Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

n9: random reboots

Advisor
tjsgls

n9: random reboots

Hi I own 64gb black n9 (3 days). During that time I experienced few random reboots, mostly while trying to click on any app icon. I had to flash it 3 times because sometimes my n9 didn't just reboot but ended in MALF state (Hail Aegis!). So I installed dev tools to debug a bit and I found a lot of "onenand_wait: correctable ECC error = 0x0100, addr1 0xa, addr8 0x0" in syslog. Besides that nothing suspiscious. I wonder now if it's hardware problem or just some software glich. Any idea?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
MattiasA

Re: n9: random reboots

I had like 40 reboots the two days I had mine. Have sent it for service for surley it must be hardware errors bacuse not even Nokia could release a phone that full of bugs

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

I can say that I have not had one single reboot on mine. I have had mine since saturday I think I have installed quite a few apps and used it heavily.

There might be a hardware issue with yours, but you could give the reset a shot if you just have flashed it with the full software package.

Anyway, shouldn't 3 days be short enough to get it replaced at the store as DOA?
Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Advisor
tjsgls

[ Edited ]

One reboot a day isn't a good enough reason to give my beauty out of my hands - it's just annoying. I want fully stable and reliable phone. Besides, shop is out of stock and I'm not interested in getting my money back. Now I tailed all syslog messages into MyDocs and I'm waiting for reboot to come. I'm curious what is the reason of this. I remember n900 situation time ago so I wonder how it's related.

@MattiasA: Next update of n9 has 3k+ fixes :smileywink: so I belive it has many software/driver issues.

PS: LOL even this forum has bugs, I had to post reply again :smileyvery-happy: "An Unexpected Error has occurred. Sorry, your request failed. A notification has been sent to the development team for investigation. Exception ID: 59F266E0 Please click the Back button on your browser. Return to my original page"

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hgjWestman

I've the same problem. My first reboot happend before I left the store, but I didn't think much of it then.
It's a nice phone but I don't like this problems, I feels like you can't trust it...

I had simular issues 2 years ago with a E75, it was sent to service 3 times and come back every time with a clean bill of health. The time it whent directly to Nokia it came back with a completly different laguagepack, but with the same issues...finally i managed to switch it for a demo E75 in the store and it never had any problems.

Based on this story I don't want to send it away either because I'm afraid they woun't find anything.
I saw a guy on a swedish forum (http://www.minhembio.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=284434&st=1100 (easycure1974)) that also had this problem with the N9, he sent it to service, and they didn't find anything.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
tjsgls

[ Edited ]

I'm not the only one with this problem ( http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=79576). Back in the day (n900 -> https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6334 ) we had few helpful people from nokia to help resolve similar issue.

But what can we do now? I'm not sure if I want to wait for next sofware update. That pesky watchdog kicking reboot for no reason is getting on my nerves. I can't event see dmesg because nokia decided to 'protect' system from user...

First 3 reboots made my n9 completely dead with 'Clear Black Screen Of Death [tm]'. I had to flash my n9 to recover from this state. I don't think many users have enough knowledge for this.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

You can't see dmesg?
Have you enabled developer mode? It'll install an xterm app and dmesg works straight out..

This isn't likely the most useful source of info.. its likely to be dsme or the power component of the phone..

This *really* reminds me of the watchdog problem with the N900, it was fixed in the 2nd public release about 2-3 months after the device launched in 2009.

I've just got a N9 64.. it's rebooted about 20 times in the 4 hours I've had it on.. and it has black-screen-of-deathed already

I'm going to have a play around with the dsme stuff and see if I can improve the reliability..

I had zero issues with my N900, but I've evidently been far less lucky.. It seems that lots of 64gb users are suffering problems (which makes me wonder if there is a power profile difference between the 16 and 64gb hardware)

I'm re-working my debug.sh script for Meego/Harmattan... Until PR1.1 is launched later this year (so I hear) I think we're going to be out of luck, less we find a tweak to work around the problem..

These reboots make the device unusable.. Anyone know if I can return an N9 to Nokia UK service centres? Isn't Nokia support in europe not limited to the origin country?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

i lwarned something about the n9 here in the USA about warranty.

apparently, there has been a change. i sent in feedback as an issue for not being able to install an app from ovi. they sent me an email and said they could not help me unless my device was purchased in the USA, however if it was purchased here, to send them the imei and would assist....and they did.

that is a far cry from how it used to be in the 9500 days.

maybe it will be the same in UK.

btw...good to see you. was thinking of sending you an email the other day to ask if you got one. i have the 64gb too as does lanbrown. ive had it reboot a few times the second day i had it, but after a reset, so far so good.
Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

i'm going to chase it up today.. does anyone else suffer such common app crashes.. contacts dies 3/5 (just tried) when clicking on any contact. the browser crashes whilst typing a url even thr xterm app died just now... ive had 4 reboots this morning.. problem i'm facing is wheter a fix in 1.1 will solve this, or is my device really broken...

will post findings when i can ssh in again!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
tjsgls

ah, just saw somewhere (I guess someone with n950) about dmesg and I didn't even check...ah, my bad.

Anyway, to get xterm you don't have to enable devel mode, few apps from ovi pulls xterm as dependency (nano,irssi,etc..)

If you find anything usefull about it, don't hestitate to share. Thanks.

As for me I think my n9 counts every reboot because I get no more no less 3 reboots a day, kinda odd.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kiwicelt

I've had an n9 64gb for all of a day and have experienced about 15 spontaneous reboots in that time for a wide range of tasks like app launching, view switching, list scrolling etc.

