Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

6500 Slide - WAP / GPRS Connection

6500 Slide - WAP / GPRS Connection

Hi,

I am after some help, as the 6500 slide is not listed in the support pages?

I am on O2 & have a problem using the pre-installed Opera Mini browser on the phone. I can use the generic browser known as "web" & it connect perfectly, but I like Opera Mini for it's compression capabilities & had it on my N73.

The problem - Opera Mini will not connect to the net, so I removed it from the phone & downloaded it again from the Opera website. Still the same problem:

When I open the program it says "Allow Network to access this application? This application is not from a trusted supplier" So, I select Yes.
An Information box comes up "Web Setting GPRS"
It then starts installing, and during the process the "Allow Network to access...." comes up about 3 or 4 times, so I select yes every time.

When it finally reaches the end of the installation, every time it says "Error" "Failed to connect to the internet, go to Operamini.com/help or contact your service provider with internet settings"

Any help would be appreciated. Just to rectify, I have full 3G service when I am trying this & I can connect via the generic browser..
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
android

Re: 6500 Slide - WAP / GPRS Connection

Most likely its trying to connect via WIFI! When you try to connect does it prompt for an access point? It should ask(GPRS, 3G, or WIFI access point defined in your phone)), unless there's one define as default.

Knowledge not shared is knowledge wasted!

If you find it helpfull, it's not hard to click the STAR..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

The 6500 slide doesn't have wifi!

I had this problem on O2. You have to delete O2's web settings (the wap and mms settings are ok) and get them resent to the phone.

Use this link and select web or mobile internet settings. If your phone isn't listed then select the 6300 or 7500.

https://nokiags.wdsglobal.com/standard?siteLanguageId=118
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Did this work for you, I have sent myself the 3 settings but I cannot access Opera Mini.

any ideas?
Please use plain text.

Yes - finally got it working after ring O2 technical support and setting up a personal access point using WEB settings & entering the APN into it, then setting that as default. Sometimes it doesn't connect even with full service, but most of the time it does, don't understand that bit though?
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi,
I have same problem as you. I cannt connect with opera mini.
Could you please write here which settings did you use, please? Cheers
Please use plain text.
Contributor

HELP ! ! WAP / GPRS Connection

Step bu step instructions on how to do it would be most useful!!

Can anybody help?
Please use plain text.

I only know the settings for O2 as that's what network I am on:

Start - Settings - Configuration - Default Config. sett. (this needs to be on "O2 WEB". If you don't have that setting you'll have to ask O2 to send it to you.

Activ. def. in all apps. - Make sure you activate the default

Preferred access pt. - this is the important bit, you'll need to set up a new access point up under the personal config. sett. The account name doesn't matter call it what you want, but under the access point settings the data bearer needs to be "Packet Data". Under Bearer settings: Packet data acc. pt = mobile.o2.co.uk / Network type = IPv4 / Authentication = Normal / User name = o2web / password = password. Now the important bit, when you can see the new access point under "Personal accounts" make sure you activate it under options.

You should now be able to use Opera. If you are on other networks, you'll obviously need their settings, so you may have to contact them. Also, these instructions are for the 6500 slide & other phones may have slightly different menus.

Thanks
Matt
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Tried it with my O2 network and now works.

Tops !!!
Please use plain text.
Contributor

It's not working on my phone. I don't understand why :smileysad:((
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi, I asked O2 for that setting 'O2 WEB' and they sent me MMS settings. Could ho write here step by step instructions on how to set it up? Thank you
Please use plain text.
Professor

Refer to http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4222200 for your WAP/GPRS settings
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I tried those settings. It's not working with those settings and also with settings from O2
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi,
thanks for this. It worked perfectly, although I didn't need to get the "02 WEB" settings. It also works with the "O2 WAP GPRS" settings.

Jim
Please use plain text.
Advisor

markho5, did you ever get this to work? Mine is having the same problems - I hold the zero key down for 3 seconds, and the o2 "Web" app starts up no problem with today's fresh content, so the connection in there.

But opera mini v4, just sails through and fails to connect - never seems to initiate a Grps/edge connection, just 2 seconds of scroll start across the bottom and fail.

I have the same settings as described above ie (I get them from the phone now, o2 UK):

Menu, Settings, Configuration:
Default config. sett:
Personal config
Activ. def. in all apps:
Yes
Preferred access pt.
[empty]
Connect to support:
[Service provider not found. Blah...]
Personal config. sett. {select}

Personal accounts
O2 WEB {select}

Account name:
O2 WEB
Homepage:
http://wap.o2.co.uk
Username:
o2web
Password:
password
Use pref. access pt.
No
Access point settings {select}

Proxy:
Enabled
Proxy address:
Proxy port:
Data Bearer:
Packet data
Bearer settings {select}

Packet data acc. pt:
mobile.o2.co.uk
Network type:
IPv4
Authentication type:
Normal
Username:
o2web
Password:
password

Any ideas what is wrong for opera mini v4 not to even attempt to open a G or E connection?

Thanks
Jimbo
Please use plain text.

6500 built in web browser problem

Hello there,
Recently i purchased a Nokia 6500 slide phone. Everything is fine with the phone. But one problem I cant solve. I tried to download Yahoo go for my phone with its built in browser. But it returns "File format unknown" message. As Yahoo go can not be downloaded by any third party browser like Opere mini i had use built in browser. I tried by updating phone's firmware. Is there any solution??
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

i too have nokia 6500s..but with loop mobile operator can u post the settings for loop mobile wap/bpl wap..i too have problem while connecting through opera...help plzzz
Please use plain text.

so sorry, but my English language not very well...

so I will help you all I can:

Menu> Setting> Configuration> Personal config. sett> (option)> Add new> chose (Access point)>

Account name : as u like

Access point settings : go to bearer settings> u well see packet data acc. pt. : your country Access point, I think

mobile.o2.co.uk...

I think too u need to put your user name & password ( your country )
when u doing this settings...  go to Menu> Setting> Configuration> Preferred access pt.> and chose your new Access point

This method works 100% and tested by me

Please use plain text.
FRIMICH

Can some one please help me ? My N73 cant download from the internet and cant also use the inbuilt browser Web,please help me to solve this my headach.
Please use plain text.
FRIMICH

Am MICHAEL, Can some one please help me ? My N73 cant download from the internet and cant also use the inbuilt browser Web,please help me to solve this my headach.
Please use plain text.