Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: 920 battery life issue

Advisor
SlavaKM

[ Edited ]

Bought my Nokia Lumia 920 two weeks ago, and only now I can say the battery is starting to outlast my iPhone4S with similar use.

Biggest drain was me not knowing how to close down the apps. "Backing out" feels very foreign after owning nothing but iPhones since 2007. But i'm proud to say that with some practice i was able to back my way into pretty good battery life.
Other tips i suggest is blocking unnecessary apps from backgrounding.
Delete the useless battery apps, they do nothing but drain the battery even more by requesting status. If you really need to check battery status, do so in the settings.
As i started seeings better results from battery life, i stopped obsessing about checking the phone every 5min to check battery - that seemed to improve performance too.

My only pet peeve now is the ridiculous amount of JPEG compression. An 8.7mp camera should is capable of incredible resolution and yet the JPEG are 2mb files of soft focus and artifacts.
One thing that i would really like to see in some form of an update is to allow the user to set the "quality" of images, aka set the amount of compression. I would gladly trade the 2mb files for 5 or 8mb.

Oh and changing camera from 16:9 ratio to 4:3 does make photos a bit sharper.

Please use plain text.
Bataar

I'm on my second Lumia 920.  I returned the first one due to battery problems and while the second one is doing a little better, I'm probably going to exchange it too.  It's too late for me to switch to a different phone, even if there was another one I wanted so I'm going to keep exchanging them every couple of weeks until I get one that works or Nokia fixes the problem.  I charge my phone every night and most days it charges for a few hours.  But still, I only get about 8 hours max with little use.  Just this last Saturday, I unplugged the phone from the charger at 5:00 pm at 100% charge.  With very little use, one phone call, no games, one or two text messages and about 3 minutes of web browsing, it was at 4% charge by 11:30pm. 

I have tried all the solutions/bandaids people have suggested and this is still the reality. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Bataar wrote:

I'm on my second Lumia 920.  I returned the first one due to battery problems and while the second one is doing a little better, I'm probably going to exchange it too.  It's too late for me to switch to a different phone, even if there was another one I wanted so I'm going to keep exchanging them every couple of weeks until I get one that works or Nokia fixes the problem.  I charge my phone every night and most days it charges for a few hours.  But still, I only get about 8 hours max with little use.  Just this last Saturday, I unplugged the phone from the charger at 5:00 pm at 100% charge.  With very little use, one phone call, no games, one or two text messages and about 3 minutes of web browsing, it was at 4% charge by 11:30pm. 

I have tried all the solutions/bandaids people have suggested and this is still the reality. 

Lithium polymer batteries take a few cycles to achieve optimum performance. Try leaving it for a dozen discharge cycles before returning again. This shouldn;t take too long since it is discharging so quickly. It is not necessary to let the battery drain fully during the discharge cycles. Charging when the low bat warning comes on should suffice.  

I presume you have checked for background apps etc. 

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/Battery-information-and-Tips-for-Lumia-820-and-920/td-p/...

Please use plain text.
Bataar

cjlim wrote:

Bataar wrote:

Lithium polymer batteries take a few cycles to achieve optimum performance. Try leaving it for a dozen discharge cycles before returning again. This shouldn;t take too long since it is discharging so quickly. It is not necessary to let the battery drain fully during the discharge cycles. Charging when the low bat warning comes on should suffice.  

I presume you have checked for background apps etc. 

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/Battery-information-and-Tips-for-Lumia-820-and-920/td-p/...

Yeah, I've closed all background apps that I don't care about.  I think the only ones I have on is weather and a news tile.  I've had this second phone a week today and it's charged to a full charge every night.  I'm going to hang on to it until this weekend, but I want a phone that will give me a full day, 12+ hours of use when it comes to phone, web, messaging (no games), etc.  My old HTC HD7 managed that.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

A full day should be achievable. I am easily getting 2 to 3 days. How often are the weather and news tiles set to sync? Hope not too often.

