Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: can't use my files in file manager

Counsellor
knightm
Accepted Solution

can't use my files in file manager

hello. I find it weird and quite irritating that i can view all my files in file manager. But when i actually want to use a file they are not available.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
matthew_maude

what kind of file and what does the error message say?

©2012 DJ Matt

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
knightm

there's actually no error message. its like if i go to use a song or picture for something, the file folders don't show them. But if i am just browsing the file manager, I see everything.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Could be a "corrupt" database of files..
What happens if you use a PC to rename or move the file? Do they appear afterwards?

Does this affect all files, or just some? Does it only affect files added recently?

what happens if you take a photo with the camera? Does the photo file appear?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
knightm

nope every folder is empty when i want to use a file. only there when i click on file manager to look through the files but not there to actually use the files
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
knightm

on the pc i have to check but i think so
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

You could try this:

Open the terminal application and run this command:

tracker-processes    -r

This'll wipe away any file meta info and it should cause the phone to "Rescan" everything on your mass storage, photos, videos music etc..

Give it a while, though.. it can take some time for the re-scan to complete if you have many files on your phone..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
knightm

so tracker-processes -r?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

in a terminal, yes

Note there is only one space on that command.. between tracker-processes and -r

Got to be careful, users here sometimes add spaces in all the wrong places!
ha
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
knightm

oh yea, that -r makes me nervous, wiped my phone twice during a nitdroid install!oh yea, that -r makes me nervous, wiped my phone twice during a nitdroid install!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

The "tracker" thing maintains a database of all the media files on your device.. for example, artist, album, trackname, length, bit rate of music files... resolution of photos stuff like that.

This is how the phone can quickly show you a complete list of photos, it lists the database, rather than scanning the phone for suitable files (which takes much longer)

the tracker indexer process, iirc, also watches when files get added to the phone (NOT via USB.. I'll get to that in a mo) When a file gets changed / added, the tracker is woken up and examines the new file adding it to the database..

If the tracker database becomes corrupted, everything gets a bit screwy

When you use USB storage to copy on data, the tracker can't watch as it happens.. instead when you unplug the phone from your PC, it has to scan for new files.. its slower, but normally just as effective..

the -r option instructs the tracker system to bin the old database and start from scratch.. it'll go and rescan your mass storage (and SD card if you have one) and put the stuff back in the database..

If you have a broken file, there's always the risk that when it tries to "index" the file, it messes the database up and you end up with no files showing again..

the -r is safe, especially since you can't see any files at the moment..

it is NOT the same as rm -r :smileywink:

it is an abbreviation for --hard-reset as in delete the data and reset.. but your files them selves will not be altered at all..

How's it going? Looking better now?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
knightm

great explanation! now I will do it, whenever i see -r i get a little hesitant. but with this explanation i will go ahead and do it.. Thanks alot

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
knightm

ok so t got an error, said could not find root file so it didnt do it
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
knightm

ok did it again w/o root says removing databases
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Can you cut and paste what it said? Alternatively, press CTRL + SHIFT + P to take a screenshot, then attach that screenshot file to a reply here (you should be able to see it inside the web browser when you select which file to upload) It'll be under images then screenshots

If you're still having no joy, we can try "debugging" your phone
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

oooh.. did you run it as the root user, or as the normal user?

I think you need to run it as the normal user, not as root
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
knightm

its workn now.hehe
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

The command or your ability to see your files? If both, can you mark my post as the solution? prodding a green star'd be cool too :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
knightm

ok, for sure....i have to check but i'll def leave good feedback for ya
Please use plain text.