Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Message Tone doesnt ring!!

Contributor

Message Tone doesnt ring!!

I'm using a 5530 XM, latest firmware and my message tone just doesn't ring! I have 4500 messages in my inbox right nowand whenever i recieve a new message it comes into the inbox but the message tone doesn't ring. The settings in the profiles are correct, i've set the ringing tone and vibration for messages, but it still just doesn't ring or vibrate. Help is appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jcolby

Re: Message Tone doesn't ring!!

I have the same exact problem. No matter what I do there is NO tone when I receive messages. Even after a factory reset. My phone also stopped notifying me when I get a text message. I have reset it to factory settings multiple times and everytime after a few hours it will just stop notifying of new messages.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Anybody?
Please use plain text.
Denny86

I'm experiencing the same problem with my Nokia 5800XM, except the messages and emails are received without any notifications.

The message IS received, yet

1. The message tone doesn't ring,

2. There is no notification on the display, and

3. The display light would not come on to show the message is received.

If you go to the "Inbox', you will notice an asterix indicating a message/s received

On most occassions, when you turn the phone off and then on again, the messages seem to come through as normal (the tone ringing and displaying that you have a new message), but this seems to be a temporary fix.

After a short period, the problem occurs again.

I've tried the methods that the other users have suggested:

1. "Soft reset" (*# 7780#)

2. "Hard reset/formatting the phone" (*#7370#)

...but none of these methods seem to fix the problem

I suspect the memory card my have something to do with it (I know, sounds strange because the messages are going to the phone, not the card.)

I've removed my memory card from the phone for the time being and the messages seem to be coming through the way they are supposed to (with message tone and display notifications)

I haven't tried inserting the card back in yet, but I will update this post when I find a solution to this annoying problem

I hope this helps those out there experiencing the same problem and PLEASE remember to backup the phone AND memory card data before resetting/formatting the phone

Please use plain text.
Contributor

That is completely my problem. I tried to take the memory card out of my phone and see if that solves the problem, but the problem persisted. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
moeito

i bought my 5530 few weeks ago, and there's no problem.

but started today, when the msg comes, there's no alert ringing either vibration, i only saw the notification light blinking.

for calls it's still as usual, alert ringing, vibration all got. but for msg no!

what should i do?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Sumitz

The problem is d number of messages...u gotta keep d number of messages in d inbox atleast below 2000...

If u hav more than tat,try deleting it...atleast some of them...

I had d same problem...it was rectified wen i did d same...  :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Denny86

I don't think its got to do with the number of messages in your inbox. I had less than 500 and it was giving me the problem already.

I don't know if this will help anyone whose still experiencing the same problems, but my problem seems to have dissappeared after I discontinued using the email application within the "Messages" applet. (I'm using the Nokia Messaging application from the SW Update)

Hope this helps :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
ryan_rogue

I have the same problem we i reach 3700 msgs however i delete msgs and the prob is fixed temporarily till i reach 3700 msgs again. I hope nokia comes out with a solution coz its gettin quite frustrating.

Please use plain text.
KeithNicholas

Re: Message Tone doesn't ring!!

I had the issue of very little notification that I have a msg.

- No tone

- No light

- No symbol on the home screen

There was a msg count on the screen-saver image but as the screen is not backlit while this is showing  it is next to useless.

I had to regularly check my inbox, where the msgs were "sneaking under the radar".

My phone is a 6720 Classic and I have had the problem since upgrading to symbian 031.022 in  November last year. (Don't worry, I haven't been suffering the whole time I have simply been using my old nokia handset, which has now died of old age)

When I restart the handset I could no longer send messages (they would stay in the outbox, retrying), a factory reset fixes this (worse) problem!

My solution, if it lasts is:

- Deleting the 3700+ msgs in my inbox

- restarting the phone with the on/off button (don't test at this stage I was sorely disappointed, see above)

- selecting the factory reset (for an automatic restart)

Give it a test. I've never been so happy to have an SMS conversation with myself!

Please use plain text.
techieSid

try this... it worked for me...

go to Messages > Settings >others .. change Memory in Use from Phone to Memory card or memory card to phone .... Check by Sending a message with Alert tone on .... 

If you dont want to change your memory Prefernece keep It or you can revret back to previous settings.. i.e.. Change back to phone memory (i keep it this way coz it keeps message travesal little fast)

this Trial worked for me.. have a try better than formatting

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
techieSid

just to add It worked for my nokia 5800 Express Music

Please use plain text.