Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Why I RETURNED my new beautiful N9.

Contributor
Aallonharja

Why I RETURNED my new beautiful N9.

why? well, where to start? :/ although the design is really beautiful and the system design as well, there were "a few" problems:

- synchronization program is ugly. it looks basically like a printer installation program from 1999
- synchronization program does NOT synchronize. the only option for me to synchronize was thanks to my E7. no other option.
- ebook reader does NOT read ebooks
- radio does NOT exist on that phone
- slow. sometimes slower than my E7
- often impossible to use in horizontal position
- no background pictures. the only one that is possible disappears after a few seconds. i want my screen to show a picture, not a black empty screen!
- first email: took 3 days to set up
- second email: impossible to set up
- loses mobile signal where E7 has zero issue
- loses wifi signal where E7 has zero issue (even next to a wifi antenna)
- does not automatically refresh email box, news feeds, fb feeds, etc
- music player (although beautifully designed) does NOT have equalizer
- NO positioning arrows when writing. the cursor is sometimes impossible to place
- NOT possible to switch off viewing pictures and videos on internet (so those 8MB commercials always upload)
- hard to navigate on some internet pages. scrolls to the top or bottom of webpages incontrollably all the time
- maps take 40 seconds to initialize (very upsetting when you need to find out where to go immediately)
- favorite/searched locations within the maps are NOT possible to be viewed on the map. you basically have to remember them, that's it. not sure what the point is of saving favorites to the maps then... not sure what the point of the maps is, if you cannot save the places that you wish to visit during your next trip...
- impossible to delete maps to save space, unless you delete all of them
- camera button missing. therefore very difficult to take picture of oneself
- camera having less functionalities than the one in E7
- frontal camera does NOT work

- NO even basic applications, such as SBB (looking for train departure times, buying tickets etc).

-etc etc.

VERY DISAPPOINTING. i am glad Stephen Elop switched to Windows. This phone would have been the last death kiss for Nokia. It is a beautiful, bad, unuseable, expensive phone.

I have NO idea what the people developping this phone have been doing in the past slow years. Really NO idea at all. Nokia doesn't lose much by letting them go, unfortunately I have to say...

Tomas.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
zenrio

saw your problems and I have to say
You should return it
It need a better owner to unlock its potential :squint:
Please use plain text.
HanzBlix

- synchronization program is ugly. it looks basically like a printer installation program from 1999

?? really

- synchronization program does not synchronize,

should have done your research and hooked it up via a cloud service.

- ebook reader does NOT read ebooks

what ebook reader are you judging Nokia on?

a third party one?

- radio does NOT exist on that phone

meh but its being developed by meego community.

- slow. sometimes slower than my E7, I find that hard to believe.

1ghz vs 680 mhz, 1GB Ram vs 256? and N9 is slower?

- often impossible to use in horizontal position, its not impossible, it was designed that way but if you wanted to you could have used a mod to achieve that, that being one of the many strengths of Maemo / Meego.

- no background pictures. the only one that is possible disappears after a few seconds. i want my screen to show a picture, not a black empty screen!

your battery will die real quick if it was to didplay a picture instead of a blank standby screen.

and how often can you actually see any of the backgrounds behing app icons? you certainly wouldnt want them behind txt on the noticication screen, which leaves multi tasking screen.

- first email: took 3 days to set up
- second email: impossible to set up

had no issues there myself, 3 accounts all set up first pop.

- loses mobile signal where E7 has zero issue
- loses wifi signal where E7 has zero issue (even next to a wifi antenna)

my comparison between my N8 and N9 makes me disagree with that though i haven't tested exaustively, (Maybe its a faulty unit)

there is supposed to be a fix for wifi reception in the Pr 1.1 update

- does not automatically refresh email box, news feeds, fb feeds, etc

refer to settings

- music player (although beautifully designed) does NOT have equalizer

you could have downloaded one.

- NO positioning arrows when writing. the cursor is sometimes impossible to place

if you hold your finger on a text box, like flatten it so that its more of your fingerprint, it will bring up a magnifier to do this.

- NOT possible to switch off viewing pictures and videos on internet (so those 8MB commercials always upload)

tried any other browsers?

- hard to navigate on some internet pages. scrolls to the top or bottom of webpages incontrollably all the time

you'll find that on computers as well.

