Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Symbian Anna: Player not sorting correctly

Advisor
lily1207

Symbian Anna: Player not sorting correctly

Hi!

I updated my N8 to Anna today including the two additional packages. My PC is 0599762 (german dark grey). Excuse my maybe not perfect english. I hope the reader wiill understand it anyway...

I encountered a really annoying problem with the music player.

At the moment I have 5.33 GB with 689 songs in 54 albums on my N8. All songs are tagged correctly and are tagged and named (file name) in the same way. But regardless the correct naming and tagging of all songs in the same manner the player shows me only some albums as albums. That means: in the overview you can read i.e. "Madonna" and "Music" as info. Clicking on it opens the album with all titles.

But... most albums are splitted in everey single title in the overview. That means I have for example 17 identical cover arts with there titles for each title of an album in the overview/gallery.

That makes the player completely useless if not waste. You can't hear one complete album title for title.

I yet tried to re-tag the songs and to rename them in different ways. But nothing solved the problem.

So the nokia developers should quickly deliver a working player.

And what I can understand least is that this occurs - but not with all songs/albums.

Chris

btw: you should also implement a customizable equalizer. Missing that is a hige step backwards from the player in my old N78

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ryball

Same story with my n8. Music player is useless for me now.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
imlite

Well I have found the same problem and with 5GB of albums its a real big problem. what seems to be happening is that the music player is sorting by artist and not by album.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
BorekLodz

the same here

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rvandi

same here, nokia can you please fix this for god's sakes? it is a music player, one basic function of a smartphone nowadays..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ragnagorg

Music player in Symbian Anna support ID3v2 tag and this is little bit diferent as old versions. For correct sorting in music player media library, you have to add a required parameter to ID3 tag. Parameter name is ALBUM ARTIST and value is the name of artist or title of album. To change ID3 tag you can use free Windows software Mp3tag or you can use Winamp, wich support ID3v2 tag (new versions of Winamp).

For example:

Title: Snowflakes (Edit)
Album: Dream Dance Vol 58
Artist: Dream Dance Alliance
Album Artist: Dream Dance Vol 58

Title: See The Light (Single Mix)
Artist: Pulsedriver

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ryball

ragnagorg wrote:

Music player in Symbian Anna support ID3v2 tag and this is little bit diferent as old versions. For correct sorting in music player media library, you have to add a required parameter to ID3 tag. Parameter name is ALBUM ARTIST and value is the name of artist or title of album. To change ID3 tag you can use free Windows software Mp3tag or you can use Winamp, wich support ID3v2 tag (new versions of Winamp).

For example:

Title: Snowflakes (Edit)
Artist: Dream Dance Alliance

Title: See The Light (Single Mix)
Artist: Pulsedriver

Thanks. Everything is fine now.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
lily1207

Hi!

Please excuse the rude words but what a stupid new idea ist that?

Why changing what was working correctly before? Why not use the album-tag as it's meant to sort by album?

I have about 14.000 songs on my pc and now I have to re-do all the tagging because nokia developers decided to use a "new" tag for the simple task to sort by album?

Besides the extra work... I have never seen a mp3-player that is not able to sort songs by album with the tag "album-artist" not filled out. So it is obviously that (nearly) all players are using the "album"-tag.

Furthermore...as the name of the tag "album artist" says it seems that it originally was not meant to be used for this purpose. In that tag should be the ARTIST of the album not the album title.

Chris

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Absoultely agreed! I have the same problem with roughly 30 gigs of music (using a micro SD card on my N8). It's so bad, I had to roll back to PR 1.2 (the version before Anna). Needless to say that now I can't take advantage of the new camera improvements either. This is ridiculous! I would highly appreciate at least having the option in the new Anna music player to go back to the old sorting algorithm.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

mazze wrote:

Absolutely agreed! I have the same problem with roughly 30 gigs of music (using a micro SD card on my N8). It's so bad, I had to roll back to PR 1.2 (the version before Anna). Needless to say that now I can't take advantage of the new camera improvements either. This is ridiculous! I would highly appreciate at least having the option in the new Anna music player to go back to the old sorting algorithm.

How did you roll back to PR 1.2 !!!!!!!

What method did you use.If your capable enough to put 30 gigs of music exactly how you like it on a N8 running PR 1.2 (which  despite its many splendid capabilities the organization of music is not one of them LOL) You also seem to be savvy enough to roll back to a previous firmware

My question is why did you not just retag your music collection on your computer then reload it to your phone after all as you no doubt well know this is  not a long process 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jamie0411

[ Edited ]

Yes i think Nokia has Missed this issue out during testing Symbian Anna :/ all my Now thats what i call music Albums have split up into seperate artists.