Please use plain text.
wanglabs

Hi all,

I just got my Lumia 820. I charged my phone to 100% (and unpluggled it from the power outlet) before turning in for the night. When I woke up the next morning, the battery level is still at 100% (I think it's more like close to 100% :smileyhappy:

After combing through all the nightmare posts here, I disabled everything (except for my GSM phone radio so that I can receive calls/SMS :smileyhappy:. This test (unscientifically) proved that the OS and firmware seem to be OK. The battery could be another story as some folks could have gotten "rotten" batteries. :smileyhappy:

Next, I'm gonna turn on location and leave the phone overnight tonite and will post my result.

So far, I'm loving my Lumia 820 except:

- no windows explorer? (windows mobile had it) I wanna move and copy files in the phone!

- battery status percentage not displayed in the main screen of the status bar?

- no close button (pressing the back buton all the time is a pain). Anyone knows if there are 3rd party close buttons (yeah something like I did with my windows mobile phone a while back ago)?

c ya all

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Wyowiz

[ Edited ]

I got a 920 at Microsoft /Build - it has wonderful battery life.  I get 4 days sometimes when not too much happens but always get at least 40 hours.  Wow . . .

So I bought a new one - cyan.  Ugh.  I can get 12 hours if I don't make any phone calls, no one calls me, bluetooth/NFC/WiFi are off, powersave mode on - basically if I don't use it for any reason.  I'm on 5th recharge in 4 days.

What a huge difference!

Bye the by - how do you turn off an app that starts?  I thought Win 8 didn't execute any apps that weren't fron and center.  There sure doesn't seem to be a close button.

Also, has anyone heard anything about the availability of the wireless chargers?  At this rate, I need one for the car, the office, the house, at church, etc. . . .

Tony

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Its only 4 days. Battery life will still be improving. In the meantime ensure all unused services such as nfc, location etc are disabled. Pressing and holding the back arrow will show any apps running in the background. You also disable background task from settings>applications>background tasks.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
michail71

I sent a complaint in to support I I got a form letter back.  The first thing it suggested was putting the phone in airplane mode.  That's a solution??????

Anyway, it seems to be getting better.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tedwud

My first day the battery lasted 9 hours and the 6 hours after the second 12 hour charge cycle. However after another few cycles it now lasts at least 14-15 hours with good general usage so stay with it and condition your battery properly. You will definitely not be dissapointed after a week or so.

Please use plain text.
rifleman

I had the same issue with my new 920. I would charge it all night and at 7am have 100% and by 11am it was dead. That went on for a few days until I read in these posts someone responded that you need to condition the battery. Let the battery run completely out so the phone is dead. Try to turn it on again and keep doing this until the phone wont start at all. Then charge it untill it reaches 100%. The day after I did this my batter lasten a day and a half with moderate to heavy use!

good luck.....Love it!

Please use plain text.
rifleman

Try letting the phone run entirely out so it shuts down. Turn it on again until it wont sart at all. Then charge to 100%. Made my batter last 4 times as long. I get at least a day 1/2 with one charge and heavy use
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Coopmv

I have been following this thread over the past two days.  I have owned a white Lumia 920 and my wife a red Lumia 920 and both were picked up the same day, about 1 1/2 weeks ago.  While my wife has not experienced battery problem, the battery for my phone has been a disaster.  I could have it fully charged up before bedtime, unplugged it from the charger and came the morning, the battery would be down to 20%.  This morning was the first time the battery remained at 100%, but not before I had it fully charged up by 10pm last night and switched off every app that has been discussed on this thread.  The first time I tried to text my sister this morning, the phone told me the "send" had failed, apparently because I had switched off the wi-fi.  So I re-enabled the wi-fi and exchanged a few text messages with my sister.  It is now 8:47am and the battery is down to 66% after a small handful of text messages and browsing my settings and some emails a few times.  I have turned off the airplane mode, whatever that means, as one of the posts suggested that turning on the airplane mode has an adverse effect on battery life.  I have yet to let the battery completely run down but plug the phone in the charger as soon as I have noticed a heart on the battery icon.

