Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: n900 does not charge or connect over USB

Advisor
Accepted Solution

n900 does not charge or connect over USB

Hi,

my N900 started to behave strangely few days ago. When connected to PC with USB cable, it says as usual that it is charging and after I choose Mass Storage mode it says USB connected. Well, those are all lies, I cannot connect to it and it also does not charge over USB. It does charge through wall adapter though so far. I have restarted it several times and removed battery but nothing helps. Any advise? Is my N900 USB port starting to die?

Please use plain text.
Professor
virajxx3006

did youve installed any new apps? if so remove them and try.

also try to connect using another PC
"You may loose faith on us.. But never in your selves! From here, the fight will be your own.."

_____________[Protect Transformers]_____________
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi, yes I have tried to connect n900 to 3 different PCs with no luck, I have used it previously with two of them often with no charging or connection problems. I have not installed any new applications for a long time. After latest restart N900 says not charging insufficient power when I connect it to any of USB ports on dock or laptop, it still says connected to USB but PC does not recognize the connection. 

Please use plain text.
Professor
virajxx3006

i think there is a prob with your usb cable.(not sure)

better to try a different cable..

anyway whats your firmware version? is it PR 1.3?
if not upgrade it PR1.3
(use nokia software updater)

i hope its not a hardware prob in N900.(Coz some devices got a huge prob with their micro usb port...)
"You may loose faith on us.. But never in your selves! From here, the fight will be your own.."

_____________[Protect Transformers]_____________
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
elie7

its probably a hardware problem, but since the phone is acting bad, its probably a software problem.
this could be caused by a theme, or an app or even a widget that you recently installed .
Reality is wrong....dreams are for real... 2pac .
don't forget to hit that green kudos :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

couple things here, and it could be any or all of them.

you said that you are connecting it to a usb port on a laptop. sometimes if the laptop is low on power or not pluged in, the ampage to the usb is minimized to help offset battery drainage.

if it is a pc, it may be an older or dying usb port. be sure you are trying a usb2.0 port to ensure that it is sending enough power. usb ports are stuck at a low amp rate, which i cannot remember off the top of my head right now and am too lazy to search it for you, and this could be the reason that you are still able to charge with the travel charger.

check to see if you have installed any connection type applications. ie-advanced connection manager, bthid, bluemaemo, etc. some of those, especially the first one listed here, will make an absolute mess of your device and are for developers only. you may as well try to uninstall all of the connection applications and if that doesnt work, reflash your device.

your cable could be faulty or "cheap"

i try to use the nokia cable as much as possible, while i believe that all cables should be made the same are reletively are, there are differences in how some carry data or amprage.

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I have tried both original nokia cable and cheap alternative, the result is the same. Firmvare is PR1.3

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Laptop is docked and dock is powered all the time. I removed Bluemaemo but it made no difference. I will try to reflash it as soon as I have time. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: n900 does not charge or connect over USB - I hope it is not the dreaded USB port problem

What you are describing is very similar to what I experienced just before the micro USB port came undone from the device.  I recommend you test the cable with other devices to rule out damage.  Are you able to recharge the device using the electrical outlet power adaptor?  If not, that would be more evidence you are having a hardware problem.  You could examine the micro USB port for damage or looseness.  Good luck.

Please use plain text.
beastmaster

Did you find out what was causing your problem?

If so, how did you fix it?

Cause I'm experiencing the exact same thing with mine...

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Well, as a matter of fact, I did get the thing working again.. After few months I decided to reflash my n900 and if it would have not helped, send it to repair. I removed the SIM card and inserted it to other phone and then tried to connect n900 with the USB cable with my computer again.. it connected fine and started charging for my suprise. So I put SIM card back in and it has worked since with no problems.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
andreasole

[ Edited ]
Hello everybody. My pc at home is windows vista and after one year i can not flash my phone and i uninstall the drivers the pc suite and ovi suite many times now but nothing until now,before was fine. So this one year i was flashing my phone from my work , the pc there is windows xp until today was the last time couse after the flash i reconnect my phone and i get nothing ,even a light,no message ,nothing. Thanks. I forgot something. When i am trying to flash it is stopp at the 'usb suittable device not found..waiting '. Something like this
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rogees

reflash ur phone on a mac with 770 flasher.

Please use plain text.