Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: HI

Mobile Visionary
steve_p

Re: Ovi music unlimited submission renew

[ Edited ]

gdaino wrote:

I completely agree with steve_p.

What is most disappointing is not Nokia's policy, but the "on the fly" change without warnings!!!

I've seen the extend button, I also proceeded to the payment page, and then though "OK, so it's possible, I'll do it later".... and the next time was gone... disappeared! What a shame!

Nokia should have let the possibility to extend the service for existing users, or at least post a message saying that the extend service would end in some day or week!!! Such an obvious thing.

I must say OVI music have some flaw, but it was slowly  getting better last months... but now I'm a little bit "burned".... I don't know if, after years of loyalty, i will buy another Nokia.

Giorgio

Thanks, I had a feeling I wasn't the only one who felt a bit cheated about how these changes were brought in, 'under the radar'.

ken80ny wrote:

To add salt to the wound, there is some news looming around on shut down of Ovi Music Unlimited service. The link shows notice on discontinuation of Ovi Music Unlimited in Finland. Can this be confirmed? Is this part of the "improvement" Ovi Music is planning for?

Yep, seems you are correct, another item from AAS about Ovi Music Unlimited being binned by Nokia:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/12486_Nokia_no_longer_Comes_With_Mus.php

S.

History: Motorola MR30, Nokia: 7110, 7650, N70, N80, N82, X6 (32GB), Samsung Galaxy SII

Current: Samsung Galaxy Note3 Black

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
steve_p

ken80ny wrote:

To add salt to the wound, there is some news looming around on shut down of Ovi Music Unlimited service. The link shows notice on discontinuation of Ovi Music Unlimited in Finland. Can this be confirmed? Is this part of the "improvement" Ovi Music is planning for?

Looks like this news is only now just breaking on most of the tech blog sites:

http://gizmodo.com/5735707/nokia-kills-off-ovi-music-service-you-didnt-know-existed
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/37959/nokia-scrap-comes-with-music
http://www.techdigest.tv/2011/01/nokia_call_time.html

S.

History: Motorola MR30, Nokia: 7110, 7650, N70, N80, N82, X6 (32GB), Samsung Galaxy SII

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I think this is a general problem of any cloud-based service: changing or removing a service means a totally different thing than stopping printing a newspaper. In the case of a newspaper and , the newspapers already printed just go through the logistics and continue to be bought and the those already bought will be property of the customers, and can be archived for perpetuity.

In case of a subsription-based news website, if the service is shut down, none of the customers any more have access to the archive they paid for.

Thus, I for myself buy music still only with physical media (CD's) that I can trust, and printed books instead of e-books - of some of which I have horrendous experience of fighting the DRM (not Nokia at all, but some crapware for Windows).

But, I am still stuck to buying applications to my phone (N97) from Ovi Store, and lost a paid software application with when the phone was subject to factory reset (agreed) in the Nokia service. The application could not be downloaded again from the Ovi Store, as the producer had withdrawn it from there...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
gdaino

Just to be clear and on-topic: OVI Music Unlimited is NOT a cloud based service, and we're not talking about DRM licence problems (I can still play the songs I downloaded last year, and I hope Nokia will honour the commitment to let me re-download licences if I should change my PC or hard reset my 5800).

We're talking about silently changing policy, removing the extend service without warning or notification of any kind, on the contrary, seemingly hoping that nobody would notice it.

Bye,

Giorgio

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

gdaino wrote:

Just to be clear and on-topic: OVI Music Unlimited is NOT a cloud based service, and we're not talking about DRM licence problems (I can still play the songs I downloaded last year, and I hope Nokia will honour the commitment to let me re-download licences if I should change my PC or hard reset my 5800).

OK about the semantics,  but still, we are talking about a service that resides in the internet and is not fully and physically at your own device/bookself (the music you had right or option to download before the policy change).

