Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

downloaded music as ringtone?? how??

Registered Member

downloaded music as ringtone?? how??

Why can't I use the songs I've bought from Nokia Music Store as ringtones? Is it possible? How?

Thank you thank you thank you!!

Please use plain text.
Employee
elinahlberg

Re: downloaded music as ringtone?? how??

Hi!

You won't be able to use tracks from Nokia Music Store as ringtones, as they are DRM protected.

Cheers,

elin

------------------------------------------------
http://www.nokia.com/support
Please use plain text.

I, too, was shocked to find out last night, after getting a nokia comes with music phone (5130) earlier yesterday, that the music downloaded (and thus paid for!!) from the store can't be used as ringtones on my brand new comes with music phone. I'm **bleep** and feel I've been fooled by Nokia - I thought it was obvious you can use the songs as ringtones as well. What's the difference if you just listen to the songs on your phone or if you use them as ringtones?? I've paid for these songs and should be able to use them, too. I realize the reason why the songs can't be used on other devices, but this is the device I bought them for!

There should have been information about this issue, both on the webpages about nokia comes with music, in the stores selling these phones with the "music service", and finally in the phone packagage/instructions manual the very least! Nothing was said ANYWHERE except here, where other **bleep** people with the same problem brought it up. By not saying anything anywhere about this is the same as letting customers think otherwise. It's OBVIOUS that people purchasing this phone with the music service are thinking that once you buy the music, you can also set it up as ringtones on your phone. This was the main reason for me to buy a comes with music phone! I have my own music on my PC and a mp3 player to listen to it, I just wanted real songs as ringtones on my new phone and thought this was what the service is for. I realize some people may want to use their phone as just a music player, too, which you can do, but these discussion forums alone make it clear that many people wanted the same thing as me.

The replies to other similar posts on this forum have been of the nature "it's not Nokia's problem, it's the DRM". Of course it is also Nokia's problem and responsibility, you are the ones selling the phones with this licence! It's not helpful if you tell us only AFTER we've bought the phone and AFTER someone realizes they aren't given what they thought they paid for that "in fact, this is the deal and that's it".

Furthermore, the licence I bought is for the PHONE, not the memorycard. It even says on the nokia webpages that the music is for "your mobile device". I can't use the memory card by itself, can I? Not clearly stating out how it is is the same as lieing to the customers. It also won't help if the info is changed now as the damage has already happened. I would have bought the phone alone, without the comes with music licence, had I known about this. I think here's enough unfairness to take this matter into a customer protection service.

- Disappointed

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
SexInABox

Completely agree, it's ridiculous. Now if i want a certain song as a ringtone, i'll have to get another copy of it onto my phone. Very annoyed. Tempted to give their customer services an earful and get my money refunded onto my nokia music store account.

Please use plain text.