Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: disappointed with my new n900

Advisor
Accepted Solution

disappointed with my new n900

[ Edited ]

I just got an n900 and very disappointed  

I can't download music to it via the PC suite I have downloaded some small apps and themes to my PC  that I can't install through the application installer- it says that there is no memory left to install a tiny app when i have 20+GB available

Im used to my N95 doing it no problem

the whole phone seems unfinished - a half assed job and im reading posts from  people with the same issues saying "nokia is going to bring out a PC suite for the n900 that will work" and  "OVI will be working soon" that date back to February

I also fully charged it overnight its been on for 4 hours and the battery is nearly flat and I have only plugged in the mini USB thingo 3 times and the input socket is really loose.

No EQ on the music player??  and no ability to edit the track names/artists in the menu

The N95 not only had EQ but stereo widening and other cool features - What a step down

i can't believe it - it almost 100% useless

can anyone tell me something good about this phone before I scrap it?

Please use plain text.
Professor

You can put music on via PC suite. Or, you just open 'my computer', click on N900, 'audio', and drag the files in there.

The Ovi Suite for the N900 is out in beta at the moment, the beta is ending shortly and the real one will be released after that.

You can edit the track or artist names - but if you're putting them on from the computer you may as well do it from there.

The battery lasting 4 hours should be fixable, what are you running?

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

i only got the thing yesterday, I have not been able to put anything on it because it says there is no memory so it shouldnt be running anything at all.

.I know about putting music on it via mass storage - but its nice to have an interface like I said its a bit of a step down

are you aware of any other media plays you can install?.....not that I could install it anyway

the biggest gripe I have is the memory issue, the whole memory is free and it says it cant install  anything becuase of lack of space yet I draged and dropped items into the file manager ok but that no good if the  app needs to be installed.

Is ovi beta any different to the OVI it downloaded when I first loaded it? becuae the OVI I have says that the way I have connected phone to the PC is not  compatible with OVI  - the phone only gives you the option of PC SUITE and MASS STORAGE  how can nokia release a product that is not compatible with its own software??

Please use plain text.
Professor

The Ovi suite is a major gripe amongst users, but yes, the beta version is fully compatible with the N900. It's beta because it's being tested by some of us, and then it will be a general release.

The media player i use is Mediabox from the app manager, and i also downloaded something to give extra codec support so now it plays practically everything. If you got it yesterday have you checked for updates? It got new firmware last week which you need to update to, so try that. Plug it into NSU and check for updates, or go to settings 'about' and it will tell you what firmware you're on. NSU will wipe your device, which *should* solve the problem of not being able to install anything. You can backup contacts and messages etc through 'backup' in the menu (save to memory card!), but media including photos aren't saved.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

It says it has Version 10.2010.19-1.203.1

is that good or bad?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
stewiethegreat

Looks like that's the newest version, congratulations!

I can't upgrade to it I don't know why.

Please use plain text.
Professor

Yes that's the latest version, which is good.

Do you have any apps installed at all?

If you go settings>memory, what is the last one?

Please use plain text.
Sage
InvinsibleSach

Hi Nills
1. you can not install application via PC Suite on N900.
the easy way is to go to apps manager- download.
but you need to add repository before doing that so you can get more apps. but while downloading apps from extras testing and devel can brick your phone.
the link for repositories and guide to add them is

http://thenokiablog.com/2009/10/27/maemo-extras-nokia-n900-applications/

or theres an another way. search your apps and open the browser on your phone and directly download on the phone.
there are plenty apps here.
regarding changing the details of the songs its easy.
follow the following.
Menu-file manager-N900-audioclips
open your desired file and hold it for 3 secs and the whole lot of options pop up where u can delete, rename,copy, move etc.
hopefully it helps you. if does hit the green star
Owned Nokia 5110, Nokia 8210, Nokia 8250, Nokia 6610, Nokia 6820, Nokia 9500, Nokia E50, Nokia 8800 , Nokia E71, Nokia N91 4 GB, Nokia N95, Nokia N95 8GB, Nokia N97, iPhone 3GS & finally Nokia N900,Nokia X6, Nokia E55, BB BOLD 9700, iphone 4, Nokia N8; BB Pearl 9100, HTC Legend, & Now Nokia N9. (N900 is the Best)
Please use plain text.
Advisor

It says 1.85gb

Please use plain text.
Professor

Ok so there is enough there. Have you installed anything and, if so, what? Sometimes apps can clog up the system if they haven't been optimised

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

I genuinly havent installed anything - however the guy above says that I cant install anything VIA PC Suite. so that could be it.

And if thats true so then Is it completely impossible to install apps/games  that I have downloaded to my PC?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
matthew_maude

invisibleSach is correct re pc suite but you will already have a few catalogs pre defined, the 1.85gb is the space you have allocated for apps the 20+gb makes no difference
for media transfers i either go in to the music folder on my pc and select all the files i want then right click and send to N900 or you can sync with windows media player which makes it easier to find songs with the search facility

©2012 DJ Matt

Please use plain text.
Professor

PC Suite isn't fully compatible, but you don't need it for apps. It isn't like Symbian in that respect.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

ok -

so lets say I want to download some games or something from a site like mobile9 how would you get it on to the n900?

matthew_maude wrote:
invisibleSach is correct re pc suite but you will already have a few catalogs pre defined, the 1.85gb is the space you have allocated for apps the 20+gb makes no difference
for media transfers i either go in to the music folder on my pc and select all the files i want then right click and send to N900 or you can sync with windows media player which makes it easier to find songs with the search facility

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
matthew_maude

if they are compatible they will download directly to the phone and you select 'open with app manager' when prompted,
if you want games i'd reccomend using emulators tho as there are very few games around for the N900

©2012 DJ Matt

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
wovens

Did you buy your phone second-hand? The reason I'm asking is that mine was second hand and it was not fully reset to factory settings when I received it and it also had files in the "hard disk" that were scanned by my computer as suspicios and quaranteened! So, be careful!

If it was a second hand device go hit the Applications Manager, then the uninstall button to see what is actually in there.

On mine the first owner had left also 5GB+ worth of videos in a language alien to me! I had to poke around to discover things but it is all fun to me! I am always learning something new. Home my brain is still alive when I hit 80.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

yeah it was brand new, thats why i am miffed.

I havent seen any dodgy videos on it :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Raubtier

@richwhite- kindly explain how it is possible to edit songname or artist in the interface. as far as i know this is only possible with mussorgsky..

Please use plain text.
Advisor

could someone also give me a few options of other media players to look into  and where I can find them - in a perfect world i'd like one with options to edit the EQ

Raubtier wrote:

@richwhite- kindly explain how it is possible to edit songname or artist in the interface. as far as i know this is only possible with mussorgsky..

Please use plain text.
Professor

Nope, it can be done natively. A lot of the times when you don't know what to do on the N900, do a long press. Tap the song or artist and hold it for a few seconds, a box will pop up. 'Edit' should be in there

Please use plain text.