Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Music + on Windows 8

Contributor
bmclean93

Nokia Music + on Windows 8

I recently bought a subscription to Nokia Music+ on my Lumia 920. I went to try the service on my  PC, on the same account, but it says I havent purchased it. However, it works fine on my Lumia.

How do I get the service activated on my PC?

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
michaels

Re: Nokia Music + on Windows 8

Hi,

You might want to check that the regional settings are the same on your phone and your PC, this might affect the PC's ability to recognise your subscription.

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bmclean93

The regional settings on both devices are set to Canada. I've signed into both devices with the same account info, and I've tried signing out and back in again after a day, and still, the service is not being seen as 'purchased' or 'active' on my PC.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bmclean93

Still no service. I'll cancel my subscription I suppose, as nobody from Nokia seems to be able to help.

Please use plain text.
Kofl

Same problem for me.

On my Lumia 920 its working fine, also via web browser on http://music.nokia.com

My Windows 8 tablet pc shows no subscription - same region and location as on the Windows phone are set.

The tablet is german and the phone is set to englisch display language.

Has no one any other experience with it?

Thanks,

Thomas

Please use plain text.
Sage
SvenJ

Guess the first question at this point would be if the backend was prepared for Lumia (or whatever) owners with subscriptions trying to accces that subscription from the Win8 Store app?  Should it work? Surely it would be intended too, but is it ready?

MS has a similar issue with XBox Music regarding rights on the phones vs tablets. The Tablet being given free access, treats all tracks with DRM, even those you own and have in the cloud. Its a glitch being worked on. Maybe this is similar. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
SvenJ

I have 2 issues with the app at this point.

1) I have all my music on an SD card. You normally cannot add 'removable' media to the music library. A common work around is to mount the SD card as a folder on C:  You do this in computer management, disk management. The folders in the SD now show up under C:\SD.  Those folders on the SD card can now be assigned to media libraries like Music.  MSs Music app has no problem with this arrangement, seeing all my tracks. Nokia Music doesnt see a single one.

2) The features listed in the Store list a PlayTo capability, sending music to a DLNA capable device. I find no way to initiate that. What am I missing.

Help on these?

Please use plain text.
Kofl

Hi SvenJ,

thats true. But I also own the XBox Music abo and its working fine on both the phone and the tablet.

(although video is not working on the phone, but thats an known issue).

A final Nokia statement would be fine.

I think the Nokia Music app on Windows 8 did work long ago with the same subscription as for the phone till an app update. But I can't confirm for at 100%.

Please use plain text.
Sage
SvenJ

XBox music itself is working fine on the Tablet and Phone. What my problem is, tracks that I own, that have been uploaded to the cloud from my desktop, cannot be downloaded to the tablet. Says I don't have the rights. That same track can be copied over to the tablet via Wifi or some other method like flash drive, and plays fine. There are some little glitches like that. Just goes to show DRM causes more problems for generally honest folks than it does for thieves. It is way better than it used to be though.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bmclean93

[ Edited ]

Honestly this is quite sad. Not even one person from Nokia will look into this? What if I say please? :smileysad:

I just want what I paid for...

Even the "mixes" page on "http://music.nokia.com/ca/en/mixes" doesn't work for me. It just says "Nothing to see here. The page you are looking for isn't coming up." 

Nokia Support, why you no support.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Amithsiji

I am from India and it is still not showing in Windows Store here. I had to change the Region setting to get the App, but it wont give the full benefits if the region is set back to India. Because my subscription is working fine in Lumia 800, Nokia Music Player for desktop.... By the time Nokia officially release the app for India my subscription will end.

I think the same with Xbox Music, XBox features are still to reach in India....

Please use plain text.
Sage
SvenJ

@bmclean93  Read the disclaimer stuff at the top of the forums. This is a user to user forum, though 'some Nokia employees do read and participate'. It is not intended as a company trouble ticket system. They have Official Support options for that. Don't think they aren't working on this because no-one from Nokia has offerred, or provided a solution here. Generally employees are tied by their own policy in what they can and can't divulge here. I'd open a support incident. All you are likely to get here for this is, "yea, I see that too, hope they fix it".

