Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Information from Nokia about a sync error with Mai...

Advisor

Re: Information from Nokia about a sync error with Mail for Exchange and an Exchange 2007 server

Hello xionax,

the "push mail" delivery is instant, the dynamic heart-beat interval is just a refresh period for MfE application to keep the connection alive.

With the "push mail", delivery is really instant = few seconds.

On my phone, the e-mail on device is delivered even faster than on my desktop Outlook client.

Regartds, Rumacjs_tr

Please use plain text.
Contributor
huifang90

Re: Information from Nokia about a sync error with Mail for Exchange and an Exchange 2007 server

hey, may i ask what about N86? because i couldnt find the phone model at the websites provided. @_@ im noob at these stuffs >_<
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf, the photographs, the desperate notes, peel your own image from the mirror. Sit. Feast on your life.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Rumcajs_tr,

Which reverse proxy you were using? We do have ISA2006 and that has set the value by default to 1800 (30 mins). In previous versions of ISA this has been the case as the KB 905013 shows. Sure we do have other network components/FW which could cause this.

Also on the IIS is timeout (120 s) but I assume that is take cared by enabling "keep alive".

--

Petri

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hey ,

Noted the vaious dialogue.

I have an E52 brand new, cant get the Microsoft Exchange Email to work , not sure why.

I followed the set-email wizard and it completed OK , but its not working , by this I mean that its not syncing to the exchange mail or calender etc. Its not complaining that its not working but its clearly not. I have setup also an email account with my private email account AOL and this is working fine.

So in breif , I know the SIM is GPRS enabled , and I can swap it to another HTC phone and its syncing with our company server no problem. I have talked around the various points with our IT department and all the terms requested during the email setup are correct.

email "my company email" 

mailbox "none"

user name " login name"

password " password"

server name "company"

domain "mail.company.co.uk"

access point "internet"

secure conn "no"

Can you help me ?

Simon

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

After giving up on version  2.9.158  (E71),  I uninstalled and reinstalled version 2.7.

It has been working fine for the last 30 hours.

Hope it stayes this way or I will go back to version 2.5.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

What Is OVI?

I would like to know,how i could transfer all my messages into my PC

I have 104 messages in Inbox

and I have 4 Folders

first folder contains  1680 messages

2nd folder contains  21 messages

3rd folder contains  1882 messages

4rd folder contains  1297 messages

sent item contains 120 messages

please let me know it

because when i tried to open it with nokia PC suite,PC Suite Shows no messages on my device
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Four months after I posted in this thread, there has not been any update in MFE and problem still persisits. Majority of MFE installation must be in E71 as this has been grand success. Looking at how there has been no uproar about this issue, we can conclude that very few people actually use pushmail in E71.

I am wondering if anyone has tried gmail activesync with MFE.

Going to try it and will let you know what happens with 'Always On' mode

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=147951

Please use plain text.

hello everyone,

i have just gone from windows mobile based phone htc touch pro to the nokia e63.

i am attempting to configure mf4 exchange but at not getting any where.

i have entered in the following details.

username: domain\username

exchange server : mail.companyname.com.au/exchange

SSL authetication is set to yes.

i am constantly recieving the error message System Error Please try again later.

i also try to install the cer that i have setup for mobile users and my nokia will just open the file as a text. i have exported the file from iis der compatible. i have also tried to use roadsync and still issues there to.

if someone can please help me that would be great i have serval nokia e63 at present with this issue.

my mfe is 2.09.158

i am running sbs2003 server with exchange 2003.

Please use plain text.
Professor

[ Edited ]

Hello and Welcome.

To be clear, on the credentials tab you enter

Username

Password

Domain

3 seperate boxes, do not user the domain\username notation.

Plus on the server name it should be myexchange.mydomain.com do not add /exchange at the end.

Give that a go.

Good luck

Message Edited by john32 on 06-Oct-2009 03:03 PM
John32
Please use plain text.

Hi John32,

thanks for the fast reply.

oh i thought the i needed use our owa path.

i will try this and see if that works.

Please use plain text.

sorry to double post.

but john32 those settings did not work still the same issue.

system error please try again later.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hi All

After much trouble shooting I have been able to get my E71 syncing.  I had the same issue with everything but Calendar syncing ok, I found that be removing any attachments in my Calendar entries I was able to get, and keep, a completed sync.

Good luck. 

Please use plain text.

Same here

I did make the test with my e71 and the one of a colleague.

Config tested

MfE 2.5, 2.7 and 2.9.158 with both rom 200 and 300

I have an other device WM htc synched on the server using the same credentials i.e. user/password/domain and a user certificate to get through the ISA 2006. You would have guessed ActiveSync works like a breeze.

my data connexion is proxyless and I keep having system error try again later.

Log gives me with 2.9 an error 36 and ping error although I got a login information request 3 times which apparently leads nowhere (btw my user certificate is now transferred to device certificates to help the process).

Any clues ???

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi Manu. Are you able to browse OWA (https://your.exchange.com/owa) using default Nokia browser? If it pops up to accept certificate, then you have not installed certificate properly and MfE will not work. What I have found is - though MfE gives a popup asking whether you want to accept certificate for one time or permanently, whichever option you choose, it will not connect to the server. Once certificate is properly installed in mobile, MfE should work. And you can verifiy this by browsing OWA and it will not prompt for any certificates.
Please use plain text.

Well I did give a try to the owa and it did fail the same way (3 trials) and connection expired.

However my pushmail server (reachable from net through ISA) is not the same one as my webmail (owa) server (not directly accessible from the  net, SSO first).

On the other hand you are right I might have badly installed the certificate.

