Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

nokia n900 and windows 7

Counsellor
akrama
Accepted Solution

nokia n900 and windows 7

can we flash nokia n900 using windows 7 ? if yes can any body confirmed they used windows for flash this  device, also if yes how will be possible plz

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
elie7

Re: nokia n900 and windows 7

flashing works great on windows7 - 32 bits, my last 5 reflashes were on a w7-32 bits pc.

but the problem is with windows7-64 bits, flashing always have problems with 64 bits computers, but there is a couple of tricks to help u out with it .

so are you on a windows7 64 bits pc ?

and step by step instructtons are found in ceroberts's top 12 maemo fixes, make sure you download the pr1.3 files .

Reality is wrong....dreams are for real... 2pac .
don't forget to hit that green kudos :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
akrama

yes you are 101% correct. i am using windows 7 64bit, sony vaio laptop.. thats why when i click flasher and type on black screen...............-R  nothing happen plz can you explain how i sort this out,,,thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

[ Edited ]

@akrama

nothing but problems getting to work on the 64bit pc. i use my booklet 3g to do my flashing as it is a 32bit machine.

personally, i would just find another machine that is 32bit and borrow it for 20 minutes...this includes the time to download and install all requirements and the flashing!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Issues with 64 bit Windows and Workarounds
According to this post, Windows driver signing can cause problems. You either need to turn on the loading of unsigned drivers or boot your computer to whole another OS. There are a few workarounds:

[edit] Option 1
Disabling signed driver detection is done by choosing the option "Boot without checking for signed drivers" (or something similar) in the Windows boot-menu. To display the boot-menu press the "F8" key as soon as the Windows boot process starts (i.e. after the BIOS has loaded, and after GRUB or other non-Windows bootloaders have passed).

[edit] Option 2
Alternatively you can permanently disable driver checking via command line in Windows 7. Instructions. (Non-maemo.org site).

[edit] Option 3
You can use Microsoft Virtual PC - Also known as XP Mode.
Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions of Windows 7 come with Windows XP mode, but must be downloaded and installed before use.

Connect your N900 in flasher mode; Hold u on the device keyboard, then connect the USB cable.
Wait for Windows to install the appropriate drivers.
Start Microsoft Virtual PC / Windows XP mode/
Allow the Virtual PC to have access to your N900: (On the top bar): USB > Nokia N900 (Update mode) (Attach). (If it doesn't say (update mode), you didn't enter update mode correctly by pressing "u". Remove the cable and try again.)
Wait for Windows to install the appropriate drivers.
When it is finished, proceed with the normal flashing steps above.

There have been numerous reports on the forums of people trying to flash the rootfs/FIASCO and eMMC with Windows 7 64 bit XP Mode/Virtual PC, where the rootfs/FIASCO image flashed just fine, but the eMMC image stays at "no suitable device found. Waiting". If you need to flash the eMMC as well, move onto option 4.

[edit] Option 4
An alternative approach is to use an Ubuntu LiveCD or a Persistant USB installation. This way, you are essentially using Ubuntu without installing it directly on your hard drive. Have ready maemo_flasher-3.5_2.5.2.2_i386.deb, which is the Debian Linux equivalent of a setup/installation file, the firmware files you need, and optionally, this page, if you don't have access to an internet connection on the LiveCD/USB.

After booting into your LiveCD/USB, follow the instructions from the Linux section of this page.

[edit] Option 5
Install other version of update drivers. Step by step instructions can be found at talk.maemo.org

http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_firmware

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@elie7

thanks for the plug. ive been laying low for a while. busy at the house for the last few weeks. hope your "pick-up" device is helping you "pick-up" for the season! :smileywink:

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
elie7

ceroberts75 wrote:

@elie7

thanks for the plug. ive been laying low for a while. busy at the house for the last few weeks. hope your "pick-up" device is helping you "pick-up" for the season! :smileywink:

yes its helping me great for the season :smileyvery-happy:

Reality is wrong....dreams are for real... 2pac .
don't forget to hit that green kudos :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Professor
theking2

you will need the proper USB driver. Find the instructions at http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=849980&postcount=20

Please use plain text.