Soo annoying , come on nokia get it sorted !

If you have not seen the problem here is an example !

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I rolled back using the Scandinavian version. Do a Google search or check out this link:

http://techprolonged.com/index.php/2011/08/22/tutorial-how-to-downgrade-nokia-n8-from-symbian-belle-...

Retagging 30 gigs of music manually? That sounds fun! No, I'm not up for that. I'm now looking into writing a few lines of code that's supposed to handle the retagging automatically. If that works I might upgrade to Anna again. Besides I use Napster To Go, which downloads my music directly to the phone. Before I could just plug it on and sync it, now I get such a mess. This is really disappointing and it shows once more how little commitment there is to actually enhance the user experience. It has taken 10 months for Nokia to come up with a portrait keyboard (one of the most widely requested features) and the browser still sucks compared to Opera. So I'm not expecting any fixes from Nokia regarding the music tagging issue anytime soon. Certainly not before Belle, but more likely not at all. That's why I'm now trying to fix it myself by writing that app.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Ok. This is a serious **bleep** up on the part of Nokia. And no, this time Nokia's usual excuse for bugs "no, but it was MEANT to be like that" really can't be applied. I checked the tagging from my Napster WMA songs and they are all correct. In the attached screenshot you can clearly see the categories album and artist (= Interpret in German). On the selected file "Secret Fish" from "Lux" you can see what needs to be done in order to make the Symbian music player group albums composed of different artists correctly. The artist name needs to be changed to the album name! Can you believe that?!? This is absolutely nuts! Needless to say that the artist information gets lost by renaming it to the album name. The only work around is to add it to the song title, e.g. in the format: song title - artist. 

I have written a few lines of code that'll do the job for me automatically since I'm not up for retagging 30 gigs of music manually. But Nokia, seriously, how could this happen? Do you never betatest anything? I really love Nokia products, but the software continuous to be a huge disappointment! In a way, even though I hate tiles, I am now actually looking forward to Windows because Nokia software development (at least Symbian) is such a big joke!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ammad123

AGREED!

*ARTISTS* and *ALBUMS* need to be two different bloody categories!

Symbian S60 5TH Music Player was the best Symbian Music Player Ever !!!

S^3 is such a downgrade its not even funny

oh how i miss my 5800

Please use plain text.
wasd

Just download TagScanner and write ALBUM ARTIST to all your music.

I tried. It`s really better than earlier. It reminds me my old N95. Thanks Nokia )

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

I miss the s60 6th music player on my n8.

It's impossible to sort by ARTISTS only (BIG ISSUE!) and to customize the equalizer.

I can't see the reason nokia changed this in symbian^3. for me the player is useless now. Everything is fine with the phone and i'm looking forward to symbian belle, only the music player. every 20 euro mp3 player is able to sort logically. I hope nokia doesn't ignore the feedbacks of the users...

A "playing now" list would also be nice (just like an "on the go" list of an ipod).

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

Please avoid using foul and offensive languages in this forum.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ammad123

[ Edited ]

Does Symbian Belle solve this issue?? Can anybody confirm this!? Please. All i've seen from the recent Belle videos on youtube is when they open the music player it opens to "Albums" , this Appears to be a separate category... SO i'm hoping the other options are 'artists' and 'songs'... No? Its really frustrating because no one fully shows the belle music player. Nokia..listen to us! Because its not hard to switch to an iPod -_- ...and please understand we are VERY **bleeped** OFF not because Anna music player sucks..but because allot of us coming from our Symbian S60 devices are in a state of horror over the downgrade the S-3 music player is. C'mon, you can do better.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Technical Expert (retired)
ThreeOs

Hi all,

Some information regarding this topic in that following post:

/t5/Software-Updates/Symbian-Anna-Troubleshooting/m-p/1127967#M96453 (FA136025)

-ThreeOS

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
heineoen

Separate ARTISTS AND ALBUMS now!!
N8 FW: 022.014 -- Please separate Artist & Albums!
N86 8MP FW: 30.009 -- We need a new FW on this phone!
E51 FW: 410.34.001
E70 FW: 2.0618.07.10 -- Why no v3 for my code?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
MarkiQon

There's no chance of this getting sorted anna has been a right ####up!  Actually i'd rather go back to the old firmware than have it fixed.

Please use plain text.