hard to give any list of WLAN routers that are compatible with N9 but in general, if there's any issues, it's worth checking that the latest firmware version is installed in the router. Incompatibilities have been observed e.g. with the power save feature and 802.11n mode. The FAQs below describe some of the issues that were found with certain WLAN routers and firmware versions with the Symbian devices but similar issues could occur also with N9:

http://www.nokia.co.uk/gb-en/support/faq/?action=singleFAQ&caseid=FA132503_en_US

http://www.nokia.co.uk/gb-en/support/faq/?action=singleFAQ&caseid=FA133833_en_US

If there's any problems with the WLAN power save mode, the workaround could be to disable the WMM power save in the WLAN access point. If issues with 802.11n mode, it's worth trying if forcing the access point to the 802.11b/g mode helps. The first thing is, however, to check if there's any firmware update for the access point because there may have been important corrections for the above features in later firmware versions.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Xose

Tx all for the comments, very appreciated. My router vendor is currently supporting me while trying to identify the problem in my particular case. 'll get back to the community as soon as there are interesting news to report.

Cheers,

Xoxe

Please use plain text.