Whate I did is :

- generate a user cert using the certsrv and exported with full path (rootCAs included) and private key

- transferred to the e71 and launched

- installed in user certif with a password for cert storage then transferred to device certificates to avoid selecting certficate and typing the "vault password"

- installed as well the CA with usage against internet, validation and VPN

any advice, hints or tips for me to take this to the next level ( a working pushmail )

Please use plain text.

by the way, using about the same setup actually works not only with WM6 devices but also iPhones.

I only struggle with symbian devices (only tested on e71 so far).

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I have a problem configuring my Nokia 9300 with my official mail as well as Yahoo mail.

a) which version of Mail for Exchange will work on Nokia 9300.

b) Where can i download it from

c) Do i need mail for Exchange even for configuring yahoo mail.

d) What are the steps to configure Yahoo mail

Need help on this asap

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

Mail for Exchange is available from www.businesssoftware@nokia.com, but I'm afraid there is no version for the S80 platform on which the 9300 is based.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Hi Manu,

Is Exchange server using SSL certificate that is purchased from known parties like VeriSign, Thawte etc or in house certificate server generated certificate? If it is the former case, I don't think you need to install any certificate.

If it is the latter case, let me try to explain how it works. For example, lets say

Server A (SA) = Certificate Server

Server B (SB) = Exchange Server

and lets take for assumption SB has used SSL Certificate issued by SA.

Now when E71 connects to SB, it doesn't know SA is a trusted authority. So, root certificate of SA needs to be installed in E71 (not the client certificate that you generated using http://.../certsrv

You can generate root certificate of SA by running "mmc" from Start -> Run. A dialog will open and you can do following things-

File -> Add/Remove Snap-in -> Add -> Certificates -> Add -> Computer Account -> Next -> Local Computer -> Finish -> Close -> Ok.

Now in the main window, expand following location and -

Certificates (Local Computer) -> Certificates -> Personal -> Certificates (or)

Certificates (Local Computer) -> Certificates -> Trusted Root Certification Authorities -> Certificates

find certificate that is self generated and signed and usually same name as server SA. Right click it and export to .cer file. Move this file to E71 and install it.

This is how I have been doing with my Exchange Server, Certificate Server and E71.

Edited: you must run "mmc" on the SA itself. Or you can run on any other client PC that has SA's root already installed. I once had issues with E61i and mail2web.com services. E61i came with newer Verisign root certificates preinstalled but not the older ones and it was not connecting. I had to download older Verisign root certificates from versign's website and install in the E61i.

Message Edited by willstay on 24-Oct-2009 01:49 PM
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

[ Edited ]

[quote]

Hi all!

Today, I have great news for everybody.

We finally got the MfE 2.9.158 working without the connection failure issue!

Let me describe, what is the problem. It is a combination of Exchange settings and firewall settings.

For better understanding what is "heartbeat" and how the adaptive heartbeat setting is working, it is necessary to read this article: „How Microsoft Exchange Direct Push technology works“  - (http://searchexchange.techtarget.com/generic/0,,sid43_gci1268252,00.html)

The important parameters are HeartbeatMin and HeartbeatMax - using these, the Exchange admin can set the minimum heartbeat interval and maximum heartbeat interval. By default (after initial install of Exchange server) the HeartbeatMin is set to 480sec (8min) and HeartbeatMax is set to 1680sec (28min). Another setting is the HeartbeatDefault, which is heartbeat initial setting which is also set to 480sec.

So a compatible device can't set the heartbeat lower or higher. And here comes the bug in MfE software - it doesn't respect the Min and Max settings and tries to set even lower heartbeats - 4minutes, or even 1 minute - and then, it reports MailForExchange Error in the log and switches to 15min periodic pooling instead of always-on mode.

As we also tested the RoadSync application - the RoadSync will not lower the Heartbeat belowe the HeartbeatMin setting - it means not below 8 minutes.

The issue in M4E needs to be corrected by Nokia.

However, with our exchange admins, we were looking for the answer, why the connection is dropped after approximatelly 5 minutes (300 seconds)? It was the same on GPRS, 3G or Wifi, so it had nothing to do with wireless carrier operators.

During the weekend, our admin chcecked the firewalls settings and found, that on the Exchnage reverse proxy firewall, there was a 5minutes timeout - so when there was no data transfer on open connection for 5 minutes, the firewall closed the connection.

So they changed the timeout to 25minutes - and it started working !!!

The MfE heartbeat (visible in logs) increased automatically to 25minutes and it is  now fluctuating between 23-27 minutes (as there is 25minute timeout on the firewall's proxy).

Suddenly, the Mail for Exchange is not going offline and is working (it is working now for 8 hours...)

So as you can see from what is written here, there is deffinitely a bug in the nokia Mail For Exchange, but the bug appears only when you have not compatible setting of your HeartbeatMin parameter (8minutes by default) and firewall timeout parameter (5minutes in our case). If you set the exchange and/or your network correctly, you will avoid this bug - I suspect that this hasn't been tested by Nokia as they probably didn¨t come across this configuration.

I Hope that this will heal other users and I will deffinitely report this bug via Nokia Care to Mail for Exchange development team. There are also other bugs which should be corrected (see this post about incorrect field mappings  /discussions/board/message?board.id=messaging&thread.id=15598), but the isue with "unable to connect. retrying" is on of the most serious.

Enjoy you MfE working and keep the fingers crossed for Nokia MfE team to submit a new release soon!

Regards, Rumcajs_tr

[/quote]

I can confirm this solution. For ISA 2004 users heres the kb associated: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B905013&x=13&y=2

Message Edited by lukesk on 05-Nov-2009 05:27 PM
Please use plain text.