I went to the AT&T store on Friday and the sale guy who sold me the phone noticed I had not downloaded a number of updates pushed out by AT&T to my phone.  He downloaded those updates for me and claimed that should solve my problem.  Apparently, it only had some marginal impact on my battery life.  To go from 100% at 7am to 66% at 8:45am only after moderate use is not a good sign.  I am beginning to wonder if I have a bad battery after all.  Other than this nagging battery life problem, the phone is a great smartphone and it certainly looks like iPhone has gotten a worthwhile third competitor, which is a win-win for all consumers. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Coopmv

Does it really matter if you let the battery completely run down, i.e. so the 920 cannot even be turned on before you re-charge? Some people claimed it should not matter ...
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
LadyX3

Thanks everyone for this post, I too have had battery problems, drains very quickly, but I fiddle with this phone all the time, so much fun. I live out in the bush, and only have 1 bar of reception in our house, in most rooms, sometimes 2,, outside I get 3 to 4 bars, all depends where I am,but I understand if you don't have full reception on any phone , it will drain the battery as battery has to work twice as hard . Telstra also told me to drain battery every day for about 5 days till phone is dead then charge it fully, and this will improve battery life.But since then I have been told I shouldnt do that as it will wreck battery, so am confused, Has anyone got any ideas, as am reluctant to drain battery for 5 days , would hate to wreck it.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

[ Edited ]

You only need to drain your battery once to calibrate your phone. Even then, it is not necessary to drain it until the phone switches off. Just drain it as low as you can.  And you only need to calibrate your battery once every few months. Rest of the time just charge as necessary. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Coopmv

My battery was completely drained down at 3pm today.  The battery was all charged up at 10pm yesterday and as of 7am this morning, it was still at 100% .  This was meaningful progress, as a few days earlier, a fully charged battery the previous night was drained down to 20% by the next morning when I got up.  I only sent a few text messages and browsed my phone settings today.  I also disabled NFC and wi-fi overnight.  As such, the rate at which the battery drained down is pretty disturbing to say the least.  I cannot wait to see how the re-conditioning of the battery would work for me.  How long does the battery take to be 100% charged up after it has been completely drained down?   

Please use plain text.
tmorris15

Has Nokia officially released anything on this yet? I initially had battery issues when I first got the phone, but after conditioning the battery, length of life seemed to get a lot better, so I thought the problem was solved. But recently I have noticed my phone getting really hot at the top and having an extremely fast battery drain, from 100% to 15% in 4hrs, with no use. After it happened the first time, I made sure everything was off except cell service (wireless, Bluetooth, tap + send, location) no apps were opened in background and the only ones I have allowed are weather and battery level. Recharged phone at night and went to work. Once again battery drained in 4hrs just sitting in my pocket, felt like it was on fire. I have full LTE service at work, don't know if that matters. Oh, and live.com and gmail are set to retrieve mail every 15 minutes.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Coopmv

After having completely drained the battery yesterday afternoon and started re-charging (re-conditioning) it since 3pm yesterday until 8am this morning, I have somewhat better news to report.  The battery went from 100% at 8am to 88% at 5:30pm today.  It looks like promising progress, though I only made a quick phone call and sent a medium-length text message while spending the rest of the time monitoring the battery level and background app status - probably no more than 30 minutes cumulative time.  Unfortunately, this was really not real-life applications of the phone since I am on vacation today.  Hopefully, the battery starts to behave much better in coming days, or I will return it to the AT&T store.  One thing I have noticed, the phone is running much cooler after I have turned off the background tasks, which are probably the culprits in draining the battery down so fast ... 

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

tmorris15, just take it back and exchange for a new one. You can't be expected to turn off everything including LTE just to get a normal battery life. Besides, it should never get hot, warm maybe but not hot.

Please use plain text.