Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Large MP4 videos problem on Nokia X6 16Gb

Registered Member
ukbill

Large MP4 videos problem on Nokia X6 16Gb

I just bought an X6 to replace my N95. Previously I converted lots of my DVDs full movies to MP4 (using Handbrake) and they all ran great on my Nokia N95.

Really useful when stuck in airports!

So I was looking forward to the X6 with it's larger screen. I loaded some of my MP4s to it - but none play - the device simply refuses to play them. I checked the files aren't damaged - I can play them from the phone memory on my PC using the USB link.

A typical full movie I've converted comes out at around 700Mb.

What if anything am I doing wrong? I normally use the Handbrake presets which are suggested for the iPod.

Is there an alternative video player I can install on my X6?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
EcoSmart

The issue is not just with large MP4 files if you try using the Nokia provided Video podcasts eg. smartphones show. The podcast previews have a similar problem "Unable to play media clip".

I have also come accross "Unable to play sound or video clip. Try playing partially!" on iPhone viewable mp4s.

Does anyone know if there are any updates planed to the video player on x6 or a better viewer?

With the TV adapter and a small lcd screen fro car, I was hoping to keep the kids entertained with a number of films already encoded to mp4 (iphone format).

Strikes me that if iphone standard video files cannot be played on the x6 that this limits it appeal to those that might be wavering on a puchase of x6 or iphone.

Thanks for any help or news in advance.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

What if anything am I doing wrong? I normally use the Handbrake presets which are suggested for the iPod.

Is there an alternative video player I can install on my X6?

Have a look in the Video section .

Seems a problem with large files now on many updated devices .

You need to convert to a format that your phone will play now .

Smart Movie   may be worth a try as a video player  (Gangclub version )).

jje

Please use plain text.

i have the same problem, even with a small video podcast.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
EcoSmart

Tried Smart Movie, and still will not play but reveals that some of the problems may be due to RealPlayer not supporting AVC1 codec (ie. Apple's version of MPEG for iPhone).

So with iPhone dominance it looks like any podcasts specifically coded for the iPhone (and they are on the increase) means that the X6 at least misses out yet again.

My trusty old 6303 plays fine however so why on earth did Nokia introduce a less compatible video player for the X6 which is a much higher spec phone?

Nokia please help us loyal customers and sort out the compatibility issues. Please add the AVC1 codec in the next phone or Real player update. Please.

Any moderator or Nokia employee looking at this can we have a comment?

Many thanks

Tried Smart Movie, and still will not play but reveals that some of the problems may be due to RealPlayer not supporting AVC1 codec (ie. Apple's version of MPEG for iPhone).

So with iPhone dominance it looks like any podcasts specifically coded for the iPhone (and they are on the increase) means that the X6 at least misses out yet again.

My trusty old 6303 plays fine however so why on earth did Nokia introduce a less compatible video player for the X6 which is a much higher spec phone?

Nokia please help us loyal customers and sort out the compatibility issues. Please add the AVC1 codec in the next phone or Real player update. Please.

Many thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

Tried Smart Movie, and still will not play but reveals that some of the problems may be due to RealPlayer not supporting AVC1 codec (ie. Apple's version of MPEG for iPhone

Or Apple more likely refusing a license .

You need to contact Nokia  mods only  appear if you use a rude word Nokia use the forum to save getting ten million stupid posts a day and about 2 sensible posts .
Their looks to be a problem on the horizon as you have found    .
Apps  widgets etc are produced for the IPhone  and therefore to whatever restrictions apple apply in format etc   . Not for the iphone but it seems a lot of content producers web sites etc  only know about apple   and think smartphone = apple 100% of the market .

The latest firmware on many Nokias has I guess updated the core of Real Player and  iam certain RP not licensed to play Apples format now where it may have slipped through in the past    .

Does not affect me as one i refuse to use  apples products and any i do receive are translated into universal accepted format s.

Nokias   spell checker above = Ionians     .

jje

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

More likely that these are wrong conversions. mp4 is not an actual file format rather a file container.

iPhone mp4s are often mp4 containers with avi video and mp3 audio. the phone cannot play avi video, unlike n95 which often can have coreplayer and smartmovie pre-installed in some cases.

The X6 can play mp4 videos which contains mpeg4 video and aac audio. Use various converter software to convert the video to correct formats.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.

i solved this problem by using xilisoft video converter and setting the format to wmv for mobile phone with an audio bitrate of 128 and so far no probs.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Wayc00lio

I've just tried your suggestion kingyid and it didn't work for me.  I'll try MP4. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Wayc00lio

Just found this: -

http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/nokia-x6

I'm going to give this a go - should work, it's what it's designed for!!!!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
msknight5

I converted files using Nokias own PC suite or PC Studio ... I forget the name. It didn't come with the CD's that came with the phone, but it was easy enough to download from their web site and I just connect the phone in studio mode and drag files on to the phone icon in the studio software. It does the conversion and loads it on to the phone.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
msknight5

Yep - here it is, Nokia PC suite - http://www.nokia.co.uk/support/download-software/pc-suites/compatibility-and-download - I use it to convert long movies and it takes a while, but it works.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Spazpecker

I'm really regretting getting a Nokia X6.  My kids both have iPhones and getting movies on to their phones is so simple.  Very poor effort by Nokia, a bigscreen phone that can't play movies?  My advise to anyone would be to ditch Nokia and use what has become the industry standard iPhone.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

industry standard iPhone.

Its not industry satndard many of the formats are proprietery to Apple  .

Movies is a generic term for videos of which there are thousands of formats .

No phone will play the wrong format   and any phone is limited with the number of codecs it can play    .

Iphone does not play my video files either .

jje

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Spazpecker

perhaps a lose use of the term 'industry standard', i conceed

The fact is that there from a non technical user, iPod/iPhone is a whole heap easier to use; my kids can see movies on their iPhones and I can't on my X6.  So come on Nokia, get your finger out; the screen is big and clear yet the player you have provided is shoddy.

I'll take this all back if some one tells me of a free to use converter that gets me from DVD to X6.  So far i managed to create a 4 minute movie using the trouble shooting options  in Videora which played like a dream.  The full movie, however, comes up with the same old errors.

Is there anyway this can be fed back to Nokia?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

Is there anyway this can be fed back to Nokia?

Contact us button top of the screen .

But as I have multiple formats of movies I have to convert them to formats compatible with the varying players be it PC or standalone or DVD player   as none are compatible with a broad range of video types  part and parcel of the video world until they are supplied  as a standard .

Four converters are used in my case for varying videos .

part of the problem is knowing what exact format your phone will play  . It cannot play DVD as they are some 4-9gb in size .

jje

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Spazpecker

I have just spent a very frustrating 40 minutes on the phone to nokia support and still don't have either a solution or even an answer to why these files won't play.

Going to try ripping the DVD in to multiple files and converting these, I suspect it's the size of the file that is the issue but Nokia couldn't tell me one way or the other.  I'm not a happy bunny.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Wayc00lio

[ Edited ]

Ignore my last post above.  That software was useless.

Get Format Factory: http://www.formatoz.com

It works perfectly for me.  After having lots of problems trying to convert and play full length movies (which never worked!) I found this prog (after searching the forums for a while!!!).  You can set up your profile for MP4 conversion and it works every time.  It's free, takes about 30 - 40 mins to convert a very large movie file then just use mass transfer to put it into your My Movies folder.  It's a brilliant piece of kit :-)  Well worth it.  I hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Spazpecker

I'll give that one a go this evening and report back if it works for me too.

Please use plain text.