Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Automaic capitalization when typing a message is i...

Advisor
Oje1
Accepted Solution

Automaic capitalization when typing a message is incorrect

I have a C6-01.  When I type a message and end a sentence, the phone automatically shifts to uppercase after only one space.  I have always been taught that there are two spaces after a sentence ends and another begins.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Iris9290

Re: Automaic capitalization when typing a message is incorrect

Hi Oje1,

When ending a sentence with full stop, a capital letter will appear after one space by default. You can add another space if you prefer to do this, in this case you will have to press the white arrow key to get a capital letter to start your new sentence. In potrait mode this key is located in the right bottom corner on the #-key, when you type in landscape mode this key is located in the left bottom corner.

Hope this clears things up.

Iris9290

If my post has helped you in any way, please accept it as a solution or click on the white star, so that other users will be able to benefit from it too.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Oje1

Yes. I do this. I just think the default capitalization should occur after two spaces are entered.Thanks for the quick reply.
Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

Like you I was taught the same but that was many, many years ago before PCs came along. But one space after the full stop is well established modern usage and has been for a long time (I can only speak for use in a couple of languages though, the practice in others may be different).

In the past with monospaced fonts such as were found on typewriters where all letters are the same width (e.g. an "i" and an "m" were the same width) an extra space was needed to give always a clear visual break for reading so use of two spaces were the standard usage.

With the arrival of proportional fonts (e.g. an "i" and an "m" are different widths) only one space is needed for a clear visual break and this is modern usage.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Oje1

You are absolutely right cataholic. Check out this website:`http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/marks/period.htm. Yes, I was taught many, many years ago. As you can see "you can't teach an old dog new tricks".
Please use plain text.