Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Music-> Ringtone Nokia Lumia 800

Registered Member
Andyjash
Accepted Solution

Music-> Ringtone Nokia Lumia 800

Hi,

I recently purchased a Nokia Lumia 800 but i cannot seem to figure out how to choose my own music which i have transfered from CDs to my phone as a ringtone, the only options i can see are the windows phone and nokia ones.

help please :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Puigchild

[ Edited ]

Hi Andyjash,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums!

Please follow these instructions to set your own track as a ringtone. Remember that the file cannot be more than 1 megabyte in size, 40 seconds in length and genre needs to be set as ringtone.

Let us know if this helps,

Puigchild

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Andyjash

Thanks for the reply.

That did help slightly but I'm still struggling to find a way to convert a song into a ringtone. The one I want to convert is too big. Are there any trusted programs which could assist?

Possibly any which are probably already installed on my laptop? Running a on w7 OS if that helps?

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Puigchild

There are a couple of options for you. You could use a dedicated MP3 trimmer application such as mpTrim or a full featured audio editor such as Audacity. There are also online services available such as mp3cut.net, but if you want more control I would recommend using one of the applications mentioned.

Hope this helps,

Puigchild

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Heku

Hi, I did exactly as instructed above - generated a ringtone on Audacity, under 1Mb and 39 seconds in length. Changed genre to ringtone on Zune and synced with my phone (Lumia 800) - still the tune does not appear in the ringtone list. Sync update however says it was successfully transferred over. Any suggestions?
Please use plain text.
snipple

Such a long way around a simple task that should be able to be done on your own handset..........i too have recently got a Lumia 800 after moving away from my HTC desire HD. I am really thinking twice now about renewing with another Nokia/Windows phone, such simple tasks like selecting a ringtone from our own music when the options are not even on the handset settings. I cant even link via bluetooth to my work Blackberry, does not recognize the handset, even connecting my music/media from my Lumia 800 to my work van via AUX 1 setting to enable me to play my music is impossible. The Lumia 800 will only connect the phone ( calls etc ) and not the media.   

Never had trouble at all with my Desire HD or work Blackberry connecting calls and media to my work van................................very frustrated and disapointed..............They should make you aware of restrictions prior to choosing a handset like this one.

Is it a Windows issue or a Nokia issue ??????

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
michaels

snipple wrote:

Is it a Windows issue or a Nokia issue ??????

This relates to the way Windows Phone handles music files, it differentiates between music and tones so that your music player does not pick up tones and vice versa. Consequently, only music files which have the genre set to 'ringtone' in the ID3 tag are visible in the tone settings.

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
brad44444

hi could you tell me what i have to put in the genre to have the file show up in the tones section for messaging

thanks brad

Please use plain text.
brad44444

vlc can cut the file and convert it for you

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your post and welcome.

Windows Phone supports custom ringtones, but no custom message or notification tones.

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
brad44444

thanks looks like a big mistake buying this phone talk about taking giant leeps backward
thanks again
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jlintula

Seriously! Not funny. A simple user-oriented task and one important way to customize your phone made almost impossible for not-so-tech-savvy users.

Hope you get this changed soon.

Please use plain text.
poshjock

Hi, I was interested in the assigning music as ringtones.  The problem I have is that when I open the zune programme, it works for a few seconds then I get a message saying it has stopped working and the programme closes down, can anyone help

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
cheyanne

I purchased the Nokia Lumia 8 phone 3 weeks ago and FRUSTRATED is putting it mildly 😠 I have talked to 5 techs between. Version and Nokia, and store techs, for HOURS on how to put music ringtones on my contacts, and NOBODY has the answer. 😣 Wish I was informed about this before I bought this piece of sh.t. I have tried about 10 different apps and ALL say "sorry".....not for this phone 😭
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
cheyanne

IF ANYONE HAS A SOLUTION TO DOWNLOAD"MUSIC" RINGTONES TO MY LUMIA 8........PLEASE, I'M BEGGING YOU TO HELP ME. I WISH VERIZON WOULD LET ME TRADE BACK TO MY DROID SMARTPHONE 😆
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
deep9

Please download software of musical ringtones and use....
Please use plain text.