- maps take 40 seconds to initialize (very upsetting when you need to find out where to go immediately)

fixed in pr 1.1 being rolled out as now, should start almost instantly.

- favorite/searched locations within the maps are NOT possible to be viewed on the map. you basically have to remember them, that's it. not sure what the point is of saving favorites to the maps then... not sure what the point of the maps is, if you cannot save the places that you wish to visit during your next trip...

havent trie this on N9 yet but I think your right about that one.

- impossible to delete maps to save space, unless you delete all of them

Why would you want to? but it would certainly be possible.

- camera button missing. therefore very difficult to take picture of oneself

- camera having less functionalities than the one in E7

you should have known about the lack of a real button when you brought it.

- frontal camera does NOT work,

meh but that will come.

- NO even basic applications, such as SBB (looking for train departure times, buying tickets etc).

-etc etc.

have you heard of ovi store theres a plethoras of basic and advanced apps thank you very much?

but why not download a pdf or load their full website?

VERY DISAPPOINTING. i am glad Stephen Elop switched to Windows. This phone would have been the last death kiss for Nokia. It is a beautiful, bad, unuseable, expensive phone.

I have NO idea what the people developping this phone have been doing in the past slow years. Really NO idea at all. Nokia doesn't lose much by letting them go, unfortunately I have to say...

Do us all a favour and go out and buy Nokias first  WP mobile phone, then keep us posted on how lacking in functionality WP is, and how little time your battery will last.

Nokia loses it's identity by losing those developers, now its to become just another hardware manufacturer like htc.

It is beautiful, great, very usable and frankly compared to a galaxy S2 or iPhone the N9 is damn cheap.

You my friend are not tech savvy, you just think you are.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dinopeh

Actually I dun really blame him.
I admit I'm not tech savvy at all too.
I have been using Nokia like forever but I refrained from switching to Apple although I have the 3, 4 & 4s at home and boy am I familiar wif apple.
Anyways, I almost gave up on my N9 too cos when I got it, it doesnt have Chinese text support & most of my associates are from China!
It was only when I went searching around online that I found out about how to use the developer mode blah blah, installed the chinese software even before i got the PR1.1 update & was thrilled to explore more, like increasing spacing for the letters etc basically called hacking.
If one is a basic consumer, then he would expect a fully functional device once they buy it off the counter.
Like the camera that doesnt work.
That's plain BS if you ask me.
Imagine buying a car that has R gear and D gear where you can only engage D to drive but you cant use R!
I understand what the poster felt but I guess i am different, I never said DIE & just gave up.
Now I'm loving my N9 more than i did when i 1st had it.
As for many of his issues, yes, guess he doesnt know where to search to find what he needs on the net when it's all there.
For his email issues, i did my 3 diff mail accounts wif no probs at all.
Guess he had some software issues.
Please use plain text.
Sage
Xose

[ Edited ]
Hi there,

the discussion here should be as fair and objective as possible: Aallonharja has bought a gadget for about 650 and noted that it has some deficiencies and therefore does not fully met his expectations. He is frustrated and admittedly he writes a bit (to) emotional.

But, sure, some of these "defects" can now be bypassed or be fixed manually - but only if you're technically savvy, if you have enough time to spend and if you delight in tinkering and modeling. Not everyone does met these requirements. And as far as I know it's not documented that you mandatory have to be a developer, a nerd or a geek to handle this device. :smileyvery-happy:

Aallonharja would certainly have had the opportunity to gather information in advance and better evaluate the device before buying, this might have saved himself from to be frustrated that much. I like the N9 very well - since the legendary N95, this is Nokia's first device that could fascinate me - although I am struggling with some weaknesses of the device too. I mostly understand Aallonharja's reaction - but I would never ever return my N9. :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Advisor
HenryDavidTh

lucky guy, I wish i have a return policy in my country. I'm stuck with my beautiful yet useless n9 now. BTW, where is the ebuddy xms promised some time ago?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ausadl

if somebody needs 3 days to set up an email account then probably smartphones are not the devices for you. Should not take longer than 5 minutes. I definitely keep my N9 and maybe get another one ...
Please use plain text.
Sage
Xose

[ Edited ]

