Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8 : I would like support for "compilation" albums...

Counsellor
raph22fr
Accepted Solution

N8 : I would like support for "compilation" albums : show "Various" instead of first artist

Hi, I have found some topics about compilations ( like /t5/Music/Compilation-albums-in-Music-Player/m-p/312230#M8582 ) but haven't found a acceptable answer.

When in artists and album view, albums are sorted by artist and then by album name. This is relevant when you have only albums for a single artist.

When you have many compilations albums, they are sorted by the name of the fist artist in the album. Now, it's a pain to look for an album when you only know the album name. And also albums in the same collection (like multiples volumes) are not together.

If the player would put "Various artists" instead of first artist on multi-artist album, it will be really great. Is that possible ?

I wonder if Nokia techs read topics here. Someone know how to follow this suggestion to the devs ?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Employee
henkkah

Re: N8 : I would like support for "compilation" albums : show "Various" instead

Hi,

Thanks for feedback.

We are looking to improve this in the next version. We will most probably rely on "album artist" field instead of "artist" field on mp3tags in case of compilations.

BR

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
raph22fr

Thanks ! That's real good news.

Too bad, I have not this tag in my mp3 tagging software, (http://easytag.sourceforge.net/, I do not use Windows)

Now .... if you are to display track artists when we select an album, you'll have to use smaller font ... current one is a bit large !
Please use plain text.
Sage
GeminiPhoenix

Please use plain text.
Sage
GeminiPhoenix

The problem I find is that because Artists and Albums are merged, I am unable to search for a single artist if they appear on a compilation album.

Even if Nokia choose to use the Album Artist field for future updates, this may not solve the problem as Artists and Albums will sttill be merged, forcing you to search through an endless "Various Artists" list to find a specific artist

This is not the way it should be, and Nokia should return to the tried and tested former way of browsing via either Artist name or album name, and not have them merged together!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
heineoen

I hope you let me choose “Artist” insted of “Artist and Albums” in next FW :smileyhappy:

Now I have to change album when listening to my favorite bands.

N8 FW: 022.014 -- Please separate Artist & Albums!
N86 8MP FW: 30.009 -- We need a new FW on this phone!
E51 FW: 410.34.001
E70 FW: 2.0618.07.10 -- Why no v3 for my code?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
raph22fr

Yeah ... If, like me, you have many singles from one artist, the only solution is to make a playlist for each artist. A pain if you have 100+ artists !
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

As previously stated, it depends whether the "track artist" and "album artist" fields are used in the ID3 tags. As a temporary workaround until Nokia improve the player in the N8, you can edit the ID3 tags using Ovi Player, then retransfer the amended tracks to the phone.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
anthap0

As well as having album then artist, can you also, as suggested, have an album or artist only sort option? I've just spent 1/2hr trying to resend tracks to my phone thinking that they had not been done, only to find them under another artists name as the album was the same.

Please use plain text.
buddhi

what is current status ? this still not resloved even latest version as on 6th Feb 2012
Please use plain text.
Sage
GeminiPhoenix

How about you just make the music player function the same as it always used to with previous Symbian handsets, such as the N91, N82, N95, N96 etc... Nobody ever had any issues with those! Why was the format changed for Symbian^3?

Fifteen months we've been complaining about this - Why is it only now just being addressed?

I would actually prefer to just have the old S60 3rd Edition music player back - It functioned perfectly, plus there was also a user definable equaliser!

Please use plain text.