Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: considering N9 from E72

Counsellor
pellicle
Accepted Solution

considering N9 from E72

Hi

I currently have an E72, which more or less I like. I am considering trying an N9 but wonder about a few points. I would be appreciative if anyone has any comments about this.

• feel like trying the swipe OS, seems to have a good browser. The E72 is increasingly inadequate as a browser
  • want maps that are off line (not needing 3G connection), the E72 does this, does the N9?
  • GPS locations: the E72 has 'locations' which allows me to record the Lat and Long of a place I am standing in. There is also a 'navigation' which is simply direction / distance to that point. I find this quite helpful
  • I use voice dialing a lot on the E72, I understood that there is nothing like this on the N9
  • I use the "reader" to read SMS's to me when I am driving so that I don't need much interaction with the phone when an SMS comes in. Does the N9 have this?
  • Flashing alert light on the E72 is great, does the N9 have anything similar to attract my attention to a call?
  • email is a bit buggy on the E72, has the N9 improved this?
  • Calendar on the E72 is a bit difficult on occasions, how is the N9
  • speaker volume for hands free. I've heard it is not so good on the N9 (so far my E63 has been the best)
  • how is the SKYPE integration? I use skype on the E72 and its quite acceptable

thanks

Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@pellicle

Looking at your criteria I think that unfortunately N9 would fall short upon several of your demands. I find N9 pretty feeble when reliant upon Integrated GPS especially if hasn't been used for a while, although to be fair E72 is not great compared with some other handsets. Notification LED never made it, with it only being used to show battery charging which is a complete waste although "hackers" have had varying degrees of success in showing receipt of SMS. Skype needs Peregrine app. installed either from Nokia Store or http://wiki.peregrine-communicator.org/display/app/Download

Unless you are a linux fan and prepared to tinker I don't think that you would realise it's full potential and it wasn't until Lumia 820 and 920 came along that I felt it's screen is now a bit small.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Counsellor
pellicle

hi

Thanks for that ,as it happens I am a Linux guy and a tinkerer, but the other criteria are important to me.

Thing is though I'd rather use a laptop or a tablet and the E72 with Joiku shares my phones 3G quite adequately.

:-)

Guess I'll keep waiting for a better phone to emerge