Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 - E-Mail/Imap Setup Impossible

Professor
flagpole

well hotmail doesn't use IMAP and there are no folder options so i'm a little skeptical.

There's no dignity in begging for kudos. Do it for the karma.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
abhisbisht98

Hey..i could configure my Gmail and yahoo mails but had to delete them...now again when I try to configure them...i am getting the message "Service temporarily unavailable. Try it again later." despite uninterrupted internet service.

Please help.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
andreab11

I had the same problem and after some hours it did stop prompting that message and it did let me create the accounts. Weird and very bothering as most of the email experience on the N8.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
fishballs

Hi Mark,
I am having the same problem with setting up an email account on my N8. My date settings is correct - where do I find the country setting? Pls tell me how I should reboot my phone as well!!!
My enthusiasm for the N8 is waning...
Please use plain text.
Advisor
fishballs

OK it worked after all. It seems that we need a lot of patience with ovi. Anyway I did not have to change my settings and after the 100th time, I finally got the drop down list.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Scratch

So can anyone tell me how to get folders.

I get the mail selection list in setup, and con easily setup my sky mail accounts (basically gmail)and I can only see inbox, but I can send and receive, although I have no idea where any copies of what I send end up.

I can use the work aorund using other and a false email to get to the real settings and configure the imap.

What I cannot get is the folder list so that I see all the folders full of messages that I have filed and keep as they are important, and that I want to get to from my mobile.  The mail client in the 5800xpressmusic that I had before works brilliantly, lists folders, pulls mail on a schedule I set, pust the sent messages where I can find them, all works great.

Why is the mail client in the N8 such a backward step..

Is there a fix ? or a workaround so I can get my IMAP folders ?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Scratch

OK been having a fiddle and think I might have found this one out :smileyhappy:

I have essentially a gmail run account, but it is actually an @sky.com address so I use 'other' for setup.

If you configure your email account using the workaround with false email, or just using the standard messaging setup (both wored the same for me).

When the account is loaded, and you're looking at the inbox, if (when in landscape view), you tap the "@inbox" bit on the right, it brings up a list.  If you give it a few seconds, "folders" then pops up at the bottom of the list, if you tap this, it then brings up the imap folder list.

Yee haa :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Scratch

If you want to move mail around, simply press and hold on a message, a circle will appear animate, then a menu will pop up with move to folder type functionality on it

Please use plain text.
Sage
zopfan

Re: N8 - EMail problem SOLVED

Hey, I was having the same problems while configuring 3 email accounts: OVI, Yahoo, GMAIL on my N8.

Earlier they're working fine, but once when I changed those accounts' passwords on their websites, thru PC, I thought it wise to delete those mailboxes (they had perhaps stopped syncing) and recreate them.

But suddenly I couldn't recreate them. I tried all the things mentioned above. But finally I succeeded when someone mentioned that in the step (where I fill the mail and its password details) I've to 'decline' the agreement.

STRANGE, but it helped and I was able to create all the 3 email accounts.

Also, I think the initial steps can't be performed over wifi, perhaps packet data connection IS needed to configure the email accounts initially.

Wish#1: MP3 Tag Editor capable of editing ratings.
Wish#2: Android type Video player, highly efficient player capable of playing all formats.
Wish#3: Without Google Maps (and products), no gadget is worth keeping.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
mrkevin

please help me. I am unable to use the mail client to set up an email account! when i go to mail>define new mailbox>start it prompts 'preparing for setup'. It then loads for about 3.5hrs and promts me to enter email and password but after i press OK the only option available is mail for exchange.

Those who have solved this problem can you please assist me on how to go about it?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Dear Nokia users,

I have E7 and having problem setting up e-mails that are hosted by Yahoo mail server eventhough the e-mail domain IS NOT  "abc@yahoo.com".

If I select "Yahoo" in the mail configiuration, it will not work even if I enter correct e-mail address, correct password, and correct user name.

Problem: Nokia Messaging (push mail service of Nokia) not able to configure e-mail account with the correct mail address and password provided by user.