What comes into my mind is emma.fm, which was a music store in Finland in early 2000's. It was based on DRM which was checked by an internet service each time you moved the music from a device to another (to phone, to new computer). The service was expensive **bleep**, and due to unpopularity it was ramped down after two years, after which the "happy owners" of the music pieces so expensive were stuck to the devices they already had. Better need no computer upgrade since...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
gdaino

[ Edited ]

@steve_p, ken80ny
[OFF-TOPIC]
I must say that DRM removal IS an improvement, and maybe the Unlimited service is not (commercially) compatible with it. OR _maybe_ it's technically difficult to mantain two delivery services (one with DRM for Unlimitied, and one without for the others) on the same platform.
OR, simply stating, the Unlimited service was not profitable and its only pourpose was to attract user to the platform.
Anyway, all music subcription services had up and downs, I hope someone will succed eventually (Spotify, anyone?).

[OFF-TOPIC/]

Bye,

Giorgio

Please use plain text.
Employee
Andy_Sinclair

Hello,

There is a public annoucement with more detail here.

Regards

Andy

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
steve_p

Andy_Sinclair wrote:

Hello,

There is a public annoucement with more detail here.

Regards

Andy

Andy,

With all due respect mate that announcement should have been made loud and clear to everyone in NOVEMBER 2010 or earlier... Not as an after-thought on 17 January 2011 at 3:40pm when the service was cut off on 31 December 2010.

And that still doesn't explain why I could NOT extend my subscription when I tried around the 27 December  2010 a few days after my subscription expiry (21st Dec) and a few days before the 31st :smileymad: I'm still not happy!! :smileymad:

gdaino wrote:

@steve_p, ken80ny
[OFF-TOPIC]
I must say that DRM removal IS an improvement, and maybe the Unlimited service is not (commercially) compatible with it. OR _maybe_ it's technically difficult to mantain two delivery services (one with DRM for Unlimitied, and one without for the others) on the same platform.
OR, simply stating, the Unlimited service was not profitable and its only pourpose was to attract user to the platform.
Anyway, all music subcription services had up and downs, I hope someone will succed eventually (Spotify, anyone?).

[OFF-TOPIC/]

Bye,

Giorgio

Hi Giorgio,

Oh I agree 100% with you, I'm guessing that Nokia was losing money on a DRM'ed unlimited service. I certainly hope that DRM will die the death so to speak. What 'grills my cheese' is the way Nokia has gone about withdrawing this service and the chance to extend subscriptions.

S.

Please use plain text.
Sage
ken80ny

Agreed Steve, they can do it more graciously, with much respect and honour to the subscribers! Rather than letting the rumours spin. It puts them in a bad light.
was: 3310--> N80 v5.0719.0.2--> N82 v31.0.016; now: 5800xm v40
KeN82Ny
Please use plain text.
Contributor
zafrulhassan11

HI

Hi,

I've trying to get ovi music unlimited for my nokia x6 16GB but for some reason, and I don't know how to get it, can anyone tell me how to get ovi music unlimited edition for my nokia x6?

thanks

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Drakenryder

Rather not get a nokia. This unlimited music was just a scam to get us to buy a nokia phone with its aging symbian software.

I have emailed virtually everyone in the nokia hierarchy, and all they can say is sorry we cannot help you......

Go for a galaxy or any android powered phone.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
steve_p

Drakenryder wrote:

Rather not get a nokia. This unlimited music was just a scam to get us to buy a nokia phone with its aging symbian software.

I have emailed virtually everyone in the nokia hierarchy, and all they can say is sorry we cannot help you......

Go for a galaxy or any android powered phone.

Agreed!

S.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
prames

I have Nokia 510 lumiya.but now I can't renew Nokia music unlimited.shows voucher number problem.how I will get this number??
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
vasudha1234567

have Nokia 510 lumiya.but now I can't renew Nokia music unlimited.shows voucher number problem.how I will get this number??
Please use plain text.