Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: yahoo messenger on n900

Contributor
noonecantread

Re: yahoo messanger on n900

fk knoz m8. I just press sing in button and isnt doing anything. Its just stays so. Like blocked. skyoe works fine, msn Pecan is ok, gtalk the same. Only that damn YM dont work. Forget it. Thanks 4 ur time. Nice screenees btw.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
claudinejr

[ Edited ]

tnx:smileyhappy: worked for me, follow the screenshots and entered the said command:smileyhappy:

"Can  you try this test.. Open an x terminal and enter this command

getent hosts scsa.msg.yahoo.com"

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
hidetoshi18

I have followed your pics instruction, and it works for my YM!

thanks a lot

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
n900cp

hi noonecantread. i cannot sign in to my ym as well. just happened today. did you find a solution? please help me if you can. thanks
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
aristos

I have exactly the same problem:

-- I enter usr and pwd.

-- Advances settings are: 5050, filetransfer.msg.yahoo.com, 80, us, UTF-8, not-selected, not-selected

-- I hit "Sign In"

>>> nothing happens, it just stays there, without the ability to hit the "Sign In" button anymore, but I can still edit the usr/pwd fields and click on "Advanced Settings".

If I do:

~ $ getent hosts filetransfer.msg.yahoo.com

I get:

98.136.112.30   rdis.msg.a01.yahoodns.net filetransfer.msg.yahoo.com rest-img.msg.yahoo.com

and if I do:

~ $ getent hosts scsa.msg.yahoo.com

I get:

98.136.48.140   vcs0.msg.g03.yahoodns.net scsa.msg.yahoo.com

98.136.48.100   vcs0.msg.g03.yahoodns.net scsa.msg.yahoo.com

98.136.48.119   vcs0.msg.g03.yahoodns.net scsa.msg.yahoo.com

98.136.48.72     vcs0.msg.g03.yahoodns.net scsa.msg.yahoo.com

98.136.48.80     vcs0.msg.g03.yahoodns.net scsa.msg.yahoo.com

98.136.48.74     vcs0.msg.g03.yahoodns.net scsa.msg.yahoo.com

98.136.48.102   vcs0.msg.g03.yahoodns.net scsa.msg.yahoo.com

98.136.48.77     vcs0.msg.g03.yahoodns.net scsa.msg.yahoo.com

Anyone? Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
shamit_thakur

Yeah you are right about installing the pigdin prior to using the YM. But my prob is a lil different. I had downloaded the requisite pigdin.. and was able  to use YM properly for a long time. But lately it just wouldnt log in n kept giving the error.."Network error". Tried everythng n failed. So deleted the accnt..n tried recreating it. But no joy there... hvnt been even able to log in since then! :smileysad: It just says "Not signed in". HELP!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
noonecantread

Yes, i solved the problem. I`m in Canada now and is working. Till now i was in Romania and didnt work.  Country`s fault :-P

Ps. Im not joking :-)

Please use plain text.
RockYourSocks

I have been reading these forums for MONTHS NOW. I live in Washington DC, in the USA, and my yahoo has not been working for months. It was working fine before, and then it just stopped working, my msn and skype, and google and aim work just fine, but my yahoo just doesn't sign in at all, I even used a different account, and even tried a bogus account and it simply doesn't do anything, I push sign in and nothing happens. someone please help!

I don't have extra-devel catalogue, and pidgins is installed, and i get the same things show up when i type those same messages in xterminal.

every month i would check this forum in hopes someone found an answer but still nothing.

is the whole US of A having this issue, but Canada is in compliance? i work in in the state of Virginia, hang out in Washington DC (the capitol), and I live in the state of Maryland. Now thats 3 major spot where NOTHING about my yahoo msg is working.

Please use plain text.
Sage
virajx3006

update your firmware to PR 1.3(Use nokia software updater)

then enable testing apps using these links,

http://my-maemo.com/download/repos/extras.install

http://my-maemo.com/download/repos/extras-testing.install

http://my-maemo.com/download/repos/extras-devel.install

then install rootsh

open xterminal,type,,

sudo gainroot
apt-get install account-plugin-haze
apt-get install pidgin
apt-get install telepathy-extras
apt-get clean

It will install pidgin client and also more items for your IM.

try to log on to yahoo using them.

=)
Click the star if this helps you (",)

If this is your answer, please do not forget to click "Accept as solution" (",)
Please use plain text.
RockYourSocks

i thought that they send automatic updates, i don;t think i got the firmware 1.3, is the nokia updater an app i need to download
Please use plain text.
Sage
virajx3006

yep, you have to download it.

http://europe.nokia.com/support/download-software/device-software-update

Backup your stuff to a PC.(DO NOT BACKUP SETTINGS).

You will have to install apps again after this.

(And yeah, nokia sends automatic updates.But its good to update with NSU.)

Anyway before updating, check your firmware version.Go to "settings" and tap "about"

Newest version - V20.2010.36-2
Click the star if this helps you (",)

If this is your answer, please do not forget to click "Accept as solution" (",)
Please use plain text.
BrownKnight

im living in USA. i got the same problem which started a month ago. I can still sign in with ym last november but i cant now. i did install pidgin but it didnt help. Is there any solution yet?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
msaalli

When I had the same problem, I had to install the latest plugin from extras-devel before it finally got working. Read it from maemo.org website. Hope it's helpful.

Please use plain text.
BrownKnight

if u talk about Pidgin Protocols Plugin For Conversations And Contacts V0.7 yes i got that. i have uninstalled and installed pidgin and its plugin but still i cant sign in. it says "not signed in". are you from the US? i might be thinking that its just happening in the USA. because ive read threads that its working in europe, canada.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
danzel

ata

Please use plain text.
Tbank

But i can't find the Maemo Extra-Devel on my N900.. Can i try it on Maemo.org

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

My Yahoo account works now!! Yiieepppiieeehh!!!

I had the problems, the others had. It was suggested to be a geographic issue. I am from Germany and could not connect to Yahoo, now I can. This suggests to me, it is *not* a geographic issue.

What did I do?

First, I have added the extras-devel repository. Then I have updated Pidgin and the Pidgin protocol addons. It was said, Pidgin itself is not necessary only the protocol extension, but I did install it. I then added my Yahoo account to Pidgin. But, I want to use Yahoo with the internal messaging of the N900. So I went to the settings page and added my Yahoo account there. Et voila.... it worked!!!

So, I would suggest for those where Yahoo does not connect: get Pidgin *and* the Pidgin protocol extension from extras-devel, plus install the Pidgin notification plugin to see the Pidgin status in the system bar of the N900.

Just don't give up, update or install Pidgin, the protocol extension, remove and add your Yahoo account again.

I can't describe the exact things I did, I can only say it works now. So i might work for you too.

Malte

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

So this isn't using the integrated IM support, so the IM messages don't appear in the conversations app?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

cpitchford wrote:
So this isn't using the integrated IM support, so the IM messages don't appear in the conversations app?

Well, actually it works now with the N900 integration. I see my Yahoo contacts in the contacts and I do not need to run Pidgin in the background. When someone starts a talk with me, I see a little popup in the system bar on the top.

As I said, I played around, updated both Pidgin and the protocol extensions and it connected to Yahoo finally....

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Do the messages appear in the conversations app?
Please use plain text.