Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia n96 music player

Nokia n96 music player

Hi,

I've transferred music onto the mass storage using windows media player. They are all mp3 files that I used to have on my old n95, so I don't think there's any DRM issues. I can see (and play) the new music in file manager, put if I hit refresh library in the music player it sits there for ages saying refreshing and doesn't find any music. I left it overnight and it still found nothing by the morning. Does anyone have any ideas what's gone wrong? I've looked on here and can't seem to see anyone else who's having the same problem I don't think.

Thanks

Steve
Please use plain text.

Hi steve

i got the exact same problem, i sent mine back im still expecting it back.

Pretty poor for a new phone really to fail like this

Mike
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
el_loco

[ Edited ]
Where did you put the music?

You should put the music in Music or My Music

How many songs did you put in each subfolder?

You should try to put less than 1000 songs per folder (FAT32 performance issue)

When you say "forever" what do you mean?, if you loaded 1000 songs it can take 30 minutes to refresh the library or more.

DO NOT put the DATE separator to ":" if you do this then this problem will happen!!, select "/" as DATE sepparator

There may have been a corruption in the music library depending on how you deleted the songs, or if you didn't stop the mass storage mode properly when you disconnected the phone or if you shut down your phone while the library was being created.

IF this corruption has happened then you need to manually delete the music library.

Go to the Storage Drives and delete the following files: (Mass storage E, Memory Card F)

\private\101ffca9\harvesterdbvx_x.dat

\private\10281e17\[string]mpxvx_x.db

\private\10281e17\[string]pcvx_x.db

* TIP: Connect the device in USB mass storage mode, to locate the private folder from the PC.
* TIP: STRING and x_x will change depending on your phone.

Message Edited by el_loco on 15-Oct-2008 06:04 PM

640K Should be enough for everybody
El_Loco Nokia Video Blog
Please use plain text.

hello i have a similar problem with yours. i transfered music with 2 ways

1) i transfered them using music manager for pc suite by converting them and them transfered them

2) by selectin my music on my pc (mp3 format) and pasted them to the n96 memory card

when i go to my mobile at menu/music/musiv player i refresh, i find the musiv but when i click on them the mobile write me SYSTEM ERROR

CAN ANYONE HELP PLZ!!!!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
el_loco

Nokia Music Manager probably has corrupted the music player.

Do the following:

1) Don't use Nokia Music Manager anymore

2) In each Storage Drives: (Mass storage E, Memory Card F) rename the following files (or delete them)

\private\101ffca9\harvesterdbvx_x.dat

\private\10281e17\[string]mpxvx_x.db

\private\10281e17\[string]pcvx_x.db

* TIP: Connect the device in USB mass storage mode (File Transfer), to locate the private folder from the PC.
* TIP: STRING and x_x will change depending on your phone.

El_Loco Nokia Video Blog
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

im on my 2nd N96 in a week cos i had the same problem, i took guru's advice and changed my date seperator and it seems to be working now thank god! thank you!!!!
Please use plain text.

Re: Nokia n73 ultra mp3 player

why not work ultra mp3 player n73 music edition.please
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Have same problem with the music player. Have followed instructions and deleted the files. Date separator is "/". Also removed all my music other than the pre-installed music.
The player still hangs when searching for music. (Now been searching for 30 mins).
Help please. I've only had the phone for one day !!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Re my earlier post. Thought I'd give it one more try and it worked. Not quite sure why but I have my music back.
Thanks.
Please use plain text.

I was able to fix this by formatting mass memory (after all else, including reset, failed). I can now just drop songs into the 'music' folder in mass memory and they're found by the music library refresh (just like before). Hope you don't get to this stage, but at least it's a last resort. Don't forget to make a copy of everything before you format.

Also my phone seems to be much faster and smoother since doing this... but you'll have to reinstall your applications and replace your photos and videos etc.

=)
Please use plain text.

Re: Nokia n73 ultra mp3 player

please give me n73 work on ultra mp3 player.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
han_25

Yes, it's working and I able to reflash the music library and now without error.

By the way, can you introduct more about the function of those folder and I know it just like unix some how.

Thank you

Cheer

Han 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Before opting to reformat your phone, you could try my advice.

Just to be safe, make a backup of your phone first to avoid losing any personal data.

You could try to "fix" the file corruption that has happened to the storage media where your music is stored.

1. Connect the phone via USB (Mass Storage Mode)

2. Take note which drive your music is stored in your phone (D:\ or E:\ or F:\ etc)

3. Make sure you close all Windows Explorer windows (or any software accessing your phone's storage)

4. Open command prompt (in Windows XP: Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt)

5. On the command prompt window, type:

chkdsk F: /f

*Note: replace "F:" with the drive letter of the storage media where your music is located in your phone (refer to step 2)

6. Press the ENTER key to start checking your storage media for errors and automatically fixing them. If it asks:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process.  Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first.
ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)

Just type Y then press ENTER. The checking/fixing might take a while. You should be able to refresh your Music Library without any problems :smileyhappy:

Goodluck.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
han_25

Hi there,

To do the check command will it shorten the NAND RAM life cycle?

Regards

Thank you

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hello There.

I think the problem is in new update, because my music player "refreshing" was working before I update software on my nokia n96.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
el_loco

You don't need to run CHKDSK from the command prompt.

From windows explorer just right click on the drive then Properties then  Tools then Check Now then check the "Automatically fix file system errors" box.

That should do the same trick.

Although in my experience this doesn't do anything to resolve these corruptions.

El_Loco Nokia Video Blog
Please use plain text.
Advisor
maxmen

after I did this now i have no music in my library and it still wont refresh

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Crni73

Hi everyone!

I have the solution and I'll try to explain ...

My problem was that I couldn't refresh music library on my N96 - usually if I try this option, I have to restart the phone.

I changed the firmware to the latest (but I doubt that it was nessesary - leave for the end option).

I've installed the latest Ovi suite, and set folders to watch on my PC. I refreshed the library on the phone several times (I had to restart Ovi suite couple times) and the library on the PC.

Finaly I got the option when I right click on the song name "Transfer to phone", so I did that for all songs that didn't refresh on the phone.

I have created the playlist, added those songs to the playlist and transfered the playlist to the phone.

After all that, the library on the phone started to function normally - all songs were there, and I can do "Refresh library" on the phone without any errors.

My problem is that I can't sync contacts since firmware update - that's why I said to leave that option for the end. I' ve changed the language pack on the phone so I could get the latest firmware - maybe that is the reason why I have the problem, but that is for some other topic ...

Best regards to all!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
abestey_n

but my date separator is "/" only. And when i moved my songs in the new folder "music", it showed the files corrupted in music library. And it is showing the music files that i've deleted so far,and even it does not open the existing file,but it is playing all songs in file manager.
In music plaYer,neither i can play some files,nor am i able to delete them,coz it is showing 'system error'!
Please use plain text.