Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

can't flash kernel in nokia n900, please help.

Advisor
seabase1
Accepted Solution

can't flash kernel in nokia n900, please help.

My nokia N900 has suddenly has gone into weired loop of showing error message>>rebooting>>again error meesage...

message says "can't flash kernels, required files not found

Guru Meditation #00000025.62017712"

I tried flashing and downloaded "Flasher", "WinFlasher_3.12.1.exe", since I've windows 7 in 32 bit operating system.

It opens properly, but after i give first command "flasher-3.5.exe -F pr1.2.bin -f". It shows prompt command and says nothing about detecting, as lot of post refers to.

Please someone help me on this.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: can't flash kernel in nokia n900, please help.

@seabase1

Shouldn't it be:-

flasher-3.5 -F RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin --flash-only=kernel -f -R

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor
seabase1

First, Thanks a lot for replying.

Second, I'm not very familiar with linux. I followed the instructions posted by ceroberts75 as sticky at the first page. 

1. Download the Flasher

2. Download the latest firmware image for your N900  (you will need your IMEI of the device)

3. when you save the global variant of the firmware to the "flasher-3.5" folder, save it as "pr1.2.bin"

4.  When you save the vanilla file of the firmware to the "flasher-3.5" folder, save it as "vanilla.bin"

5.  Turn your phone off

6.  launch the flasher-3.5 program

7.  type this command:   flasher-3.5.exe -F pr1.2.bin -f

it will then scroll a bunch of gibberish and then say it is looking for a unit.

8.  with the phone still off, hold slide the kb open and hold the "U" button while you connect the usb cable to the phone.  continue holding the "U" until you see the faint "NOKIA" logo and/or the USB connection symbol in the top right.  The flasher will find the device and automatically flash the unit to the original rom

9.  after about 1.5 minutes, it will be complete.  DO NOT DISCONNECT YOUR UNIT!

10.  type this command:   flasher-3.5.exe -F vanilla.bin -f -R

11.  now it should reflash the device and wipe the emmc clean of EVERYTHING.  after it reboots, you can disconnect it.

My problem starts after step 7. It doesn't scrolls any thing nor it says its looking for the unit. It keeps going back to prompt command.

I hope somebody can tell me what mistake I'm doing.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
seabase1

I've got the first step solved by keeping the name of downloaded files as it is but now new error has occurred.  A new command box appears and says something about writing. But when it reaches 100%, it goes back to first command box. I quite don't know how to explain it so i've attached a picture of it. Behind is the original command box.

Can someone please help me with this problem.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@seabase1

You might also want to access this resource:http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware#Flashing_the_eMMC_in_the_N900

Please use plain text.
Advisor
seabase1

Thank you aspergerguy for your time and effort. But I had send the phone to repair center and they have fixed it. though I had to send money.

However , thanks again for all the reply. I really appreciate your effort.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
yo_pem

hi,
can't we do tis in windows 7 64bits ?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@yo_pem

Think that you can with workaround:http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=57442&page=2

Please use plain text.