Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: 3 Soft Keys NO LONGER LIGHT UP

Contributor
clive_merritt

3 Soft Keys NO LONGER LIGHT UP

[ Edited ]

Why is it after the new update the 3 soft keys at the bottom of the lumia 800 no longer work properly, surely this is not what you intented because it would be absolutely ridiculous, you would have made 3 keys for a phone nobody can see in the dark, and as for some reason there is an option to manually adjust brightness and such which can affect the 3 keys performance but the second you change it and go out of that specific menu it resets itself, so please can we have a few answers, enough people have now told of their dismay that the soft keys no longer work, answers answers answers please !!!

Please use plain text.
Janngo007

Set brightness on automatic and they will light up.

Please use plain text.
Azarot

Why i must set the brightss in automatic for have the 3 keys light up???? it is a new bug from nokia...it has not sense....

Please use plain text.
Sage
sealionact

This must be a new bug. I cannot believe that Nokia think that the buttons should behave like this. Even if I leave the brightness on automatic, you can only see the lights on the buttons in very bright surroundings - with the lights off, you cannot see the buttons at all. Come on Nokia, sort this one out quick.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
James2k

[ Edited ]

Exactly. Using my Lumia 800 in the day is fine on any brightness is fine as the soft keys reflect well in daylight, however at night if I want to use medium or high brightness I'm out of luck now if the keys turn off completly. The screen light isn't going to light them up as there's no natural light for them to reflect off! Granted I mostly do use automatic brightness, but on occasion I do use manual brightness settings.

The only reason I can see for this change (if it was planned) is power saving. Which OK fine, but this should be make as additional settings options, not forced (If it was planned that is). Nokia have definitely changed something though. If you go to the Lights test on the Diagnostics and set the backlight intensity to anything greater than 4, the soft keys will go off completly. I would say that's a firmware change plain and simple.

I spoke to a Nokia Suport representative and he seemed surpsied when I told him the Lights test with a backlight greater than 4 turns the soft keys off completly. Nokia need to sort this out!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
GiannisSot

I couldn't agree more. The light intensity is tragic. With this update i lost my perfect screen that i had before. So sad.....Wanna go back and live with the battery problem.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
clive_merritt

no they will not, the lumia is set to automatic brightness as default, the soft keys do not light up after the update, it is a clear bug and it needs fixing, before the update the work, after the update they do not light up, auto brightness is on and always has been

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
VoodooKing

Emm, tragic. Right.

Well, yes it is an inconvenience however if you set your phone to Automatic brightness, you'll find that it's not as bad as it looks unless you're using a screen protector on it.

While I don't mean to presume, do most of you use your phone primarily at night?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
James2k

[ Edited ]

I don't think were all sitting in dark rooms, and yes while automatic brightness works fine, its just a bit of hassle now we can't use medium or high brightness levels in certain scenario's. When you buy a phone you expect the fundamental features to work right?

In this case Nokia just broke one that was working fine prior to this infamous 8106 firmware update. And just to confirm every angle, I restored my phone to the previous firmware revision, checked soft keys worked (They do), upgraded again, hello broken brightness settings. Makes you wonder how extensively this was tested. I mean the first thing I did after I saw the soft keys going screwy was to use the BUILT IN diagnostics tool and run the lights test. Doesn't take much effort really...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jarednz101

OMG... after a terrible 1st handset, endless phone calls to t-mobile and Nokia... I got a replacement last week... Battery still average, sound horrendous... And now... This! Awful 'automatic' light sensing.. In low light the screen is ridiculously low and if you don't use auto... NO soft keys at all. What a disaster. Sorry Nokia, it's over, game over...this is NOT the amazing every day... Other than amazingly bad.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
VoodooKing

jarednz101 wrote:
OMG... after a terrible 1st handset, endless phone calls to t-mobile and Nokia... I got a replacement last week... Battery still average, sound horrendous... And now... This! Awful 'automatic' light sensing.. In low light the screen is ridiculously low and if you don't use auto... NO soft keys at all. What a disaster. Sorry Nokia, it's over, game over...this is NOT the amazing every day... Other than amazingly bad.

Dramatic. I'd like to ask if it was hard for you to remember where the placements of the home, back and search keys are if they were not highlighted?

Use the phone often enough and let muscle memory take care of the rest.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
GiannisSot

So, a Nokia Windows Phone helps you get smarter....WOW....

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Not dramatic. After having a phone sent off to Nokia then returned with exactly the same problems I can fully sympathise.

It's huge hassle and frustration - something you use everyday for many things gone for a while, then still the same or worse.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jarednz101

why is it 'dramatic' to suggest that I've spent hours on the phone already to T-Mobile and Nokia; have already had a handset replaced due to the battery charging problem; have a phone which pops and cracks and has no sound quality (proven in lab tests by GSM Arena) and now have received an update which means my three hot keys dont work any more. I'm stuck in a 24 mth contract and find it ludicrous that a consumer product with so many issues is actually allowed to be sold. I've had mobiles for 15 years and have never any real problems, and I'm surrounded by iPhone users who don't appear to keep having to spend their lunchtimes calling Nokia. 'remembering where the keys are' is not the point - that's like saying "if your headlights on a new car don't work, just drive by memory or strap a torch to the roof'. OK - if I've spent £20 on a phone. NOT OK if it's a £400 'high end' smart phone. Next yerl be suggesting I memorise all my numbers so if the phonebook stops working, it shouldn't matter either??
Please use plain text.
Sage
matthewleech

I updated to the latest firmware and didn't notice that the backlight on the capacitive buttons didn't light up when the ambient light illuminted them for me.

Since spotting and reading this thread I've done a few tests with ambient light levels and how visible the capacitive buttons are.  If people are seeing the same results as me then I don't know why they're complaining, it looks fine.

My opinion is  "Great! A nice battery-saving update".

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
DeathFromAbove

This is a disgrace.  The auto setting is way to dim and the keys dont light up. 

WP is dead
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Maijay

In auto mode I find screen brightness quite dark.. like the manual low setting.

On occasions the auto setting it just brightens up for a short time then goes back to low

Manual medium now seems brighter and high is very bright

Manual low shows lit control buttons while in medium or high mode the backlight is off.

On updating there was no visible changes till I did a hard reset and battery life has improved dramatically.

If I have the phone active for a long while (aka re installing all the apps) the battery reports a dramatic reduction in time left but after a reset the battery time left is back up again.

Using the updated diagnostic reports the phone is using much more power when turning WiFi, Location, etc off (bug?) 

Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

Auto brightness is now useless, I used to have it on that all the time and it was great now I it's too dull and the colours look washed out. I have to leave it on medium, which is too bright if you look at it in the middle of the night in a dark room.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
TayTayTheKiller

"This is a disgrace.  The auto setting is way to dim and the keys dont light up. "

This is nokias battery fix lol

Please use plain text.