Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

N8: How to transfer music to new microSd card

Sage
mikwag

N8: How to transfer music to new microSd card

Please only provide advice related to the N8 for this post, as I won't try things that are for other phones - thanks.

I recently got a Kingston 16GB Class 4 microSD (from a reputable source - not ebay - and yes it is a genuine 16GB microSD) for my N8 and want to transfer my music to it, to free up space for photos and video on the phone itself.  What I thought should be a simple process, thanks to Nokia, has turned out to be a non-trivial exercise.

I naively copied my MUSIC folder to the microSD (F), and then deleted the MUSIC folder on the E drive, and refreshed the library.  It went through the process of seemingly refreshing for ages, number of tracks clocking up, but then told me the music library was corrupt and showed nothing.

After playing for a while, I decided to reverse the process, put my music back on E and deleted the MUSIC folder from the F drive.  Refreshed library and I was back to square one (thankfully), and everything worked as before, but, of course, I still hadn't got my music across to the microSD.

Then I searched these forums and found loads of people had had the same problem.  It seems that, (as is often the case) the refresh of the library has bugs, and keeps old files somewhere on the device that should be deleted by the refresh process for it to work properly, but hang around causing problems (thanks Nokia - your software guys strike again)  Despite trying to find these 'private' folders, they do not appear to be anywhere on any drive on my N8 (and, yes, I did have show hidden files set)

So, simple question is, how can I successfully transfer my music to the microSD so that it just works?  Do i have to delete all 1400 tracks and reload them onto the F drive, and if I do this, will it sort the library problem.  Ideally I would appreciate a tried and tested method from someone who has actually DONE it, as I don't want to screw my N8.  Many thanks.

My current phone - Samsung Galaxy Note
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Re: N8: How to transfer music to new microSd card

[ Edited ]

Hi mikwag,

I recently did it this way, you can skip the early steps if the music is already on a PC. All my music is DRM free.

1. Connect phone to PC in Ovi suite mode then using windows explorer (or the systems default file manager if using mac or linux) copy all of the music to the computer.

2. Once copied delete the music from the phone (again using the computers file manager), disconnect it then refresh the library. It should now be empty. If it's not empty at this stage don't proceed.

3. Either connect the phone with the memory card inserted to a PC or use the card in a reader and copy the music from the PC to the card.

4. Disconnect then refresh the library and it should now be ok.

If not try again from the start but use mass storage mode instead of ovi suite mode. Be sure to "safely remove hardware" when using the N8 in mass storage mode.

If this doesn't help let me know and we'll try to troubleshoot it further. It may be a hidden file somewhere in the music folder causing the hassle.

Sage
mikwag

Thanks for reply, Psycho - will have time to try this tomorrow - will report back :smileyhappy:

maurodreamer

hi there! just a little doubt here as no reports were made...

Is it better to sync music files with ovi music or via mass storage?

with my N95 i allways used ovi music to transfer music to the phone.

Now with N8 as i got two separate destinations i have trouble selecting the memory card as my main destination for music files. With Ovi music it allways selects the mass storage as default but i don't want that, i want to be able to transfer music via Ovi music directly to the memory card but i can't seem to find any option within the program to do that.

I find that is faster to transfer music with Ovi music.

Any help would be apreciated, thanx

Sage
mikwag

psychomania wrote:

Hi mikwag,

I recently did it this way, you can skip the early steps if the music is already on a PC. All my music is DRM free.

1. Connect phone to PC in Ovi suite mode then using windows explorer (or the systems default file manager if using mac or linux) copy all of the music to the computer.

2. Once copied delete the music from the phone (again using the computers file manager), disconnect it then refresh the library. It should now be empty. If it's not empty at this stage don't proceed.

3. Either connect the phone with the memory card inserted to a PC or use the card in a reader and copy the music from the PC to the card.

4. Disconnect then refresh the library and it should now be ok.

If not try again from the start but use mass storage mode instead of ovi suite mode. Be sure to "safely remove hardware" when using the N8 in mass storage mode.

If this doesn't help let me know and we'll try to troubleshoot it further. It may be a hidden file somewhere in the music folder causing the hassle.

Hi Psycho - sorry it took me longer to reply than I said - been too busy to try.

Did steps 1 & 2 successfully, but don't have a capability to access the micro sd except via the phone.  So I transferred the music to the microsd via the PC connect.  It didn't work - endlessly 'searching for music and podcasts' - stopped this and got 'refreshing library' and finally killed this using 'open apps' and X.  I think I need to get a reader and then try your process again.  Really annoying that Ovi Suite doesn't just provide a 'Move music to microsd' option.  I can't be the only person who has this requirement ..... Oh and I am Windows 7 and there is no 'Safely remove hardware' available for the N8. I click on the normal icon, but the N8 is not listed as one of the drives I can safely remove, just my usb hard drive.  Nor can I do it by right-clicking on it.

I am still having problems downloading a CD I have bought from Ovi Store - already had the price credited to my account once, bought it again, but it still won't download.  Nokia really need to get their act together.

Registered Member
toni912

I have exactly the same problem with my Nokia 5800.

I have tried many ways to transfer music from the phone memory to my 8gb microSD card, and yet nothing works.

I now have no space on my phone memory and cannot store anything else.

There must be some method to do this.

Mobile Sensei
carman58

Can you not use file manager in the phone ? Hilight a folder, option, copy to folder. Copy files to F memory card, then delete original file !

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy: