Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: touch screen sound

Advisor
Accepted Solution

touch screen sound

i just got my nokia N900 i love it . but when i touch screen i heard some sound "tik tik" how do i disable that?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

settings -> Personalisation -> Profiles -> scroll down -> Touch screen tones -> off -> save

no more click click

Please use plain text.
Advisor

thanks for yor help ... its fixed . no tik tik .. lol
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I'm still getting it :smileysad:

Settings=>Profiles=>Touch screen sounds   (Off)

Save

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Have you tried rebooting the device? Sounds a bit basic, but the settings should really take affect immediately..

If it is still misbehaving, there are some "registry" settings to look at.. The N900, like windows, has a sort of registry where some settings can be altered and prodded.. It might be worth checking there if you still have problems after a reboot

Please use plain text.
Contributor

All good now!

Seems that there might have been a delay in the setting taking affect? Not sure if that makes sense or not, but am happy now!

Thanks for your help!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I do not see that option in my unit. Why?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

cpitchford wrote:

Have you tried rebooting the device? Sounds a bit basic, but the settings should really take affect immediately..

If it is still misbehaving, there are some "registry" settings to look at.. The N900, like windows, has a sort of registry where some settings can be altered and prodded.

Just to make this clear...Maemo is Linux and Linux almost never needs a reboot for anything - instaling/removing apps, configuration changes, etc.  That said, sometimes logging out as a user is required.  But since there is no such thing as logging out of a N900, a reboot has to effectively do the same function as a logoff.  So for the N900 a reboot is sometimes good advice though usually not with desktop Linux.

However, there is no such thing as a Windows-type registry in Linux at all.  Which is one of the very best things about Linux 'cause the Win registry is a nightmare.  In Linux everything is set in configuration files, most of which are in simple text.  This is a huge advantage for Linux.

Registered Linux user #266531. N900 addict.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

crashdamage wrote:

cpitchford wrote:

If it is still misbehaving, there are some "registry" settings to look at.. The N900, like windows, has a sort of registry where some settings can be altered and prodded.

Just to make this clear...Maemo is Linux and Linux almost never needs a reboot for anything - instaling/removing apps, configuration changes, etc.  That said, sometimes logging out as a user is required.  But since there is no such thing as logging out of a N900, a reboot has to effectively do the same function as a logoff.  So for the N900 a reboot is sometimes good advice though usually not with desktop Linux.

Though things that are monitoring gconf settings (such as the software responsible for screen clicks) can sometimes get itself in a not and miss the broadcast when the setting change occurs.. this is a bug.. and the safest way to have it re-acknowlege the setting change is to restart that software.. which is easiest achieved using a reboot.. I'm sure a certain process could be killed and respawned as part of the gnome session, but that seems a pain.. We're not talking kernel stuff here.. reboot for eases sake

However, there is no such thing as a Windows-type registry in Linux at all.  Which is one of the very best things about Linux 'cause the Win registry is a nightmare.  In Linux everything is set in configuration files, most of which are in simple text.  This is a huge advantage for Linux.

Really? Not like the gconf repository which works in a very similar hierachical structure to the windows registry?  Where practically all gnome-esque settings are stored? That's what I was refering to. It isn't a linux specific item, more a gnome item.. The nearest thing to a registry for "linux" might be /proc.. but that's a different story.

The gconf registry is extremely important. The fact software can monitor (via broadcast) for changes in nodes and keys within the settings tree.. thereby reacting to setting changes as they happen.. The fact it is transactional and has clearer schema and defaults in gconf is good where as its lack of policy enforcement and network visibility is a bit dated. Much better than flat file.

Still, that's why I said "registry" not registry.. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

@cpitchford...

I don't really disagree with what you say.  But I guess I'm kinda old school - if a service needs a stop/start, that's what I do instead of rebooting.  I just never reboot for much of anything except kernel updates.  Besides, a running system can sometimes tell you more if there's a problem than trouble when rebooting (a then non-running one).  IOW, I'd rather troubleshoot a running system than figure out why it didn't boot properly. 

But you're certainly right a reboot is the easy way for most people, especially on a phone.  I'm guilty of rebooting my N900 once or twice since I got it to 'straighten it out' myself.  When I wrote that I suppose I was thinking from a desktop Linux point of view, not a pocket Linux computer point of view.  Maemo blurs the lines between the two that way more than any other mobile OS.

We could argue a long time over how much gconf or anything else in Linux resembles the Win registry.  Other users certainly have.  We can agree that "It (gconf) isn't a linux specific item, more a gnome item."  We might disagree that "The nearest thing to a registry for "linux" might be /proc.. but that's a different story."  Well, it is another story.  I would argue that though /proc is closest thing in Linux to the Win registry, yes, it's not really a registry in the Windows sense at all.

But all this is way off-topic for here and not a debate I really have an interest in anyway.  Suffice it to say we agree somewhat and disagree somewhat.   :-)

Registered Linux user #266531. N900 addict.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Please don't misread my simplistic approach to trouble shooting the N900 as a lack of extensive knowledge of how unix systems work!

We might disagree with some points, but fact it.. rebooting is the easiest way to restart a UI component that is no longer monitoring or reacting to changes of relevant settings inside gconf.. and "Linux" does have a registry if Linux is Linux + Gnome.. which to be fair is not something that was explictly stated one way or the other.. but from the point of view of the N900, the "registry" is extremely important for most things UI

:smileywink:

Please use plain text.