Solution (as described by Scratch as well) -- is to select "Other" in mail setup, enter a fake or incorrect e-mail address and fake/incorrect password, then it will display "Mail for Exchange and "POP/IMAP",  choose "POP/IMAP". It wil display a list of detail settings where you must enter the true/correct value -- mail address, usernmae, password, mailbox type, incoming mail server, incoming port number etc. .

Hope this helps.

Scratch wrote:

OK been having a fiddle and think I might have found this one out :smileyhappy:

I have essentially a gmail run account, but it is actually an @sky.com address so I use 'other' for setup.

If you configure your email account using the workaround with false email, or just using the standard messaging setup (both wored the same for me).

When the account is loaded, and you're looking at the inbox, if (when in landscape view), you tap the "@inbox" bit on the right, it brings up a list.  If you give it a few seconds, "folders" then pops up at the bottom of the list, if you tap this, it then brings up the imap folder list.

Yee haa :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mrkevin

the problem is not in yahoo because you dont even get an option to select from e.g yahoo,gmail,ovi. When you press start in the mail setup it gives you an email and password page which when you enter and press OK the next page has 'mail for exchange only'.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
abelardo

e7 hotmail issue

I will appreciate a hand on this issue

Hi, on my e7 when I received an email on my hotmail account (mail for exchange) and I forwarded it, the person who receive it, received a lot of characters and it`s hard to read it this way....I have check all of the settings but don`t see anything wrong

by the way, I had received the same mail through my gmail account and it is received fine.... All the content is the way it is supposed to be. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

It worked here! Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jayemtee

Thank you so much for this post.  I had tried for a week to get my email account to work.  My son found this posting and followed your instructions.  It works - I am now getting my emails.

thejoecarroll wrote:

After a great deal of frustration and many tries I've figured it out:

1. Select "Other" for the type of account

2. Give an invalid email address e.g. by dropping the top level domain i.e. foo@bar.com => foo@bar

3. You will then be allowed to choose what type of account it is, i.e. IMAP (I found that if I gave the correct email address in step 2, the only option I was offered was Exchange, which was not appropriate).

4. Configure your settings, making sure to correct the email address

5. When you are asked to accept the Ts&Cs you should now DENY them—instead of canceling your setup you should now be allowed to proceed without Nokia's servers interfering!

It's crazy that Nokia have made it so difficult/unintuitive to set up an email account that isn't hosted by one of the big providers. I support numerous small- to medium-sized businesses in Finland, where Nokia's handsets are still (though clearly not for long) the most popular smartphones, and all of them have email systems either hosted on their own servers or with a company like Nebula.fi that require nonstandard configurations. Their settings, which often included SSL certs that require exceptions and SMTP servers that don't use the same account and password to authenticate, are a nightmare to apply to Nokia's current email client software.

Please use plain text.

Thanks for this post, I have two gmail accounts but couldn't get one of them to install on my N8, eventually after re entering the password several times the advanced settings opened up and I was able to enter the settings as you described, question is, how do you get into a email account advanced settings on the N8 ? it was easy on ' anna' but everything seems hard to find on 'belle' ?
Please use plain text.
nshreenath

I have configured my corporate email using the direct IMAP configuration. However, I'm not able to see any emails in any of my IMAP folders. Only emails in inbox is getting downloaded. Anybody has this issue? Any solution or this? I never was able to get the mail application working in my N8 properly :-(
Please use plain text.
Sage
Henker

That's expected behavior on a N8 - do yourself a favor and buy profimail.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Why can't Nokia just fix the issue? It used to work for me until recently

I have been having a problem with syncing my hotmail folders since around 23 June this year. Have read several posts on here and tried the put an incorrect email and then change after procedure but still have no hotmail folders. I did before this date but as syncing was becoming an issue, I deleted the hotmail mailbox and did anoher one. Never got the accept/decline term message though. Any ideas to get my folders back?

Many thanks for any help and advice

Please use plain text.