Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: 920 battery life issue

Contributor
The_Harimau

You mean the "people" app?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
chris11

[ Edited ]

I'm really starting to agree with someone's statement that Nokia need to admit they have a hardware issue and tackle this now. Im literally having to recharge my phone inside every 24 hours, which is a huge step backwards from my iPhone 4. Don't get me wrong it's a great device, but I've followed all the different battery life recommendations posted on the forums and nothings made a dent. I found a review on a respected website having the exact same issues as us. 

My setup:

• I have 2 email accounts, and they only check every 2 hrs (was every 30 mins on my iPhone and that lasted 2 days on one charge)
  • facebook and ttwitter
  • a bit web browsing

So it's either W8 not managing the power/apps correctly or an issue with the hardware. I'm not sure where to go from here, especially if you consider battery life is only going decrease over my 2 year contract. 

So what do I do next, should I get a replacement handset? Wait for os update, speak to Nokia direct? Any ideas

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Coopmv

After I had allowed the battery run down twice when the last time I let the battery drain so completely that the phone would not even power up, I had it fully charged up.  After that, for probably close to 2 weeks, the battery drain was minimal through normal/minimal use.  Then all of a sudden, beginning 2 days ago, the quick battery drain problem returned for no obvious reasons.  I checked all the settings to ensure the usual culprits (background tasks, airplane mode, etc) had not been enabled by accidents and they were not.  I bought the phone from my local AT&T store with my wife on Black Friday.  I have a white model while she has a red and she has never experienced this fast battery drain problem.  Does anyone share my problem, i.e.  problem appeared to be cured for a while, then return again?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
RichL

Still having battery issues after one month.  It drains from 100% to less than 50% over night.  All background tasks are blocked, all email is manual, signal strength is weak.  Am I dealing with software or hardware issues?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Coopmv

What I have noticed so far is, whenever the 920 feels warm after a full charge, the battery tends to run down pretty fast.  However, there are times after a full charge, the 920 does not feel warm and that is when the battery does not run down fast and in fact can last for over 2 days without significant battery drain.  Needless to say, I am more than confused as to what the hell is going on.  Also, I have not spent anytime comparing the regular charger and the wireless charger.  By the way, it has been a month since my wife and I bought the 920 and she still has not received her red wireless charger ...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Coopmv

I called it a day at 11 last night.  My 920 was at 100% then but when I got up at 6 this morning, it was down to 27% - a familiar story for some of you by now.  Then I noticed an AT&T reminder to download updates and I downloaded and installed everything.  That was probably a little before 7am.  I then plugged the 920 into the regular charger (not that the regular charger and the wireless charger should make any difference).   The battery was charged up to 100% by 10am.  After the last re-charge, the 920 stayed cool.  It is now 3 hours later and it is still at 100%.  During those 3 hours, I deleted a few junk emails and checked battery level, so it was not a 3-hour period when I did absolutely nothing on the phone.  Perhaps the latest software updates fixed the problem?  Somehow some earlier updates fixed the problem too, but then some subsequent updates might have re-introduced the bugs.  This is just too confusing.  I am hitting the AT&T store after I am done with my telecommuting for the day.

Please use plain text.
jorge01

I bought my Nokia Lumia 920 last 11/28/2012 and the first week battery life was very good.  1 full charge in standby mode can last up to 48hrs.  But recently (12/26/2012), an update was pushed to the phone and caused the battery to warm up.  A full battery charge from 8am only lasted until 2pm (about 6hrs).  The OS version is 8.0.10211.204.  I had recharged the battery at 7pm and now getting a 1% battery discharge every 5mins.  I'll further monitor the battery discharge using the Battery Level dashboard (installed since 11/28/2012) to determine if the battery shorted out.

Please use plain text.
ttsoldier

[ Edited ]

I registered just to post to this thread.

I have ridiculous battery life as well. It will be a chore to return this phone.

I just wish someone from nokia / microsoft could say "wait. a firmware/software update is coming". Then I would wait. But no one is saying anything....  I don't want to return it and take a chance only to end up with further defective device. Someone, please speak up!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
harsh_83

this phone is a brick... the problem with the battery is so annoying, still Nokia is not doing anything about it.. I have seen a lot of ppl suggesting here to set mail sync off, wifi off, nfc off, bluetooth off,  data off, contrast off, blah off blah off... why should any1 buy a phone which has to be kept as a show piece.. and you can't use it with all features off.. I recently bought this phone.. was on the road the phone was a brick for me till noon after a full charge in the night and had no means to recharge it has without any network.. this has happened not once but now I have lost count when the battery of the phone has died.. I am stuck with a contract else this phone is nothing but yet again a failure..

I am writing this with disappointement rather than complain...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sunbud

I noticed that NFC is turned on in the factory settings, this might suggest that NFC is always on, draining battery life. ive turned it off tonight and ill report on if that has made a difference.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ng85

Harsh_83 Did you check under settings-applications-background tasks to see which applications are active. Do disable the background tasks for those which you don't use. Also note that the battery will take a few charge-discharge cycle before it comes to its full potential.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as solution if it solves your problem.
Current Device - Nokia Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
martianinvasion

Having the same issue guys, only it happened AFTER I updated to the new os update. Before the update, my lumia 920 lasted 24 hrs or more on light usage. Now, it drains within 12 hours of charging on standby overnight.  Emailed Nokia, they gave me a couple of tips, none of which worked. One was to delete all email accounts and set them up again, the other was To turn the phone on/off and then keep airplane mode on for 30 mins. None of these methods have worked. Irony was that this update was supposed to fix the battery issues and improve battery life. Regretting the update. Folks, if it ain't broke, don't fix(update) it.