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bmclean93

Well I didn't see that disclaimer, but I have submitted two support tickets, the second one being submitted a month after the first, and nobody has responded. The support page directs you here, so I assumed it was official support. Which is why I came to these forums hoping they might be able to help here. All I'm saying is a response of some sort would be nice. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
SvenJ

Its unfortunate that the support pages don't explain what this is when sending you here. you do often get good advice and workarounds from other users. No substitute for crowd sourced experience. Things like account issues are just beyond anyone here. Even Nokia employees couldnt handle it here. At most they could forward to a responsible party. Surprised the tickets have gone unanswered. I havent had the need to use Nokia's system, but at least you get an automated responce with an incident number or something, I would think.

Please use plain text.
Employee
tuttonp

bmclean93 - I'm sorry you cannot access Nokia Music + on your Phone and Windows 8 PC. Nokia Music for Windows 8 hasn't actually been launched in Canada yet (it isn't available via the Canada Microsoft Store). Nokia Music as a service has launched for Windows Phone 8 (both our standard Nokia Music Service and Nokia Music +) but not for Windows 8 yet. It will be available soon as we are completing final in-country testing at the moment.

I am assuming you changed your 'Region' in Windows 8 to access a different Microsoft store to download the app??

SvenJ - Play To is available within the app - Swipe out the Charm Bar and Choose 'Devices' - if the device you want to 'Play To' is Microsoft Certified and supports the media type you want to play it will appear as a valid device. If it isn't there then Microsoft may not be declaring it as a Certified Device

Please use plain text.
Sage
SvenJ

[ Edited ]

@tuttonp. Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. didnt think to look in devices. Seemed share made more sense, but devices could be reasonable.  Now if it would find my music on the SD card likw MS Music can, we'd be all set.

The other part of your reply does imply that if Nokia Music + for both Windows Phone and Windows 8 are available in your local, buying a subscription on one should be valid on both platforms. Is that correct?  I would assume you would need to use the same credentials on both platforms for it to recognize you. I'm a long time Zune subscriber, so I hadn't had a need to subscribe to Nokia Misic +, and sont know how that would work exactly. I'm sure that many would be interested in it though. It is a good looking service.

Please use plain text.
Employee
tuttonp

SvenJ - We are looking at your SD card issue (we saw it in your Microsoft Store review as well). Can you let us know which device you are using it on. We are somewhat restricted by what we can extract from the OS at a 3rd party developer level, so if MSFT restrict it we have to comply. The fact the only way you can get it to work with MS Music is by mounting the card as part of the root says it's not a straightforward user operation (i.e not something your average end user would do)

Br

Paul Tutton

Nokia Music - Windows 8 app Product Owner

Please use plain text.
Employee
tuttonp

To answer your 2nd Question

Yes - If Nokia Music + is available for both Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 you only need one subscription, you simply sign in using the same credentials (this currently only applies for NM+). In addition you can subcribe to Nokia Music + either through your phone or via the Windows 8 app

Please use plain text.
Kofl

@tuttonp Nokia music app disappeared from the Windows 8 App store on my tablet in Austria, region is set correctly. Do know something about it?

Thanks,

Thomas

Please use plain text.
Sage
SvenJ

[ Edited ]

Love the response, thank you. I happen to have tried it on a Surface RT, but I can try it on a Surface Pro, and an Asus VivoTab.  The restriction is you cannot add a directory on a removable drive to the Music library in File explorer. You can mount the SD card as a directory using disk manager. Rather than give it a disk letter, you assign it to a directory you have made on the "C:" drive. Then directories on the SD are fair game. That process is pretty well documented on-line. I believe Paul Thurrott detailed on his WinSupersite, a pretty popular blog. It was a big irritant as many Win8 tablets are storage challenged. MS touted the SD card as a mitigation, but their own programs couldn't see media on them, arguably the files that people want and take up the most room. MS really needs to fix that restriction on removable media and libraries. Until then, there is a work-around.

MS Music then can see all the music in whatever directories you have told the Music libraries in File Explorer to look in. 

Heading off to work, so may not have the opportunity to check back for a while. I think you can see my e-mail, so feel free to contact me directly if you want me to try stuff, and not clutter up the forum. 

Thanks

Please use plain text.