Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

E71 - How do I use both GPRS AND WiFi connections ...

Counsellor

E71 - How do I use both GPRS AND WiFi connections with Nokia Messaging?

Hey,

I've had my E71 a week and a half and have got most things tweaked.

My Nokia Messaging stopped working for a few days and has just started again - but I have a slight issue with it.

I want to use my WiFi connection to sync my hotmail when I am in my house, but GPRS when I'm out.

My GPRS connection is pretty bad inside, so neither is suitable as an option at all times.

My MacBook has the best solution - a simple list of known connections. Any connection available that I have placed higher on the list automatically takes over, so you always have the best connection.

I could set 'default' as the connection, but I don't really know what this means?

I've had to set all my other applications such as Opera to 'ask each time'.

This seems to be a very unnecessary and badly-considered compromise on the efficiency of what is meant to be a business device.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Alex

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: E71 - How do I use both GPRS AND WiFi connections with Nokia Messaging?

As far as I know this was possible only in E61 / E61i. It used to allow grouping of several different connections be it GPRS or WiFi and assigning this group to an application. I used to configure E61 in hierardy like  HomeWiFi -> OfficeWiFi -> GPRS. But it never worked seamlessly when moving from one zone to another. Maybe this is the reason why they scrapped from E71. Like you, I have every application in 'Always Ask' mode.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hmm.

'Always Ask' is not a great solution, but at least it works.

But for autosync on Nokia messaging, not even this option is available! I have the choice of two connections, neither of which are always going to work, and the setting 'default'.

Can anyone tell me how 'default' works? And don't just tell me it uses my default connection - I don't know where this is on my phone.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Administrator (Retired)

The "Default" access point within the Nokia Messaging client is the access point that you used to download/install the Nokia Messaging client.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Yes alexjholland. In few applications we can't even set to 'Always Ask' mode like pre-installed Search and World Mate.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

This is fundamentally stupid.

Please use plain text.
Employee

Have you tried to use a connection manager? For example, there is a connection manager called SmartConnect which can be downloaded to your device. This connection manager, could be used to automatically connect

to a pre-defined Wi-Fi networks or the fastest available network without the need to manually change the connection.

This softwared can be downloaded from your device. Please follow the below steps.  

Select Menu

Select Download

Search SmartConnect

Here is another connection manager

http://shop.psiloc.com/en/Application,262325,Psiloc+Connect

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I have a similar issue with my E71x. I use my office wifi, while I am at work and home wifi while at home. Automatic push in nokia messaging does not work well if connection is set to default in settings, because it prompts you to choose the default wifi net work, everytime it tries to connect. Mail for Exchange works seamlessly as it is able to switch between wifi's which are registered. Is there a way around to make nokia messaging work seamlessly, right now it is a manual sync for me unless i go to connection and change the access point whenever I switch locations between office and home.
Please use plain text.