Love the hardware, love the software potential but the list of people filling up other forums with the same complaint makes me worry that this is not something that can be fixed solely through an update.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

[ Edited ]

I'm doing more digging..

Unlike Maemo 5, Harmattan is quite neatly tied down.. Lots of really useful stuff to do debugging is prohibited.. Darn it..

However,what I've found so far:

DAMN:

[ 4195.550537] HW Recovery dump generated at 1320282493052795
[ 4195.552551] Dumping 2 render state buffers
[ 4198.260192] SGX Hardware Recovery triggered (from SGXOSTimer)
[ 4198.260284] PID = 2400, process name = grob
[ 4198.260284] EVENT_STATUS =     0x20000000
[ 4198.260284] EVENT_STATUS2 =    0x00000008
[ 4198.260284] BIF_CTRL =         0x00000000
[ 4198.260314] BIF_INT_STAT =     0x00004004
[ 4198.260314] BIF_MEM_REQ_STAT = 0x00000000
[ 4198.260314] BIF_FAULT  =       0x00B44000
[ 4198.260314] CLKGATECTL =       0x00222220
[ 4198.260314] Last SGX microkernel status code: 0xad000038

each of the app crashes I've come across (crashes, not reboots) seems to be accompanied with somethign like this

This is a kernel error log, it is caused by, what seems to be, the graphics system.

Like Maemo, the N9 uses Xorg as the graphics software. This software talks to a graphics driver in the kernel that talks to the "graphics card" Problem with buggy hardware or buggy drivers (Especially graphics drivers) is that they ruin things for everyone!

Now, the question is, why are so many phones apparently unaffected? this can be very very slight manufacturing differences in the hardware.. It might be some tiny part of the CPU takes slightly longer to do something, or it might be slightly quicker and the driver assumes that all the hardware is identicle..

Now, it could be that this flaw can be worked around in software, Xorg or Kernel driver and it will increase the stability for everyone.. This would be good, but it means waiting for PR1.1 (assuming they've already got a fix planned)

The problem, however, could actually be faulty hardware.. like a failure in the graphics system memory that causes the gpu to behave unexpectidy, in a way the OS/kernel does not anticipate and cannot correct.. This would be defective hardware..

Problem is, there seem to be too many users with flawed devices.. So, Fingers crossed it'll be something that can be addresses in the driver.. More digging to do, I'm trying to find out what actually happens when an app dies.. Its proving to be slightly harder than anticipated..

Edits

The log reports that "grob" failed.. I believe grob is the web browser

The development tool sets that you can install from Settings -> Security -> Development mode are pretty awesome! Its really nice having some space and tools to poke around!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

And more..

It seems that something (possibly the GPU problem) is screwing around with kernel space..

The "ps" command is most commonly used to list the running processes on a system (like windows' Task Manager)

It does this by reading files out of the /proc folder on the device.. This folder is virtual, the files inside are actually automagically tied to kernel data.. so, for example, /proc/123/cmd contains the command name for the process with number 123

Now, it seems my phone cannot read from a certain process in /proc, this should NEVER happen.. its a kernel bug.. and again it could be a driver or it could be hardware, either way, this kind of thing explains why so many apps are so unreliable...

RM696-34-1_PR_001:/proc/1554# cat cmdline
HANGS

This should never ever happen.. bad bad bad
So, now anything on the phone that tries to check processes is going to hang.. and this will compound the problem..

Lots of problems under the hood here.. and they seem to be pointing to the GPU

I'm going to wrap up my debug.sh for Meego tool that I've been working on (would've been nice to have had an N950 to test it on some time ago but my project didn't make the cut.. boo nokia) and maybe we can gleen some more info from other faulty devices.. see if they all suggest the same stuff

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hgjWestman

Is it just (some of) the N9 64mb version that is affected by this problems, i havn't seen anyone write that they have a 16mb version with (these) issues? If so, is there any other diffrerences between they versions aside from the memorychip?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hgjWestman

BTW does anyone know if Nokia themselves are aware of the problems and do anything trying to solve them? Either by hardware or software...
Please use plain text.
Advisor
scepter

I have the exact same issues with mine (64GB), so I'm following this closely
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

scepter: Can you let me know which model you have? Pull the sim tray out and check the number on the back.. Does it end in J1V4? This would be the Austrian 64GB black model

I'm very keen to find out if everyone having this problem has an Austrian phone.. We can take this to Nokia to find out what went wrong

Anyone else having these problems, post back and let us know.. If your product code doesn't match, please send it to me in a personal message, as I don't think we can publish them on this site ( I have no idea why, but I believe it is against the forum rules)

The number is printed on the back of the sim card tray..
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

When you mention it, I get a bit unsure, but I don't think it's against the forum rules to post product codes as it isn't really personal information and does not hold any info that can bring us to you...

I mean, Skyee has posted tons of product codes. Which ones get the update etc...
Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Advisor
scepter

My phone is black and was bought in Sweden and the code ends with J187.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
MattiasA

I had a Swedish Black 64 GB and not an Austrian and had the exact same problem - random reboots all the time and had to reflash within our hour after I got it. But it didnt help, just kept on crashing and rebooting. Now I am waiting for getting my money back, this pos phone was for sure my last Nokia. Nokia once made great phones, N95, E71 and E90 and N8 but now they are dead. Really enjoyed the N9 the hours I used it but fed up with Nokia that they can release a device working this badly - it aint even beta quality on the software

Please use plain text.