HenryDavidTh, useless... :smileysurprised:

eBuddy XMS promised by whom? It's 3rd party, wrong forum -> http://www.ebuddyxms.com/support

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Kerro

"very difficult to take picture of oneself:"

LOL, better return the phone then. :-)

Please use plain text.
Sage
Xose

Yep, slightly peculiar justification, :-)

But I have to admit that I'm missing the hardware button for the camera sometimes: in my opinion the device could be kept more stable that way.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
HenryDavidTh

[ Edited ]

Xose wrote:

HenryDavidTh, useless... :smileysurprised:

eBuddy XMS promised by whom? It's 3rd party, wrong forum -> http://www.ebuddyxms.com/support

Useless as in the inability to satisfy basic needs of modern smart phone users: to edit and reply work emails or documents, to synchronize with outlook and comminicate with friends & family via messaging apps like whatsapp or ebuddy.

We are not asking too much for a smart phone on this price level, are we? Did i bought a functioning basic phone or just a toy to play with. I'm tired of talking of the bugs myself anyway. Lets hope nokia would kindly shut us up with by dispatching a fix not too far in the future.

eBuddy XMS as promised by nokia in nokia world:

http://mynokiablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Screen-Shot-2011-10-31-at-11.22.46.jpg

Please use plain text.
Sage
Xose

Dear HenryDavidTh, listen, I'm on the same "Robinson Crusoe" island. How things are around N9 shows some internet queries (thank google):

nokia n9 wifi issue -> 1'770'000
nokia n9 wifi problem -> 775'000
nokia n9 wlan issues -> 1'880'000
nokia n9 wlan problems -> 689'000
nokia n9 connectivity problem -> 920'000
nokia n9 connection problems -> 13'400'000

nokia n9 e-mail problems -> 1'500'000

nokia n9 e-mail issues -> 1'930'000

nokia n9 email problems -> 983'000

nokia n9 email issues -> 9'610'000

We should manifest our discontent toward Nokia: Objectively, constructively and with good arguments. Just crying and throw hands does not really help.

Concerning eBuddy XMS I can't imagine that Nokia has promised something, but maybe I'm wrong, I don't know the exact facts - the following information points me more towards the eBuddy developers than to Nokia: http://mynokiablog.com/2011/11/13/ebuddy-xms-beta-for-nokia-sign-up-now/

So long,

José

Please use plain text.
Advisor
HenryDavidTh

<body><p>Cant agree with you more. c: a bit too sentimental towards this phone.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
marti667

Hi, I can't compare the N9 with an E7. My last phone was a Samsung Bada S8500. There are so many BUGs, you would not believe me. Not even an alarm clock works reliable on a Bada phone :-)
I agree with HanzBlix. The N9 is great, I love it. It syncs with Ubuntu over Bluetooth without problems.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
blakkpanter

I adore the N9...  been waiting for it since my N900.

Looks, feels and works good. Had none of the troubles i see u had, and as with N900 any probs or missing links will be corrected in future if not by Nokia then by the community.... 

But then again like the N900 its maybe not a phone for everyone...

:smileyhappy:

N9 64 Black
N900
N97 Black
Please use plain text.
Professor
mccoy1

you all better stop bashing the OP because he'll will have the last laugh. Compare iphone 4/4s and sumsong galaxy s2 and you'll easilly see that n9 fall short of the basics requirement of modern smartphone. Of course you won't notice if you lock yourself in.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
HenryDavidTh

<body><p>According to the representative of ebuddy tho, we will be having study XML next week.  hope n9 is picking up with the pace of the other smartphones  soon.
Please use plain text.
Sage
Xose

Hi HenryDavidTh, great news! This is a very good constructive contribution to the comunity, congrats. I like it more that way.

And, you'r right: Sometime I like to sound a little bit sentimental. :-)
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jaripi

I just bought one N9 more for my family ... anyway, we want wish you all the best, take care yourself ...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jaripi

FOR HenryDavidTh ... I was wondering your messages, there is HTML tags, like <body><p> in the front of your text .... what causes that ? - have you done resetting of your phone (like hard reset) ? ... just my feeling, that your christmas will be better, if you reinstall your phone OS by your computer using Nokia software Updater program ... but you have to back up all vital files before you do that to ensure that you are not losing any personal files, like photos, etc. ...

Please use plain text.