Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Mobile version now available via WidSets

Ex-Administrator (Retired)
vandelay

Mobile version now available via WidSets

Hi all,

I am happy to tell you that we recently joined forces with the Nokia WidSets team to create a "widget" for Nokia Support Discussions.

With WidSets, you can get your favorite web content straight to your mobile device. WidSets works on over 300 phone models from all manufacturers. Using WidSets is free of charge apart from any data traffic charges by your operator.

The Discussions widget is basically a light, mobile version of Nokia Support Discussions. Although the boards work pretty well with device browsers, the pages can be quite heavy to load and there's a lot of data traffic. The widget only downloads the texts, making the experience very fast and user-friendly on most mobile devices.

The new widget lets you search and read messages posted by Nokia users on this global discussion board, which is available via several Nokia websites around the world. There are almost 250 000 posts in 40 000 different topics, so you won't run out of things to read.

Note that you won't be able to login or make posts, but you can search and read all posts.

The widget was created by utilizing the board software's API interface. This enabled us to create an elaborate and feature-rich widget that aligns very nicely with the online version of the service.

If you haven't yet discovered the fascinating world of WidSets, you can start by visiting
www.widsets.com

If you already have installed WidSets, just add the Nokia Support Discussions widget from
http://www.widsets.com/widget/227607834

I wrote all my posts from 2005-2011 as an "Admin" for this community. I still work for Nokia as an external consultant, so my rank in all posts is now "Employee".
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Quoting vandelay:

"Although the boards work pretty well with device browsers, ..."

Actually, they don't right now.

Something over the past couple of weeks has broken the CSS as far as Safari is concerned, and the mobile browser at least in the N95 and presumably in other Nseries devices is based on Safari:

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
vandelay

Thanks grschinon,

we're aware of the problem you described and it is being investigated. It started late last week and it's not limited just to Discussions as the main navigation of at least the Europe site looks like that on every page.

(I actually sent a similar screenshot of my N95 to the Nokia.com maintenance team when we noticed this. But the good news is that the new widget still looks just fine :smileywink:

I wrote all my posts from 2005-2011 as an "Admin" for this community. I still work for Nokia as an external consultant, so my rank in all posts is now "Employee".
Please use plain text.
Sage
dani2xll

I am not sure i understand the difference between nokia widgets and widsets? I have the n95-3 which i believe now has the wgz capability built-in. so how do i download apps in wgz format. When i go to widsets.com it lists widsets that can be viewed in their widsets java launcher. I dont have nor want to use the java launcher.
History is a mirror of the past!
And a lesson for the present!
(Persian Proverb)
Please use plain text.
vandelay

[ Edited ]
Hi dani2xll,

thanks for that, excellent question. I agree it's not that easy to distinguish between widsets, widgets and gadgets.

The new mobile version of Nokia Support Discussions is indeed based on the java launcher of WidSets.com. The WidSets applications - they're called "widgets" - work on over 300 phone models from all manufacturers. You need to register at WidSets.com before you can add any of the thousands of widgets that are available.

The .wgz applications - apparently they're also called "widgets" - you mentioned are a similar but newer thing. Theyre based on WRT (web run time) technology, which is currently supported by N95, E90, N82 and N78 (N95 and E90 may require the latest sw update for this.) These WRT widgets can be run independently, straight from the device desktop.

And yes, we are certainly looking into the possibility of getting Discussions to work also via a WRT widget on all compatible phones.
(And if it was up to us in the Nokia Support Discussions team, such a widget would naturally be preinstalled in every compatible device :smileywink: )

edit: and with gadgets, I don't mean physical products but applications that run on a Vista or a Mac desktop or Igoogle. Stay tuned - more news about gadgets in the next few days!

Message Edited by vandelay on 06-Jun-2008 02:20 PM

Please use plain text.
Sage
dani2xll

Many thanks for the information above. Yes it was the wgz that i was trying to get to work with Nokia Support Discussions. I guess i will have to wait for a wgz widget for it. While your here do you know of a website where can see what wgz widgets are available? I have tried nokia's own http://www.s60.com/business/whatss60/enablingtechnologies/webruntime but although its advertising wgz widgets, there is no link for downloading any, nor any links to find them.
(Persian Proverb)
Please use plain text.
Sage

Hi dani2xll
There are now some Widgets available through Download folder.
Please use plain text.
Sage
dani2xll

Thanks for the info but i think thats widsets and not the wgz widgets. widsets are the java apps which i dont want to have installed on my phone but thank you for your help.
(Persian Proverb)
Please use plain text.
vandelay

I've just learnt that there are a few WRT widgets available from www.nokia.mobi/widgets

so just visit that page on your device browser.

Some user generated widgets are also available at
http://mosh.nokia.com

-> search for wrt to find a few dozen widgets there.

Please use plain text.
Sage
dani2xll

16-Jun-2008 01:07 PM
vandelay wrote:
I've just learnt that there are a few WRT widgets available from www.nokia.mobi/widgets

so just visit that page on your device browser.

Some user generated widgets are also available at
http://mosh.nokia.com

-> search for wrt to find a few dozen widgets there.

thank you, will head there now. At moment i only have the weather widget. Its sooooo useful. I dont know how i survived without it.
(Persian Proverb)
Please use plain text.
vandelay

And here is the Nokia webpage that tells a bit more about both WidSets and wrt widgets:
http://europe.nokia.com/A41013687

Please use plain text.