Please use plain text.
fraggy

Me and my wife are both having battery issues that did not exist to this extreme before.

Before the BIG update (OS update) my battery life was ok, wife's battery life was good. Maybe an app difference?

Then, after the update, battery life for both was EXCELLENT!!

Now, about a week or so ago, we got an update to 2 apps, built in apps... i cant recall which ones, I want to say network+ and about or extra+info or one of those apps you cant see in the app list but you can see on the settings screen.

Now after this latest 2 app update, both our batteries are getting chewed up without doing anything at all. 

Before the 2 apps were updated, I would use the phone as normal and get home after work with about 80%+ battery. 

Now I am lucky to have over 50%. I notice it sometimes gets hot, like it was when battery life was only ok, but now battery is worse.

So my problem I believe is the 2 apps that were updated.

I will also note that we changed about 2 weeks ago or so to using the WIRELESS chargers, no clue if that affects anything or not.

But the coincidence to me seems the update of those 2 apps. After the OS update everything was good. Now its not so good. I havent tried it yet, but I will power down/restart the phone and see it that helps.

But my gut still says its those 2 apps that were updated, which might explain why someone who just got a phone and updated it or was already updated is having the battery issues.

To Sum, after the OS update: Battery Good

After the last 2 app update: Battery Bad

At least for me. Interested to know if anyone else has this same pattern.

Please use plain text.
martianinvasion

Update:

i uninstalled some recent apps and battery life has improved to the way it was before. some of these apps run in the background and are battery drains, so fiddle around with the apps to fix battery problem.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
joeynox

there is a major problem with the battery in  the Lumia 920.  I bought the cyan lumia 920 on launch day in November. My battery was terrible. it lasted only a few hours.  ATT replaced it with a new unit and that unit was worse (2). I emailed Stephen Elop and told him  about the poor quaility of the lumia 920 and he had a new unit   shipped to me in 2 days ( great!!) and that unit (#3) worked great. then the Latest portico  update was released and it destroyed my perfectly working battery. if i dont touch the phone its  fine but  if i  make a 10 minute phone call i cal lose like %10-15% of battery life.  emails or sending text messages make the phone get hot.  so i  emailed Stephen Elop again and  have ( phone #4) on the way. how ridiculous is it that since November  ill be on  my 4th phone.I whish i bought a nexus 4 or  a gs3.. once my 4th phone comes im listing it on ebay.

Please use plain text.
jorge01

After days of annoying battery issues and intermittent restarts, I finally found the issue. The wireless update push to my Nokia Lumia 920 is corrupted. Firmware 1232.5951.1249.0001 was pushed to my device last Dec. 21 then it started to show these symptoms.  I re-flashed my firmware 3days ago and the issues are resolved.  My battery life can last up to 48hrs now as long as the background tasks and NFC sharing are blocked/turned off.  Too bad I need to reinstall the apps rather than restoring from backup to ensure it is a clean install.  So far my Nokia Lumia 920 is a keeper.

Please use plain text.
das32

I'm having this exact same problem.  Got the phone a few weeks ago, the battery life started out kind of poor but after a few charge/discharge cycles it improved to where I could get 2 days with light usage.  Then 2 or 3 days ago battery life fell off a cliff, I go to bed with a fully charged phone and wake up to find it dead.

This is extremely frustrating, hopefully Nokia or Microsoft will at least put out some sort of statement in the near future. In the meantime I guess I'll try fiddling with settings and uninstalling apps.

Please use plain text.
bit2in

[ Edited ]

I have the same issue as you. I exchanged it but has the same problem with the new one. I send it to Nokia for repair because it was past the 14 days that AT&T allow you to exchange. I also downloaded the new firmware because it includes better battery management but didn't work. Almost all of the Apps are either blocked or turned off. After a week analyzing my phone they're sending it back to me & I was told that they can't replicate the problem I was having. So, I'm stuck with a phone that lasts only 7 to 8 hours of very minimum use, maybe 1 call, 4 text & checking Facebook 4 times a day for around 30 seconds cuz  I'm conserving my battery. I've used several versions of iPhone in the last 5 years & the battery lasts a long time. Place 10 calls, 10 text, web surfing, lots of Facebook usage without battery issues. If this problem persists, I will be selling it & will go back to iPhone or smartphones with removable battery. Nokia just lost a customer for life.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tharkesher

As my experience with other phone OS like iPhones, Blackberry Nokia can improve this issue with only software upgrades only
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
peashooter

I have been battling battery issues and overheating for a while on my phone.  Some games are duds and cause the overheating.  The battery life seems to be Yahoo IMAP mail for me.  It will cycle forever.  I had it polling every 15 minutes and now have gone to manual.  I also had it syncing ALL Mail and moved it to the last month.  Proof:

When syncing the email, I would get my yahoo email fine....if I went into settings from the mail app and clicked on my Yahoo account.  I couldn't edit the setting because it was still syncing...even though it delivered the mail.  So behind the scenes it must have been looping through al the IMAP folders and puking.  I was also getting a bunch of yahoo errors as soon as I opened the mail imap.

I also removed the winmobi prefix from the SMPT and inbound servers in settings to use the regular IMAP server for mail.  2 days in and battery life is better.

Please use plain text.