Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Convert mp3s to m4a/aac using new Nokia Music ...

Registered Member

Convert mp3s to m4a/aac using new Nokia Music software

On the old Nokia Music software, there was an option to convert all transferred tracks to aac/m4a format. Now this option seems to only exist for ripped CDs. I would really like to convert my transferred tracks so that I have lots of room on my phone for music and still maintain quality. Does this option still exist anywhere? Is there some easy alternative?
Please use plain text.
Sage
loveuhateu

Re: Convert mp3s to m4a/aac using new Nokia Music software

You can get loads of mp3 to m4a converters. Just google in and you will get. Or you could also download OVI.
Mark my posts as helpful if anyone finds it! After all you will make us improve.
Thanks for kudos if you give!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
el_loco

Nokia music doesn't convert as this is not needed anymore. Memory prices have come down that re-encoding is not necessary to save space.

Remember that everytime you re-encode you loose quality. It's never wise to re-encode audio or video files if you can avoid it.

If you MUST then you need an audio encoder. As suggested there are a million an one different ones you can use.

640K Should be enough for everybody
El_Loco Nokia Video Blog
Please use plain text.
netdog63

Hi, not very happy with your suggestions. Of course it is possible to convert the files with whatever freeware. But it was easier when this function was still integrated in the suite. Regarding audio quality, my Nokia E71 is obviously no sound machine and the aac quality would be by far enough for this device. So why wasting space?
Please use plain text.
Sage
loveuhateu

So you can use earlier version of Nokia Music to transfer your music. Get in from finding it online.
Mark my posts as helpful if anyone finds it! After all you will make us improve.
Thanks for kudos if you give!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
el_loco

So why wasting space?

Sorry to reply with another question, but why waste time and quality re-encoding?

Anyways, the new Nokia Music doesn't convert, it only Rips from CD. The solution would be to find an audio encoder and encode the files. If you want to let Nokia know you are displeased, use the "Contact Us" link in the green bar at the top.

640K Should be enough for everybody
El_Loco Nokia Video Blog
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

loveuhateu wrote:
So you can use earlier version of Nokia Music to transfer your music. Get in from finding it online.

Actually, you can't get earlier versions of Music. The installation files for Nokia Music are just installers, when you run them they go off to the internet and install the latest version of the app.

The last version or to of standard PC Suite have come with Nokia Music built in instead of the old Music Manager, so perhaps that could be a way of getting a slightly older version, but right now I doubt that because the change is so recent.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

You're also wasting time by introducing another application in this flow, when you could of used only one applcation to do both conversion and management.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

This is complete bunk that the new Nokia Music Manager does not convert files.  I've got damn near 10,000 tracks all encoded with Windows Media Lossless files.  Nokia's phones do recognize this file type, and now I can't convert the files to a regular .wma or .mp3 or any other format to transfer to my phone.  Frustrating!!!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
buzz13

The real problem is that Ovi music is incompatible with Nokia phones (can't connect via Bluetooth, won't recognize N900 via USB etc.)

If you want to have your music automatically converted during transfer, you need to use PC-Suite (when you "upgrade" to Ovi, it removes the shortcuts to PC-Suite but the programs are still there) Once you have PC-Suite re-established, proceed as follows:

• Run PC-Suite & connect your phone
  • Open Settings > Settings... & select the <phone name> tab (far right)
  • click the folder icon at the right of Music location on <phone name> & wait for the directory tree to appear ( this can take some time depending on your phone model & memory card capacity)
  • select where you want to store the music
  • select the Audio Conversion tab & select the format & quality desired
  • click the green tick

Music can now be converted  while being transferred by dragging the music file(s) onto the phone image of PC-Suite. HOWEVER, note the following:

• Dependent on your storage structure, you need to change the target directory for each Artist / Album you transfer
  • After refreshing the Music Library (at least on my N95) the tracks added thus appear on an Unknown Album by an Unknown Artist & the details need to be edited

The question is whether this effort is worth the memory space saving ?

History:2110i, 5110, 6210, 6310i, 6111, N80, N95, N900, C5-03, Lumia 710, Lumia 920, N9

I guess I'll use DOS since nobody supports CP/M anymore...
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

If you have a small Memory Card then it's indeed worth it. I'm using LameXP + Nero AAC encoder to encode to HE-AAC 64kbps, rename to m4a, and then use Ovi Music to add album art and move it to the phone.

Please use plain text.

I had the same problem, dude. I just trashed the Ovi Player and downloaded Nokia PC Suite version 7.0.8.2 and a codec pack (I used K-Lite Codec Pack Basic, downloaded from http://www.codecguide.com/), then installed them in my PC. That's it!

I hope this helps. Good day! =D

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
singhaldipanshu

This option is not available anymore since nokia has improved the storage space trmendously, so although this conversion is practically not required, but what I myself do is, I have kept the nokia pc suite along with the ovi suite, so that I can transfer music in eAAc+ format.

However if you don;t intend to keep both the suite applications in your computer, then you can convert songs to good quality aac/m4a format and then tranfer them using the ovi suite !!

Please use plain text.